1.    #1  
    I happen to know that my wife is giving me a 650 for Christmas!!! Unfortunately, we will be at my parents home for the holidays and I don't really want to lug my computer along on the vacation just to set up my 650.

I have a 1gb sd card, what do I need to do to set up my treo with all the software and patches from my sd card? I will be using the same hotsync ID as I used for my 600, but obviously I want to be careful about how and what I transfer. Is there a way to do this without a hotsync?

Thanks in advance!
    I'm not positive, but I don't think there's any way to do what you want without an initial hotsync to setup the 650. Even if you had a backup utility on the SD card, you wouldn't have a set of backup data. And there's no way (that I'm aware of) to do any kind of sync from an SD card.
    MarkEagle
    .....<a href="http://discussion.treocentral.com/tcforum/index.php?s=">TreoCentral</a> | <a href="http://discussion.visorcentral.com/vcforum/index.php?s=">VisorCentral</a> Forum Moderator - Forum Guidelines
    .....Sprint PCS Treo 650
    .....God bless America, my home sweet home...
  3.    #3  
    is it possible to simply install a few apps from sd?
    "If you think a weakness can be turned into a strength, I hate to tell you this, but that's another weakness." - Jack Handey
    As long as they don't require conduits, I guess that would work...
    MarkEagle
    .....<a href="http://discussion.treocentral.com/tcforum/index.php?s=">TreoCentral</a> | <a href="http://discussion.visorcentral.com/vcforum/index.php?s=">VisorCentral</a> Forum Moderator - Forum Guidelines
    .....Sprint PCS Treo 650
    .....God bless America, my home sweet home...
    or if you still have your 600 you can just beam stuff, like programs and even your entire address book.
    <body bgcolor="#ffffff">
    <p><font size="-2" color="#4684ff" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular"><b>imageone</b></font><font size="-2" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular"> &#x2022; current - <b>PowerBook G4 - Mac OS X - white iPod video 60GB - Treo 650 - 700p (Sprint)<br>
    </b></font><font size="-2" face="Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular">retired - Visor Deluxe - Visor Prism - Kyocera 6035 - Treo 300 - Treo 600 - Blackberry 7250</font></p>
    </body>
    Copy everything you want onto an SD card and onto the 650, one at a time. Or just tinker with it until you get home. Figure out all the quirks so you know that x is a 650 feature/bug and not the result/fault of x third-party program.
    MarkEagle: I love your avatar. Makes me smile every time.
    "'Form follows function' that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
  7.    #7  
    Thanks for the help guys. MarkEagle: ditto on the avatar props!
    "If you think a weakness can be turned into a strength, I hate to tell you this, but that's another weakness." - Jack Handey
    Couldnt he make a back-up image of his 600 from whatever that program is, Backup Buddy I think? Put the back up of his 600 on the SD card and when he gets his 650, put the card into it, and hit the backup button?

I did this when I traded out one of my 600's at the Sprint Store, it was a completly new phone, and after I hit the back-up button from the SD card, it restored ALL of my data and was if I did not even change phones.

Also ZLauncher will help you out by having most programs on the SD card and running them from there, never touching your internal memory.
    Outta curiousity...how do you beam your entire addy book? I beamed it after a few looping resets, but had to do it one at a time.
    Quote Originally Posted by dragonslayer76
    Couldnt he make a back-up image of his 600 from whatever that program is, Backup Buddy I think? Put the back up of his 600 on the SD card and when he gets his 650, put the card into it, and hit the backup button?
    It would be the same as HotSync-ing all of your old 600 stuff onto a clean 650: Misery, Agony, and Heartbreak. One at a time is the way to go.

As for beaming address book entries, you can beam whole categories at a time. When looking up Contacts, open Menu>Record>Beam Category. Same can be done with Calendar (I'm not sure if the Treo 600 Datebook ever supported categories, though).
    "'Form follows function' that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by imageone
    or if you still have your 600 you can just beam stuff, like programs and even your entire address book.
    That's what I figured I'd end up doing, just beaming the essentials until I can get home.
    Global Posts
    883 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by leadtrumpetdave
    That's what I figured I'd end up doing, just beaming the essentials until I can get home.
    Just remember beeming from the 600 to the 650 may not work if you device name is more then 10 characters. This is a known problem and it only effect beeming from 600 to 650

Personally would just put a few games on the sd card and not much else... why risk stability

enjoy your new treo
  13.    #13  
    Is there a way to load a contacts db from sd?
    Quote Originally Posted by dragonslayer76

I did this when I traded out one of my 600's at the Sprint Store, it was a completly new phone, and after I hit the back-up button from the SD card, it restored ALL of my data and was if I did not even change phones.

Also ZLauncher will help you out by having most programs on the SD card and running them from there, never touching your internal memory.
    And if he did what you said, he would just back up his new blank 650 to the card...

The key thing here is the Hotsync ID. A fresh Treo will not have one. Many programs will do just fine either being copied from a backup on a SD card or beamed from another machine, but the ones that rely on the HSID will not. You could use one of a few programs to set the HotSync ID to the one you had on your T600 and then use a back up from the T600 in the T650 to selectively (and carefully, I might add) restore from the T600's backup onto the T650.

For the four main PIM apps, you can just beam the files; AddressDB, DatebookDB, MemoDB and ToDoDB from your T600 to your T650.

I have just in the past two months updated from a T|3 to a Treo600 to a Treo650 and each time I did it without HotSyncing at my PC. It can be done and is actually much more selective if thats your thing.

PM me if you want any more info, like the proggies that set your HSID, etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Hair
    ...As for beaming address book entries, you can beam whole categories at a time. When looking up Contacts, open Menu>Record>Beam Category. Same can be done with Calendar (I'm not sure if the Treo 600 Datebook ever supported categories, though).
    For the four main PIM apps, you can just beam the files; AddressDB, DatebookDB, MemoDB and ToDoDB from your T600 to your T650.

Save yourself the time and hassle of jumping through all those hoops...