Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 813141516171819 LastLast
    Better late than never...

In certain apps, like Pics and Videos, hitting the space bar, or alt+left/right you can select the whole window.

Additionally, this is cool in Pics and Videos because you can then do "menu D" and bring up a multi-select menu for deleting multiple files. The same thing works with other options like "Send". Although certain programs, like Chatteremail, don't support the multiple send dialog... so it might take none, or just the first file in the list.
    PalmIII -> PalmV -> Sprint Treo650 -> Treo755P -> Pre

"Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full of tapes hurtling down the highway."

--Andrew Tanenbaum
    Quote Originally Posted by weiqi View Post
    I just found this site so am *very* new here. After using a 650 for many months I "discovered" by accident something that maybe everybody else has always known about. In almost any app, if you press the "off" button (red phone), and then later press it again, you return to the exact state you left. This is particularly useful if you are in the middle of something that takes many steps or a web page that takes a while to receive. If this kind of thing is documented somewhere, i'd love learn other general things like that.
    All you are doing though is going dark, palm doesn't technically shut down unless you remove it's power supply. no big deal - it's not as if you were going into system standby flushing your caches. saving your current state to RAM or a hardrive for retrieval. The Treo isn't actually coming back up and returning you to the state you left it in. You never left it. Not really an overlooked treo gem. it's just a standard PDA feature even on Windows Mobile devices

This is in essence an even bigger discovery for you because now you know that no matter what you are doing. Unless something else happens - it is tere for you.

I just discovered after using for MANY MANY MANY er um..... how to close the pop up recently called list. For not knowing that this long... I am truly embarrasssed.

But now i need to move my ROM partition - wacky huh... I know this - but not the basics.
    Last edited by Scrufboy; 02/22/2007 at 10:39 AM.
    Since there are 343 replies to this thread, forgive me if I am mentioning something that has already been mentioned. I haven't read the entire thread since there were only 140 or so responses!

Amazed me that I discovered something new and neat after 2 1/2 years of ownership:

shift + spacebar = tab.

That is, hitting single spacebar yields one single " " character. Hitting shift-spacebar yields like 10 spaces, as if you hit the tab key on a typewriter or keyboard. Comes up rarely, but neat to be able to tab if I choose.

-- Josh
    Quote Originally Posted by steinbej View Post
    Since there are 343 replies to this thread, forgive me if I am mentioning something that has already been mentioned. I haven't read the entire thread since there were only 140 or so responses!

Amazed me that I discovered something new and neat after 2 1/2 years of ownership:

shift + spacebar = tab.

That is, hitting single spacebar yields one single " " character. Hitting shift-spacebar yields like 10 spaces, as if you hit the tab key on a typewriter or keyboard. Comes up rarely, but neat to be able to tab if I choose.

-- Josh
    No it was not reported before, great find
    Quote Originally Posted by mikepikefl View Post
    Better late than never...

In certain apps, like Pics and Videos, hitting the space bar, or alt+left/right you can select the whole window.

Additionally, this is cool in Pics and Videos because you can then do "menu D" and bring up a multi-select menu for deleting multiple files. The same thing works with other options like "Send". Although certain programs, like Chatteremail, don't support the multiple send dialog... so it might take none, or just the first file in the list.
    This is a real time saver, Thanks!

It works in the Cento too.
    Last edited by GeekyMom; 11/18/2007 at 08:10 AM.
    "Everyday is a Gift, A Blessing, An Opportunity!" - GM

Phone history: Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo Centro, Pixi, Centro again, 800w, Treo 755p, Palm Pre
    I saw that someone mentioned the option + phone power button trick to skip the keyguard, but didn't see any mention of the thumb trick that I use all the time...

If you have a decent sized thumb like me, smash the rightmost side of the keypad with it, making sure you hit these 9 keys at the same time (other combos may work too).
    Code:
    I O P
    K L Backspace
    M . Enter
    Your treo should turn on and bypass the keyguard. Not sure if this is intentional or an accident, but it works every time for me and is faster then any other method.
    Global Posts
    292 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tahkuct View Post
    Here is another one.

Do you have contacts that you need to have both work and home address or even multiple addresses?
    You can add additional address field (or any field by tapping a (+) plus sign on a bottom of contact edit.
    This works for adding additional phone numbers, email, IM and custom fields too.
    Quote Originally Posted by krushia View Post
    Code:
    I O P
    K L Backspace
    M . Enter
    This is really amazing.
    Game over!
    Quote Originally Posted by krushia View Post
    If you have a decent sized thumb like me, smash the rightmost side of the keypad with it, making sure you hit these 9 keys at the same time (other combos may work too).
    Code:
    I O P
    K L Backspace
    M . Enter
    Your treo should turn on and bypass the keyguard. Not sure if this is intentional or an accident, but it works every time for me and is faster then any other method.
    This would be great but I can't get it to work on the Centro. What Treo you using?
    Code:
    I O P
    K L Backspace
    M . Enter
    Your treo should turn on and bypass the keyguard. Not sure if this is intentional or an accident, but it works every time for me and is faster then any other method.[/QUOTE]

My Treo 650 doesn't do this. Any subtleties I'm missing?
    -- Josh
    Quote Originally Posted by scheumanrj View Post
    This would be great but I can't get it to work on the Centro. What Treo you using?
    My Treo 650 doesn't do this. Any subtleties I'm missing?
    Mine is a Cingular Treo 650, 1.17 firmware. You may have to practice a bit to get used to this manuver, and as I said you need a nice big thumb to hit all the keys. It is indeed the same thing as option-phone.
    Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chucka View Post
    I don't know if anyone has started a thread like this (didnt find one). i remember seeing a thread about this a long time ago about the 600.

What have you found in your hours of playing with the 650 that you thought was really cool, but some people may over look or never even find.

i was messing with the ringtones and realized you can record your own voice (or someone elses) and make it your ringtone.
    um yeah crash and outdated OS?
    Quote Originally Posted by srika View Post
    the side-button below the volume buttons can be used to cancel out of the Palm drop-down menus...

also for the screen dimmer... try option-P.
    Sweet. I've been using my 650 for almost a year and did not know that.
    Quote Originally Posted by cglaguna View Post
    One of my favorites actually worked on the 600 and I never knew it until the roadshow. That is when you are in phone favorites if you hit the space bar, when one is highlighted, it will give you a list of other contact numbers for that same person, if you linked them via contacts.
    That is the bomb. thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by ekerbuddy View Post
    in Camera, pressing the 'eye' icon switches to infra-red mode which helps in low light conditions.
    I do not see an "eye" icon but did find a "Sepia" setting under the menu which seems to be the same thing.
    Hi folks,

Couldn't resist chiming in with this little feature. My 650 is on its last legs. Yet another thing broke yesterday, although it's not a fatal kinda thing. I'm heading towards a 680 or Centro for sure. So I checked out a Centro the other day. Didn't like it so much, but that's not the point. Among my responses was, "hmmm, color is slightly different," which of course was the color theme.
    So for fun I changed the color theme on my Treo 650 from the standard dark bluish one (if that's what it is) to the light bright green called "Treo". It's remarkable how it makes the device feel brand new. Nearly every screen looks different, and the emotional trick is powerful. It's like having a new Treo. Wow! (same trick works when I dust my car, by the way. Dust off the dashboard, Windex the windshield interior so that it's crystal clear, and my '99 Camry feels like a new car to me -- that's one hell of a cheap way to get a new car!)

-- Josh
    Aha! (I just came in from the Paleolithic, first Treo, first Palm OS 5).
    Aha! thanks y'all. So the "Option" key is the lower left corner, big black spot key. Now things begin to make sense, thanks for the brightness slider and the brightness toggles.

What's this about the Treo never turning off? Can't I turn it off without pulling the battery? How do I turn off the GPS position thingy?
    Hey, I don't do a lot of texting, so I didn't realize this until now.

While texting, the Treo will replace my typing with the logical formatting without making me enter them myself!

I type i, it types I
    I type dont, it types don't
    I type theyre, it types they're
    etc.

What a nice simple well executed little time saver!
    -- Josh
    Hey, I don't do a lot of texting, so I didn't realize this until now.

While texting, the Treo will replace my typing with the logical formatting without making me enter them myself!

I type i, it types I
    I type dont, it types don't
    I type theyre, it types they're
    etc.

What a nice simple well executed little time saver!
    -- Josh
    I knew about the first-letter capitalization in first words and "I" but I didn't know about the contraction help. That IS neat. I just tried it on my 755p.

Funny how I keep discovering useful things about this phone (or others discover them for me) after so much time.
    * Stuck patches? Partial erase worked for me.
    * Stuck virtual keyboard? Partial erase AND folder deletion worked for me.
    Attention:

Thread Resurrection Alert.

Thanks steinbej
    Just call me Berd.