Page 14 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4910111213141516171819 LastLast
Results 261 to 280 of 364
  1. #261  
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiffany
    It does the same when using applications like MS IE on your computer
    Do people still use MS IE?

    Just kidding,
    well kinda
  2. #262  
    wow...just spent 2 hours reading this thread. Thanks for tips everyone. I think I have a new home.... Phuk myspace!

    Merry Xmas
  3. #263  
    Is the opt button, the one next to the Z, If so, I have not figured out how to get that to work. It still requires that I press the center button to unlock
    It's the big oval one that you press against your ear, next to the flashing LED. Just press it really hard and it will make your Treo transform into a car.
    HP Pre 3 (UK)
  4. jorang's Avatar
    Posts
    318 Posts
    Global Posts
    377 Global Posts
    #264  
    Quote Originally Posted by checkmate
    It's the big oval one that you press against your ear, next to the flashing LED. Just press it really hard and it will make your Treo transform into a car.
    I expect members come here to get answers - not to get confused...
    JoranG
    Treo650 Unlocked GSM (Cust ROM 1.71/1.20 ENA w/ FAT32.prc) - TomTom Navigator v5 (Western Europe Maps)
  5. #265  
    Quote Originally Posted by jorang
    I expect members come here to get answers - not to get confused...
    We can take it for granted that people who play with their Treo all day are socially challenged and we need some entertainment too.
  6. #266  
    Palm2 - press and hold te OPT button (yes, the one next to to the z) and at the same time press the on/off switch (the button with red markings). It doesn't work with other buttons, like the green phone button.
  7. #267  
    [Checkmate runs off into the distance giggling like a schoolgirl]
    HP Pre 3 (UK)
  8. #268  
    Quote Originally Posted by darwinbrewer
    OPT + Power Button automatically unlocks the treo too.
    Neat trick. But is there any way to disable it? Kind of makes the ability to lock your T650 useless. Doesn't it?
    Brent
    T650 on Sprint's Wireless Wonder
  9. #269  
    Quote Originally Posted by bheuss
    Neat trick. But is there any way to disable it? Kind of makes the ability to lock your T650 useless. Doesn't it?
    I don't think the keyguard is designed to lock the Treo, but merely disable the keys when it's in a pocket or purse.
    Rob
    8GB iPhone
  10. #270  
    Quote Originally Posted by dimensiondvdrob
    I don't think the keyguard is designed to lock the Treo, but merely disable the keys when it's in a pocket or purse.
    Ooops. Big apologies all around. I was confusing "key guard" with "lock and turn off".

    So, I'll add my tip/trick: OPT+Power will, alternatively, turn on keyguard immediately (even if you have the preference set to the 5 or 30-second delay).
    Brent
    T650 on Sprint's Wireless Wonder
  11. #271  
    Quote Originally Posted by checkmate
    [Checkmate runs off into the distance giggling like a schoolgirl]
    Somebody get this kid out of the rum laced egg nog or there won't be any left for Xmas.
  12. #272  
    I've seen a couple of messages recommending the use of Option+up arrow (next to the Alt key) to change the screen brightness, but I prefer the use of BrightCam. It detects illumination throught the camera lens and adjusts the brightness automatically. I have it set up to adjust brightness when I switch programs.

    http://treoware.com/brightcam.html

    Piri
  13. #273  
    Brightcam sucks, how does ANYONE use it.. It slows the Treo down really bad (real slowdown, not oh-god-palminternals-says-so and it's really actually useless in most cases. Example. I lay my Treo down on my desk at work, voila, I can't read the freaking screen because it's too dark (camera is obscured). Fine, raise the minimum backlight. Too bright at night.
  14. #274  
    I disagree with khaytsus. The fact that Palminternals doesn't reveal any slowing of the Palm processes contradicts his statement: "It slows the Treo down really bad". It must be a subjective observation he had, but the facts (Palminternals Speed Test) speak otherwise. When set to adjust brightness while applications switch, BrightCam doesn't have a significant impact on the Palm's speed. In fact I don't find any slowing either by measuring through Palm Internals or ortherwise.

    Now regarding it's illumination... well, it uses the camera to measure light so if your lens is pointing toward something dark (your desktop) it'll think the environment is darker. If you're aiming the lens at your computer screen it'll think the environment is brighter. In general my Palm's camera lens is aiming the floor when I turn it on so the adjustment works perfectly every time. Because I don't have it set to adjust brightness every few seconds I don't have the problem khaytsus complaints of when he(she?) places the Palm on the desktop.

    I spent my time playing around with BrightCam and I find that it's the best way to adjust brightness automatically. Here's what I did... I went outside and measured brightness while pointing the camera to the sky then went to a dark closet a measured it again to define the high and low values for brightness. On the 'Main' tab Sensitivity is set to 'Huge'. Calibration is set to just one pixel to the left of the 6th marker (from left to right). Under the 'Light' tab 'Continuous' is set to 'App. switching'. Indicator, Quickset and Backlight have a check mark. The Dimming checkboxes are unmarked. In the 'Sound' tab 'Noisy surroundings boost' is checked, but I'm not sure if it's a good idea in combination with VolumeCare. The remaining boxes in the sound tab have black text on white background (I'm not interested in those features).

    Now when I'm in a dark room and I turn the Palm on the screen dims and the keyboard lights up slightly. When outside, the screen brightens up and the keyboard light shutsdown. As far as I'm concerned this is much better than having to adjust manually. I hope someone else likes it as much as I do.

    Piri
  15. #275  
    I have hardware A, no Brightcam and my brightness set to about 25%. From bright outdoors to fairly dark rooms I have no need to adjust brightness. At night if I turn it on for some reason it is a little too bright but if I am going to glance at it for more than a couple of seconds I usually get up and turn the light on. Once in awhile for certain pictures or videos I will turn the brightness up to show better detail but that is not very often either.

    It is reported that hardware B has a more yellowish screen. I wonder if people with hardware B are finding more use for Brightcam. It would be interesting to know because if I ever have to or want to replace my Treo (maybe with a new, slimmer, antennaless 700P if we are all lucky) I wonder what screen the new one will have.
  16. #276  
    Isn't Brightcam typically used to "auto set" the brightness every N seconds? Thus the two problems... Slowing down of the system (because it's recalibrating all the time) and the screwy brightness.

    Recalibrating manually when you like? geez.. Use Profiles and you don't have to fool with any of it.
  17. #277  
    It calibrates automatically as soon as you turn the Palm on and whenever you switch to a different application. I don't see a need for continuous automatic calibration (every few seconds). You turn your Palm on in a movie theater and brightness will lower, when you're outside the theater the brightness will automatically increase as soon as you turn the unit on(or switch application). If you set it to adjust every few seconds the brightness will go up and down like a rollercoaster depending on what colors the camera is looking at.

    Piri
  18. #278  
    Quote Originally Posted by piridongo
    I've seen a couple of messages recommending the use of Option+up arrow (next to the Alt key) to change the screen brightness, but I prefer the use of BrightCam. It detects illumination throught the camera lens and adjusts the brightness automatically. I have it set up to adjust brightness when I switch programs.

    http://treoware.com/brightcam.html

    Piri
    Thanks for the link Piridongo.

    One of my main complaints is the low light situation with the Treo 650 because of the lack of a flash on many inside shots and the grainy pics that results. I'm gonna give this app a shot! I just took a pic in low light and it looks a lot better than it would have before Brightcam.

    I wished I could have tried it on Christmas. (see attached)
    http://home.comcast.net/~amsims/Christmas_Dinner.jpg

    Here is a shot I just took with only natural light using Brightcam:
    http://home.comcast.net/~amsims/No_light.jpg
    Last edited by GeekyMom; 12/27/2005 at 10:19 AM.
    "Everyday is a Gift, A Blessing, An Opportunity!" - GM

    Phone history: Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo Centro, Pixi, Centro again, 800w, Treo 755p, Palm Pre
  19. #279  
    Quote Originally Posted by GeekyMom
    Thanks for the link Piridongo.

    One of my main complaints is the low light situation with the Treo 650 because of the lack of a flash on many inside shots and the grainy pics that results. I'm gonna give this app a shot! I just took a pic in low light and it looks a lot better than it would have before Brightcam.

    I wished I could have tried it on Christmas. (see attached)
    http://home.comcast.net/~amsims/Christmas_Dinner.jpg

    Here is a shot I just took with only natural light using Brightcam:
    http://home.comcast.net/~amsims/No_light.jpg
    GM,

    Brightcam has no effect on the cameras ability to take pictures, it only affects the brightness of the Treo's screen (rather than setting the brightness manually)
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

    "95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
  20. #280  
    Quote Originally Posted by piridongo
    It calibrates automatically as soon as you turn the Palm on and whenever you switch to a different application. I don't see a need for continuous automatic calibration (every few seconds). You turn your Palm on in a movie theater and brightness will lower, when you're outside the theater the brightness will automatically increase as soon as you turn the unit on(or switch application). If you set it to adjust every few seconds the brightness will go up and down like a rollercoaster depending on what colors the camera is looking at.

    Piri
    I've been a long time user of Brightcam and I agree mainly with Piri. You will however see slowdowns with apps switching and turning on the screen if you have it set to adjust while switching apps or every X seconds. Also, on the sound tab if you have the darkness boost/!BCx! flags set or the noisy surroundings boost set these will slow down apps switching as well from my previous experience.

    The backlight (keyboard) auto-adjust is also a nice feature since it turns off the keyboard backlight in brighter conditions and will leave it on in darker conditions.

    My calibration is set one or two ticks to the right of center and Sensitivity set to "Very Huge" to ensure the keyboard backlight comes on when conditions are getting darker. With the Treo sitting on my desk with a desk lamp, it's easily bright enough to read. In the dark, it is dimmer than that and still read-able, great for browsing while walking the dog
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

    "95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."

Posting Permissions