Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 41 to 50 of 50
  1. #41  
    Gee, got up on the wrong side of the bed huh? If P1 steams you so much I think it would be good for your health to spend less time here.

    FYI, I am a huge Apple fan and have been for a long time. But I don't think there is a prayer in hell that they would make a dent in the phone market. Three main reasons are 1) the suits won't buy them, 2) most U.S. phone buyers want free and medicore, 3) Carriers. Apple is about quality, most phone buyers in the U.S. don't seem to care about this. The phone carriers dicate terms to the phone suppliers. I really can't see Apple working well here. Apple likes to control everything about their product. I can just see a carrier ordering them to remove a feature so the carrier can sell a ringtone for more money (for example). Boy, those fireworks would be huge.

    Quote Originally Posted by suskind
    Only gray suits think of smartphones in term of 'productivity gain' That is PRECISELY the reason these people miss the $499 mp3 gadget that Apple snatch. Apple sells more iPod than Palm sells their treo600.

    I wouldn't be surprised if Apple kill the market again with their next smartphone only on the base of selling 'cute device with fun gimmick', productivity be damned.

    Productivity is for loser with little imagination.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
  2. #42  
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Hair
    Here's how this equates to pa1mOne: Just like the PDA business, all of the music industry is in fact very small, it's just readily visible. pa1mOne's biggest competition in the Palm market is a rag tag bunch of no name companies that have yet to pull themselves together (read: Yamaha). It's only a matter of time.
    lol, the Yamaha of PDA industry already happens and own the market. It's called HTC. Their first big break was iPAQ 3600. Now they are the bigges PDA manufacturer in the planet . Even Palmone finally gives up and let them manufacture treo650.

    You think they are sitting idle? Have you seen public reaction to iJam? Can you imagine iJam with VGA screen and WiFi? hmm...
  3. #43  
    Quote Originally Posted by bcaslis
    Gee, got up on the wrong side of the bed huh? If P1 steams you so much I think it would be good for your health to spend less time here.

    FYI, I am a huge Apple fan and have been for a long time. But I don't think there is a prayer in hell that they would make a dent in the phone market. Three main reasons are 1) the suits won't buy them,
    corporate spending will go down drastically in the next several years. Economy sucks. The massive corporate profit we see now is the last vestige of overpumped economy. It already hits the consumer hard and sooner or later this will translate to corporate bottom line and equipment spending. No sane corporation is going to spend ovekilled gizmo like treo650 if all they need is cheapie blackberry.

    enter Apple and the strange phenomenon of expensive consumer item flying off the shelves during downturn as long as it has different attitude and rebellious.

    2) most U.S. phone buyers want free and medicore, 3) Carriers. Apple is about quality, most phone buyers in the U.S. don't seem to care about this. The phone carriers dicate terms to the phone suppliers. I really can't see Apple working well here. Apple likes to control everything about their product. I can just see a carrier ordering them to remove a feature so the carrier can sell a ringtone for more money (for example). Boy, those fireworks would be huge.
  4. #44  
    Speaking strictly from a consumers point of view, which is a consideration that hopefully is taken into account when making decisions at P1, the 600 did rock the PDA and Cell Phone worlds! But it really does appear that the 650 is more updating select features of the 600 than continuing the revolutionary legacy that the 600 alone was able to establish in the market place. The 650 in fact fell far short in many aspects of the normal features of some of the competitions options.

    It would be interesting to see any stats on how many Treo users have progressed up to the next version of treo all the way up to the 600 and then compare how many of the 600 users upgraded to the 650 or not and how many upgraded but opted for a competitive device.

    Perception is reality when talking about customers. I have read in this forurm and several others that they consider the 650 a suped up 600 rather than a new phone option. With many stating they view the 650 as what the 600 should have been in the first place. (again this is only addressing a portion of the customer's perception not reality). I think a lot of this comes down part truth and part to what was stated above concerning lack of advertising and educating the public of its own products and features.

    As for myself, I was one that opted for another phone, the PPC-6601 mainly due the fact that the other was able to do what I needed for the basic responsibilities of my job. I am really anxiously waiting to see....and holding judgement on P1 until....the Treo 7xx comes out.

    As far as I am concerned, the 650 was Palms first chance to work on the treo line and was handed the product part way through the development. Now the Treo 7xx will be the first real test to see what they do with it when they have their hands in every step of the development process.
  5. #45  
    >"No sane corporation is going to spend ovekilled gizmo like treo650 if all they need is cheapie blackberry."

    hello, ska.
  6. #46  
    Quote Originally Posted by suskind
    Only gray suits think of smartphones in term of 'productivity gain' That is PRECISELY the reason these people miss the $499 mp3 gadget that Apple snatch. Apple sells more iPod than Palm sells their treo600.

    I wouldn't be surprised if Apple kill the market again with their next smartphone only on the base of selling 'cute device with fun gimmick', productivity be damned.

    Productivity is for loser with little imagination.
    Yea, I know it takes a great deal of imigination to download a music file and carry in it your hip pocket these days. Now you make sure you pop those head phones back on real soon kid, and get yourself all cute and gimmicky. Maybe then, you'll get yourself noticed.
    Last edited by JTREOB; 12/20/2004 at 12:25 AM.
  7. #47  
    [QUOTE=suskind]corporate spending will go down drastically in the next several years. Economy sucks. The massive corporate profit we see now is the last vestige of overpumped economy. It already hits the consumer hard and sooner or later this will translate to corporate bottom line and equipment spending.

    Head shake with a smile!!!! Poor guy.
    Last edited by JTREOB; 12/20/2004 at 12:52 AM.
  8. #48  
    Quote Originally Posted by JTREOB
    Yea, I know it takes a great deal of imigination to download a music file and carry in it your hip pocket these days. Now you make sure you pop those head phones back on real soon kid, and get yourself all cute and gimmicky. Maybe then, you'll get yourself noticed.
    no, but it takes a great deal of imagination pushing a single purpose $499 gadget plus music.
  9. #49  
    Quote Originally Posted by suskind
    no, but it takes a great deal of imagination pushing a single purpose $499 gadget plus music.
    I know a couple guys who will sell me their 6 month old Ipods for half the retail rate. The real imagination is in the justification for buying one at $499. Ipods are last years gadget.
  10. #50  
    Quote Originally Posted by JTREOB
    I know a couple guys who will sell me their 6 month old Ipods for half the retail rate. The real imagination is in the justification for buying one at $499. Ipods are last years gadget.
    as suppose to treo 650 piling up inventory?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Posting Permissions