Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Is Sprint having a problem with their routing/dns?

I use Snappermail regularly to get several POP email accounts. In the last 24 hours, I can receive but not send.

I checked everything...the accounts work fine when using any other client (ex. desktop, web), and the mail servers are fine.
    This seems to be limited to the 650. (snapper, versa, etc.)

It keeps give a "smtp relaying temporarily disabled" and "could not find ptr record" error messages.

I didn't think Sprint did smtp capture, but it looks like they do.

Anyone else having this problem?

All other network stuff (web, etc) is fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikec
    Is Sprint having a problem with their routing/dns?

I use Snappermail regularly to get several POP email accounts. In the last 24 hours, I can receive but not send.

I checked everything...the accounts work fine when using any other client (ex. desktop, web), and the mail servers are fine.
    This seems to be limited to the 650. (snapper, versa, etc.)

It keeps give a "smtp relaying temporarily disabled" and "could not find ptr record" error messages.

I didn't think Sprint did smtp capture, but it looks like they do.

Anyone else having this problem?

All other network stuff (web, etc) is fine.
    'could not find ptr record' means some nimrod in sprint's services administration turned on an antispam check that broke things. this has happened before. it usually takes them about a day to figure out what's wrong.

alternatively it is indeed a misconfigured ptr, and that also will take about a day for them to figure out.
    Paul Theodoropoulos
    <a href=http://www.anastrophe.com>www.anastrophe.com</a>
    Took forever, but I was just able to sent an email (8:32pm CST 12/18/04)
    No here is what you do. For some reason SnapperMail and Sprint PCS have some small problems and one of them is sending email.. Do this.

In Snapper go to "edit accounts"
    In "Identity" put in your user name then @sprintpcs.com: example user@sprintpcs.com. Below that there is "Reply to". Put your email address that you want people to reply to. Then in "server" set the smtp settings to this.
    smtp.sprintpcs.com
    do your user name like above user@sprintpcs.com and then your password.

It works like this just fine. Make sure you put your user name lol because some people put user@sprintpcs.com lol. Give me a shout, but this should solve problem. This will not screw up your receiving email at all.
  5.    #5  
    Paul...thx for the info.

coolmet...I will try using their smtp servers, which I was not.
    Interesting, I don't have to do this for versamail. With that, I can just set the smtp server to my own server and not point it to sprintpcs.

Quote Originally Posted by coolemt
    No here is what you do. For some reason SnapperMail and Sprint PCS have some small problems and one of them is sending email.. Do this.

In Snapper go to "edit accounts"
    In "Identity" put in your user name then @sprintpcs.com: example user@sprintpcs.com. Below that there is "Reply to". Put your email address that you want people to reply to. Then in "server" set the smtp settings to this.
    smtp.sprintpcs.com
    do your user name like above user@sprintpcs.com and then your password.

It works like this just fine. Make sure you put your user name lol because some people put user@sprintpcs.com lol. Give me a shout, but this should solve problem. This will not screw up your receiving email at all.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
  7.    #7  
    It's day 3 of this problem...I am surprised to see no one else reporting this issue.

btw, putting the sprint smtp servers in there made no difference. It really should not be necessary.

way to go, sprint.
    I just sent an email successfully from the 650 using smtp.sprintpcs.com and Versamail (Sunday 5:25PM Central time in U.S.)
    i am having this issue as well.

whats odd is even with my regular smtp.west.cox.net account i get a relaying error.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by twocows
    i am having this issue as well.

whats odd is even with my regular smtp.west.cox.net account i get a relaying error.

Day 5 and counting.....

Is this a permanent problem?

I am very surprised there is so little chatter on this....does everyone use sprint's smtp servers for outbound? I would think not.

Oh well, I will keep bumping....this is a huge cluster-eff by Sprint.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikec
    Day 5 and counting.....

Is this a permanent problem?

I am very surprised there is so little chatter on this....does everyone use sprint's smtp servers for outbound? I would think not.

Oh well, I will keep bumping....this is a huge cluster-eff by Sprint.
    Sounds like it's very much an isolated problem. Try using versamail to send, perhaps it's your mail client configuration.
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by demoflauchy
    Sounds like it's very much an isolated problem. Try using versamail to send, perhaps it's your mail client configuration.
    I doubt it. This is a major, non-isolated problem.

Worked fine for over a year...now, a sudden problem. This network related, not client.

Tried Versamail...does not send either....same exact error.

I would like to hear from anyone using Snapper or Versa to send email who is NOT using the sprint smtp servers.

Someone at Sprint flipped a switched and killed sending smtp mail.

Big problem.
    It took me about 10 tries yesterday, but I sent one using sprint's smtp settings...looks like there is a problem. I used the Palm Mail function that comes w/ the Treo 600. Try doing what I did...hit send & receive a bunch of times
    just tested. versamail using my own company's mail server works just fine.

-mike
    Quote Originally Posted by mwilson

-mike
    Same here.
    Maybe it's a regional network issue?

-mike
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by mwilson

-mike

Are you doing SSL, or plain old POP?
    I was able to retrieve and send using the Treo 650 mail application for several weeks. For some reason I was soon unable to send from the Treo, but was able to receive.

I contacted my service provider's technical support (One World Hosting) and she suggested I delete the accounts and rebuild them. I didn't think it would work, but sure enough it fixed the problem.
    I started having this problem about 4 days ago and I finally got it to work. I used a separate incoming and outgoing server since I'm checking a non sprintpcs email. Edit your acount, make sure smtp.sprintpcs.com is your server (it should be of you wouldn't have this problem), click next a few times and at the end click on advanced and make sure (or redo) the settings for outgoing server authentication. Re-enter your username/pw, the sprintpcs one of course, and click done. That got my account working again.
  20.    #20  
    Just an FYI...this is still a problems...almost a month and half, still not fixed.

Sprint has completed botch their data network config...it's light they have high schoolers configing the routers.

Idiots.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast