Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Anyone heard anything on Blackberry Connect? There doesn't seem to be anything, anywhere. Hoping it might come in the Treo 650 GSM? First quarter? 2005?
    I emailed Blackberry this week and got the canned response that said they don't know when and that I should check with PalmOne. Not sure why I need to check with PalmOne unless it's a licensing thing?
    Quote Originally Posted by AdamF
    Not sure why I need to check with PalmOne unless it's a licensing thing?
    I'm sure I know why. They are lazy and secretive. :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by AdamF
    I emailed Blackberry this week and got the canned response that said they don't know when and that I should check with PalmOne. Not sure why I need to check with PalmOne unless it's a licensing thing?
    I've also been corresponding with RIM. Samsung is currently the only company who has publicly announced they have licensed Blackberry Connect for Palm. Until Palm licenses it, you won't see it on the Treo.

When I spoke with a product manager from RIM about a year ago they told me that the Blackberry Connect for Palm would NOT be a simple application that could be downloaded and installed. It would have to be embedded in the OS and OEM'd with a hardware manufacture. This would explain why the licensing is with Samsung or potentially Palm (for the Treo) and not the end user. It would also make sense because the current Palm OS is not really multi-threaded. I understand Cobalt (the next version of the Palm OS) solves that problem but the Treo's have 5.x (not Cobalt).

I would hope that there would be a way to re-flash the Treo if they do end up licensing it so current Treo users could get it installed.
    Disappointing... the press release from both Palm and RIM (http://www.palmsource.com/press/2004/051704_rim.html) said 2nd 1/2 of '04. Probably won't see anything until 2nd 1/2 of '05.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12