1.    #1  
    So I'm in the sprint store yesterday, drooling over the 650. I presently am a rim user through t-mobile.

I should wait for the gsm version, that I know will be quad band, and compatible when I travel a few months out of the year to europe, but I'm getting impatient.

The salesman swore to me that despite it being CDMA, the sprint 650 could be used in europe. Now, of course I didn't buy, to wait to get that info verified, but he was adamant. He said just call cust. service before you fly, and they will activate the functionality.

What a joke, right? or wrong?
    that person was on crack
    Lots of crack.

You can't use your Sprint phone (no matter which one) outside North America. I travel to Europe and Asia and it simply becomes a PDA once the boarding door closes on the airplane. My solution, since Sprint wants the monetary equivilent of your firstborn to rent a phone from them is this:

For Europe, we bought a pre-pay phone on the O2 network. It can be topped up on the web or in stores in England (not sure about other countries). It can be used worldwide on the GSM network.

For South Korea (which has CDMA but on a different frequency band than US CDMA), we rent phones in the airport for the equivilent of $3.00 or so per day, plus call charges. The call charges are somewhat pricey (as with the pre-paid O2 phone), but it's a lot cheaper than the alternatives.

- Joe
    Highly Mobile iPhone User

Palm Pilot -> Palm Pilot Pro -> HP 620LX -> Palm VII -> Palm VIIx -> Ipaq 3270 -> Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700p - iPhone - iPhone 3G
    THat salesman only has half is story. You can use Sprint service overseas, but you need to obtain a SIM card from them and also have your own or rent a GSM phone (unlocked). I do it all the time, that way I have my own number when I travel and all calls are directed to my GSM phone, certainly though not my CDMA phone. You do not have to buy or rent the phone from Sprint. Any unlocked GSM phone will work. I bought one (Samsung) for $150.00 on eBay and it works great.
    My problem with that approach was that my colleague in the UK would have to dial the US to reach me, even if we were in the same town.

Palm Pilot -> Palm Pilot Pro -> HP 620LX -> Palm VII -> Palm VIIx -> Ipaq 3270 -> Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700p - iPhone - iPhone 3G
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeTampa
    Lots of crack.

You can't use your Sprint phone (no matter which one) outside North America. I travel to Europe and Asia and it simply becomes a PDA once the boarding door closes on the airplane.
    - Joe
    Ok Joe, put the crack pipe down....the CDMA Sprint 600 DOES work outside of North America, but only in limited areas. (as well as the 300 and so should the 650 and probably ohters too)
    Such as?

Shanghai,China
    I want to say China UniCom is the carrier that it relays through, also it's on the 850MHZ band and not the 1.9GHZ that I think Sprint normaly uses. The Treo is Daul Band (850MHz and 1.9GHz), just 100% digital
    Last edited by Burkhardi; 12/18/2004 at 02:49 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigsmoke
    So I'm in the sprint store yesterday, drooling over the 650. I presently am a rim user through t-mobile.

I should wait for the gsm version, that I know will be quad band, and compatible when I travel a few months out of the year to europe, but I'm getting impatient.

The salesman swore to me that despite it being CDMA, the sprint 650 could be used in europe. Now, of course I didn't buy, to wait to get that info verified, but he was adamant. He said just call cust. service before you fly, and they will activate the functionality.

What a joke, right? or wrong?
    Just hold out, if you are international traverler you are going to be stimied by Sprint. Don't let anyone fool you. Check the "International Links" above. Europe is all GSM. They all are GSM, except maybe South Korea and Japan (ok China I don't know). Sprint will give you a Sprint GSM Sim to use there, but you can't use SMS or your Treo, so what's the point. The GSM phone will be out in less than three weeks.
    Quote Originally Posted by cglaguna
    Just hold out, if you are international traverler you are going to be stimied by Sprint. Don't let anyone fool you. Check the "International Links" above. Europe is all GSM. They all are GSM, except maybe South Korea and Japan (ok China I don't know). Sprint will give you a Sprint GSM Sim to use there, but you can't use SMS or your Treo, so what's the point. The GSM phone will be out in less than three weeks.
    So you're saying that the only difference between using a GSM Treo overseas and a Sprint phone that's been temporarily dumped onto a SIM card is SMS? That's a pretty big point to me. I'm currently a Sprint customer, but I've been holding out for the GSM 650 solely for overseas roaming purposes. If I can do the above on Sprint and only lose SMS functionality, I might just go get a 650 today.

What if the phone I drop the Sprint SIM into is a smart phone or can handle SMS? Would I then get that functionality? What does Sprint charge for this SIM card service?
    Looks like Japan uses a WCDMA phone (whatever that is), but Sprint says that you need a SIM for that as well... So no Treo, I guess. However, it does appear that in the larger cities in China, the Treo will indeed work.

Quote Originally Posted by swingline
    So you're saying that the only difference between using a GSM Treo overseas and a Sprint phone that's been temporarily dumped onto a SIM card is SMS? That's a pretty big point to me. I'm currently a Sprint customer, but I've been holding out for the GSM 650 solely for overseas roaming purposes. If I can do the above on Sprint and only lose SMS functionality, I might just go get a 650 today.

What if the phone I drop the Sprint SIM into is a smart phone or can handle SMS? Would I then get that functionality? What does Sprint charge for this SIM card service?

No.. You'll get & make calls - that's it. The Treo stays home - you get a GSM phone (cheapo, I'm sure) to use overseas.

Sprint and Verizon need to come out with dual phones for world travelers. CDMA for home, GSM for global or US roaming.
    Sprint Pre, Mugen 2800mah battery
    I think verizon already has.
    Global Posts
    191 Global Posts
    I used Treo 600 in Israel on Pelephon CDMA netowrk
    Quote Originally Posted by xenophonite
    Sprint and Verizon need to come out with dual phones for world travelers. CDMA for home, GSM for global or US roaming.
    Aready exists:

http://www.phonescoop.com/phones/phone.php?p=406

My dream would be if PalmOne released a dual mode CDMA(1xEvDv) + Quadband GSM/Edge/UMTS Treo... That would be cool...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Quote Originally Posted by leonidm
    I used Treo 600 in Israel on Pelephon CDMA netowrk
    Hey Leonid,
    Did you have to set that up with Pelephon, or were you just roaming? How does that compare with renting a GSM phone to use on cellcom (which is what I typically do when in Israel)?

I think I'm still holding out for the gsm 650....
    Mark
    Quote Originally Posted by Burkhardi
    Shanghai,China
    I want to say China UniCom is the carrier that it relays through, also it's on the 850MHZ band and not the 1.9GHZ that I think Sprint normaly uses. The Treo is Daul Band (850MHz and 1.9GHz), just 100% digital
    Close, but no cigar (cue kirkeric?). Treos on Sprint operate on 1.9GHz and 800 MHz.
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterFuhrman
    Close, but no cigar (cue kirkeric?). Treos on Sprint operate on 1.9GHz and 800 MHz.
    LOL, I had 800 Mhz on there and it didn't look right, go with your first choice they say Thanks for the correction.