View Poll Results: Buy the 650 or not?

Voters
52. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

45 86.54%
  • No

7 13.46%
  1.    #1  
    Is it really worth it to buy the 650? I currently have an Audiovox PM8920 but really need to know if the 650 is all it is cracked up to be?

Thanks!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by cgooge
    Is it really worth it to buy the 650? I currently have an Audiovox PM8920 but really need to know if the 650 is all it is cracked up to be?

Thanks!!!
    Yes it is.

You're welcome!!
    You may be right; I may be crazy. But, the Treo may be just the device I've been looking for.
  3.    #3  
    Thanks Rodolfo...exactly the type response I wanted

Seriously though, thanks!
    YES !
    I'll prolly get flamed for this comparison but...
    the treo is like buying a Ferrari... highly tuned, requires more maintenance than a Toyota
    Quote Originally Posted by cgooge

Thanks!!!
    Depends on what you're looking for. You didn't say...
    It really depends on your situation. For me, it was worth it. You've read the forum. You know the bugs and you know the things it does well. For instance, knowing that the memory size is somewhat restrictive, is an SD card and Powerrun or other similar memory management application good enough for you? Can you wait for a fix from PalmOne? Or do you need to store a lot of apps in main memory - or just don't like using the memory managing apps?

Also, some people have reported problems with the sound quality (though a beta fix looks promising). Do you mind playing with beta software if you have a sound problem or are you willing to wait for a fix?

It really matters on your needs and, to a certain extent, on your patience.
  7.    #7  
    I had a 600 that was refurbished...loved all the features. I will basically use every function that comes with it. Was more or less just looking for a yes or a no without a justification....those of you that have one do you recommend it?
    I was skeptical at first, and it has flaws here and there, resets from time to time, but overall, this machine is totally awesome.
    Happy with mine.
    I agree that it totally depends on what you want, what you are going to do with it, and your personal tastes or preferences. I loved my Treo 600. I have several friends that have the 650 and absolutely love it as well. But I opted for the PPC-6601 as it did more for what my work demands of me.

Personally the major turn offs for me changing my original plans of upgrading to the 650 was lack of memory and memory issues, no Wifi support, issues with not being able to make outgoing calls while roaming, and crippled BT.

The PPC-660x had a couple issue as well, like a beeping that disconnected incoming calls with Sprint brand only, and BT issues with headsets. Both appear to have been fixed on VZN and Cinglar or are just about to have an update to fix them with Sprint.

Here are my detailed thoughts of both phones from a Treo lover with an realistic view of what works for my needs:

Using 6601 On the Road for Week.....

and

Innocent 650 vs 6601 Business Trip Showdown
    Quote Originally Posted by mattTarr
    YES !
    I'll prolly get flamed for this comparison but...
    the treo is like buying a Ferrari... highly tuned, requires more maintenance than a Toyota
    I don't yet have a TREO 650 as I was waiting on the GSM version. Something keeps bothering me, though, and I think matt just hit it on the head. This thing is at the moment functional ONLY for power users, or those good people who peruse this board on TreoCentral.com, arguably the very same folks. It really is like having a Ferrari, but having it in a town where you have no dealer or repair shop. You have to be a "power driver" or a mechanic or something. Here's why:

1. Upgrading from another Palm OS unit... If you followed the initial incorrect instructions, you get a Hard Reset till the cows come home. You had to be digging deep on the PalmOne site, or see what was posted here at TreoCentral.com to do it right.

2. Memory.... The "Ferrari 650" comes with an engine that doesn't have the horsepower or the MPG or something that everyone thought it did. Somebody figured out to use an SD card and ZLauncher or other equal programs. For me, that is nearing the level of rocket science. Don't know if the average user PalmOne was shooting for is facile with this. Again, you need to be a power user or at least a trainable reader of this board to get around it till a patch comes out. But remember, PalmOne said they are working on fixing this, even though only a very, very few power users were gonna have any trouble with the memory limitations in the first place. So, only power users can fix the problem that is only gonna affect power users. The rest of us have to be very careful how much we load onto the machine. Oh well, maybe it makes sense to them.

3. Speaking of sound... Everybody knows by now about Mr. faisal and his (in)famous patch. Here was a big problem...you couldn't be understood at the other end! Can't have a phone doing that! The patch seems to fix that problem, based on what lots of people have said, but it sounds awfully complicated to apply. Again, only power users, and ESPECIALLY those who read TreoCentral.com are gonna be able to make this work. PalmOne is totally silent about any sound problem at all, except for making people pull the patch off the net. Shadowmite, are you getting any flack from PalmOne yet? Because of the accidental release of the ROM tools, the 650 is now poised to be a hacker's paradise. That is beneficial for the consumer, but I'll bet there are a lot of big tremors at PalmOne headquarters, and not from earthquakes.

4. Bluetooth and WiFi... I group these together because the fixes that have made them functional (or will eventually) have come from this here community, and not from PalmOne. Again, applying them is power-user territory.

The sum of the parts is this: the "Ferrari 650" is a really powerful device. PalmOne has dumped it on us with minimal support. The ONLY thing they have said or done is in regards to the memory, and so far all we get is a $2 memory card. You "Ferrari Mechanics" out there can really fly with this thing, even (or maybe especially) without PalmOne's help. But us non-power users are, as they say where I come from, SOL. PalmOne said they weren't targeting the "power users", but then they are the only ones who can really use the thing.

Sorry to thread-jack, but matt's analogy just finally got my three neurons working together!
    Last edited by GWB; 12/19/2004 at 08:00 AM.
    Play with it for few weeks within the return period.
    Congratulations GWB !
    You are Time magazine 'Man Of The Year'.
    BTW, The comment in blue is hilarious.
    Not if yo have a 600 atleast.
    I would still do so, unless it is too complicated such as switching carriers, phone number etc...