Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I really suspect this green line is *software* and not hardware, I can't imagine sending the thing back for something like this. Maybe I'd add it to the list if there were other things wrong, but geez.

I bet in 100% of the cases, a reset would fix the problem. I suspect it's an interrupt issue, a program stealing time from the CPU to to something, etc. Nothing replacing the Palm would fix, perhaps make it go away until the original configuration was restored and the original circumstance that caused it to happen in the first place happened again.

I see the line in about a fourth of my pictures. It's just a distraction in an otherwise awful looking picture.
    I agree that it is probably software. I've had it on two Treos, intermittent on both, yes fixed by resets (these happen often enough) and the camera is so lousy that I almost never use it.

We had a bit of a discussion on this issue a little while ago (http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...en+line+camera).

The current posting on removing the camera has potential - especially if it could be replaced with a better one!
    I just got the green line for the 1st time. I did a soft reset and it cleared it up. Thank goodness I checked this thread I was dreading having to return the phone over this.

Thanks
    I just started experiencing the "green line" in my camera also. It's very intermittent and goes away when I re-take the picture or after a soft reset. It doesn't happen often but it's scary when it does....
    Verizon Pre 2, HP TouchPad

Catch me on Twitter

Google+ Me
    Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    Is it me or are all these green lines in exactly the same place, ~114 pixels from the top? The links below and the attached are from four different phones:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...6&postcount=17
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...9&postcount=11
    http://www.pbase.com/agitprop/image/41182756
    http://www.pbase.com/agitprop/image/41182752

ERic
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Global Posts
    577 Global Posts
    I've heard speculation that this "green line" issue may have something to do with lighting conditions at the time the picture is taken.

A few months ago I was experiencing this problem intermittently, and then it got worse--which led me to believe it was a hardware problem. I contacted Palm tech support, I was informed that this was a known problem with the T650. Palm then directed me to Cingular's Express Equipment Exchange. I contact Cingular and explained to them the problem, they then send me a replacement Treo the next day.

I would think if this was a software issue more people would be experiencing this problem.
    I haven't seen the green line in my pictures in a while, but I used to see it often.. Go figure. As I said months ago, it definately *is not* a hardware problem.
    I had a vertical purple line in the picture app, and a green one in TCPMP. Hard reset, soft reset, prayed to various gods... no dice.

I went in to a sprint store and the tech swapped out a new screen for me within 20 minutes.

That was 2 days ago. Today I went in because my cell phone calls had a lot of wierd noise in the background, always. Swapped out a new phone.

If you see lines replace the unit. Try not to get a "refurbished" unit, who knows what else they might of messed up in there or what other problems went unnoticed.
    Quote Originally Posted by dawzilla
    If you see lines replace the unit.
    With all due respect, says who?! I think replacing the thing should be a last resort, no the first option. If the issue is, in fact, software-related, then what is getting a new unit going to solve? And if you don't know that it's not software-related, why jump to the conclusion that the unit should be replaced?

-Kirk
    Quote Originally Posted by KMeloney
    With all due respect, says who?! I think replacing the thing should be a last resort, no the first option. If the issue is, in fact, software-related, then what is getting a new unit going to solve? And if you don't know that it's not software-related, why jump to the conclusion that the unit should be replaced?

-Kirk
    What I was trying to communicate was that after my initial attempts to fix this problem myself (the resets, firmware check, duplicating the problem in different apps...) failed, I went to a Sprint service center who diagnosed my screen as faulty. They replaced the screen only, but then my voice calls went wacky

I'm assuming two things. 1) The unit had more than one problem. 2) The tech might of accidently loosened a connection or whatever to cause my phone to become crackly.

Hell I've seen improperly shielded stuff inside electronics that cause all sorts of goofy outcomes. Things become loose, accidents happen.

When I came in a 2nd time to try to get the sound problem resolved, before they even knew I was in earlier to replace the screen they agreed to exchange it with a new one (out of a box, not a refurb) without even looking at the phone or asking the tech. This leads me to believe that they've heard this story many a times before.

I'll add another assumption: The sound problem is very common on Sprint phones. When I purchased the 650 there was about 3 other people at the Sprint Service store I was in that had the same problem. Some had the old firmware, some had the brand new ones.

I've had this phone for 7 days. I've spent a total of 5 hours in store with sprint (another 30 mins with tech support on the phone), buying the phone, replacing the phone, and waiting on the phone. After that, my solution is to swap the damn phone and head home.

The only tools available to me to resolve a software related issue is a hardware reset and a firmware update if available. After both were done and the problem was still the same, I concluded that particular 650 hated me so I decided to swap it out for another one. Maybe I'll be nice and put a fancy Vaja case on the new phone to scare the bad resets away.

Obviously my treo 650 demands a lot out of me. 10 mins on this post and 6 hours in sprint stores.
    Global Posts
    577 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by khaytsus
    As I said months ago, it definately *is not* a hardware problem.
    I'm curious how you came to this conclusion. Software, very often, does not produce "intermittent" problems. Problems found in software (bugs) are usually reproducible by following a series of steps or actions. I could not reproduce the "green line" problem at will.

For example: I would take a picture; the green line would show up. I would take the picture again (the EXACT same picture); no green line.

I'm pretty certain that this issue relates to a hardware defect in the camera mechanism--Palm tech support seemed to agree.

Just my 2 cents
    Okay, how about this? As the camera is sending data, and some program on the Treo is doing something wonky, maybe the data from the camera gets corrupted.

I'm *much* more likely to believe that a software/event issue is causing it than hardware, if it was hardware it's more likely it'd happen *every* time.

Also another thing that makes me think it.. I haven't seen the green line since stabalizing my Treo.. I *never* get resets anymore, and very rarely get a "slow" Treo, and I never see green lines any longer.
    Hello everyone, I'm new to the community and this is my first post.

I just wanted to add that I bought my Treo 650 yesterday and took lots of pictures with no problems. This morning, I started getting the green horizontal line about a quarter way down the image just like most of you. Lighting conditions did not seem to matter. A soft reset seems to have gotten rid of the line for now.

I was wondering if there was a consensus though of whether this is a hardware defect and if I should take my unit back for a replacement? I plan to use the camera a lot.

One other thing I noticed. When taking pics in low light I see some slight 'banding' in the picture but one thing that caught my attention was a slightly lighter horizontal line across the image in roughly the same place as the green line. You have to look really close to see it but it's definitely there in almost all my pictures (low light). I can't help but think this is related. Anyone else experience this?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12