1.    #1  
    Anyone experiencing this too? It takes about 2 seconds before I can get a call to connect from my phone book. Also, the screen flickers once in a while.
    Yes this has been documented and discussed here extensively in many lengthy threads. Please do a search. It basically is a result of the new type of memory architecture the 650 uses called NVFS that utilizes nand. The problem is that it apparently has much slower write speed than normal volitile ram which is causing the delays even though the 650 has a much faster proc than the 600. It's believed PalmOne will soon release an update to hopefully fix this...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    i thought someone had posted that they made calls simultaneously on a T600 and T650 - side by side - and the only difference was that the T650 showed the blank white screen during the delay, while the T650 was showing 'dialing' or some such - but that there was no tangible difference in the amount of time before they started ringing.

i could be mis-remembering though.
    Paul Theodoropoulos
    <a href=http://www.anastrophe.com>www.anastrophe.com</a>
  4.    #4  
    Thanks Gfunk!
    I believe you are correct in this. Someone timed this and found the delay the same, only the 600 put up a dialing screen so the delay was not as obvious.

The slowness that is the most noticable to me is a pause when switching into the phone app. Sometimes it not too bad, sometimes it's a few seconds. I don't know about the Sprint Treo 600, but this is something you definitely don't see with a GSM Treo 600.

Quote Originally Posted by anastrophe
    i thought someone had posted that they made calls simultaneously on a T600 and T650 - side by side - and the only difference was that the T650 showed the blank white screen during the delay, while the T650 was showing 'dialing' or some such - but that there was no tangible difference in the amount of time before they started ringing.

i could be mis-remembering though.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    Global Posts
    291 Global Posts
    Overall (aside from the phone bit), the T650 is a lot faster than the T600. my 600 feels slow as hell now. its like going from the palm M515 to the tungsten t. you really feel the difference in speed.
    I just timed this on my old Treo600 (now my wife's) and my 650. Starting from phone off to the first ring in a phonecall to the same number, the T600 beat the T650 by 2 to 3.5 seconds.
    When coming from another app it would range anywehre from 2 to 7 seconds slower due to massive delays at the infamous white screen.
    Timing from the moment I tap "dial" and the phone starts ringing the T650 is "only" 1 second slower than the T600.
    So, the 650 always slower when dialing, in some situations more than others, but the key difference is the T600 always reacts instantenously in its interface - you can start a call and hang it up inmediately if you change your mind and the phone keep up normally. This is maddeningly slow on the 650. The white screen and other delays on the 650 very often will cause delayed actions such as unwanted button presses and hang ups when you expect the phone to react quickly.

The T650 is also slower than the T600 (or a T3) in the calendar/datebook app: cycling through the times of day in the single day view also carries a delay that makes the phone "eat" keypresses. This does not happen on the T600. Contacts seems to be about the same on both.

All other apps seem to run much snappier on the T650, some feel like different applications because they're so fast.

I have to repeat, I don't think this necessarily has to do with NVFS - it's not proven - I think this is crappy PalmOne programming. Otherwise all (or at least some) other apps would be very slow as well, but they're all faster, by a lot.
    Quote Originally Posted by NSiNSiNSi
    I just timed this on my old Treo600 (now my wife's) and my 650. Starting from phone off to the first ring in a phonecall to the same number, the T600 beat the T650 by 2 to 3.5 seconds.
    When coming from another app it would range anywehre from 2 to 7 seconds slower due to massive delays at the infamous white screen.
    Timing from the moment I tap "dial" and the phone starts ringing the T650 is "only" 1 second slower than the T600.
    So, the 650 always slower when dialing, in some situations more than others, but the key difference is the T600 always reacts instantenously in its interface - you can start a call and hang it up inmediately if you change your mind and the phone keep up normally. This is maddeningly slow on the 650. The white screen and other delays on the 650 very often will cause delayed actions such as unwanted button presses and hang ups when you expect the phone to react quickly.

The T650 is also slower than the T600 (or a T3) in the calendar/datebook app: cycling through the times of day in the single day view also carries a delay that makes the phone "eat" keypresses. This does not happen on the T600. Contacts seems to be about the same on both.

All other apps seem to run much snappier on the T650, some feel like different applications because they're so fast.

I have to repeat, I don't think this necessarily has to do with NVFS - it's not proven - I think this is crappy PalmOne programming. Otherwise all (or at least some) other apps would be very slow as well, but they're all faster, by a lot.

Good post. Thanks

-rob
    Neopoint 1000, I300, Treo 300, i330, Toshiba 2032, Treo 600, T608/UX50, I500,Treo 600, G1000, Treo 650, PPC-6600, PPC-6700, Treo 650, Blackberry 7250, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, PPC-6800, 700wx, Motorola Q9c, Sprint Touch, Sprint ACE, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro, 800w, Touch Diamond, 800w, Treo Pro, Palm Pre, HTC Hero, Palm Pre, EVO 4G warm2.2
    does the T650 processor overclocking application help reduce the delay?
    La Vie En Diaspora: Enfin, une émission qui raconte votre vie aux Etats-Unis

Treo 600 in December '03, Treo 650 in February '05, HTC TyTN Pro in August '06, and back to Treo 750 in January '07, find me at MyTreo.net

About me: story of the 100thMonkey