1.    #1  
    from the AOL website:

AOL for Palm
    AOL 3.1 for Palm
    AOL 3.2 for Palm OS5
    AOL 3.2.1 for Treo 600

NOTE: AOL 3.2.1 not designed for Treo 650. Client for 650 coming soon
    As stated in my other post about looping resets...I figured it was AOL 3.2.1 causing the problem. Thanks for the info Sam...
    Thank goodness. For weeks they argued that I was the only one that experienced the issue or that it was other software that caused the inifinite loops. So acceptance is the first step. lol
    Quote Originally Posted by bige
    Thank goodness. For weeks they argued that I was the only one that experienced the issue or that it was other software that caused the inifinite loops. So acceptance is the first step. lol
    Add one more broken application to the P1 strategy.
  5.    #5  
    WH

I understand your frustration - but why are you blaming P1 for this? True they changed things with the 650, but it's up to the developers to make sure their software is now compatible. Blaming P1 for aol's lack of function is like blaming the movie theater for showing a movie that you didn't like...
    Thank you Sam,

I will keep my eyes peeled now for the new version. As this is the only app I have on the 650 it should be proof of compatability. I sure hope the occasional freeze or loop goes away after that.
    Jeff
    why don't y'all use versamail or snappermail for your aol email...? and verichat or the UK aim for IM.
    ..?
    I had been using the AOL Client (and Verichat) but Snapper is a much, much better e-mail solution. I don't even have AOL on the 650 now, and probably won't add it when they come out with the compatible version.
    Quote Originally Posted by SamCraig
    WH

I understand your frustration - but why are you blaming P1 for this? True they changed things with the 650, but it's up to the developers to make sure their software is now compatible. Blaming P1 for aol's lack of function is like blaming the movie theater for showing a movie that you didn't like...
    Because every new Palm device that comes out leaves broken and orphan applications in its wake. There is no objecitve of, much less strategy for, backward compatibility. There is no notice to developers of the likely impact of otherwise arbitrary changes. In some cases, the developer may not even still be around.

However, it is not the impact on the developers, but that on the end user that I care about. The cost of identifying broken applications, upgrading to new versions, and often having to pay a second time for that which one has already paid for once, is a hidden cost of every upgrade. In many cases, the new device will never do all the things that the old one did. I still miss on my 600 functions that I relied upon on my 270 and Palm Vx.

It is not unreasonable for a user to expect that, unless he is told otherwise, all of his old applications will work on his new device. Here is a case where one must spend hours just identifying which of his old applications is breaking his new device. Even if the developer had already identified the incompatibility, even if he had prepared a new version, this might or might not help the poor user, not to say victim.

This disruption and cost of upgrading acts as a damper on the market. At my billing rate, the this cost of upgrading from a 600 to a 650 dwarfs the nominal price of the device. Because of the memory strategy on the 650, the incompatibilities between the 600 and the 650 will be much greater than those between earlier versions and the 600. These disadvantages dwarf the limited advantages that the 650 has over the 600.
  10.    #10  
    "There is no notice to developers of the likely impact of otherwise arbitrary changes. In some cases, the developer may not even still be around. "

Again I hear you and agree to an extent.. but you don't know at what point developers were told... nor can you expect P1 to know the coding of every program available to know if the changes they made will some how glitch. In the case of programs by developers not being still around.. that's also not something you can blame P1 for. Get frustrated, sure - but blame?

Listen - I'm not a p1 advocate, I just don't believe in placing blame but rather finding solutions. The device is still a baby in the market place. Can you remember how each windows version had similar issues? It's part of the pains of being an early adopter I feel. I've worked in the cell industry and will tell you, it's amazing that any company can get ANY phone into the marketplace - let alone one that's flawless or meets the needs of every person. Sometimes what seems obvious to us is something that they either didn't have the forsight - or quite possibly couldn't fix - at least not with the deadlines, etc that they were on. An excuse? perhaps - but reality. I wonder how many people would be screaming up and down if P1 delayed the 650 6 months after everyone went to the roadshow because they wanted to work on some of these issues.

Also - no matter how many times you "test" a product - nothing compares to real world scenarios. There are an infinite combinations of things people can do on the treo650 (or any device for that matter) and cause an unexpected result.

Just a little of my .02
    Listen - I'm not a p1 advocate, I just don't believe in placing blame but rather finding solutions. ......Just a little of my .02
    I do not think that I was or am placing blame. Until you questioned me on it, I had simply made an observation. You were the one that characterized it as blame.

That said, I confess that I do not know "the solution" in the sense of a silver bullet. Backward compatibility is a very hard problem. Both IBM and Microsoft have nearly foundered over it more than once. IBM once shipped 1400 emulators in 360s. They have perpetuated the open 360 operating system architecture in preference to the closed, but otherwise superior, FS (AS/400) architecture. Many of Microsoft's security problems are rooted in their desire not to break old applications, particularly games.

However, they both try to do their best, at least have strategies, do not introduce arbitrary changes without regard to the impact on old applications. The MS strategy of parallel operating systems, NT on the one hand, and 98, ME, and XP on the other was a strategy to maintain backward compatibilty until the applications could mature to the point that they could operate in the preemptive multi-tasking enviroment of NT.

However, we digress. This discussion is too significant to have in a thread where it is so far off topic.
    Global Posts
    327 Global Posts
    you can't expect to maintain full backwards compatibility when you are jumping between cpus that aren't completely compatible (and processors even within the arm family such as the OMAP used in the 600 and the strongarm used in the 650 are not completely compatible)
    Quote Originally Posted by thetoad
    you can't expect to maintain full backwards compatibility when you are jumping between cpus that aren't completely compatible (and processors even within the arm family such as the OMAP used in the 600 and the strongarm used in the 650 are not completely compatible)
    I think that "they can't expect to," indeed do not even care to, is my point.
    from the AOL website:

AOL for Palm
    AOL 3.1 for Palm
    AOL 3.2 for Palm OS5
    AOL 3.2.1 for Treo 600

NOTE: AOL 3.2.1 not designed for Treo 650. Client for 650 coming soon
    In my opinion AOL for Palm is a scam. I've had to pay $19.95 for several upgrades and 3.2.1 doesn't even work right on the 600. Having been a member for over 10 years, and considering that the Mac and PC versions are free, I think it's a royal scam.

Why buy this program when you can check your AOL mail with versamail and have problems for free?
    Last edited by IamVincent; 12/17/2004 at 11:32 AM.
    Because one some of us don't want to use verssmail or snappermail and then an additional chatting software. It's nice to have an all in one solution as the aol software offers. Secondly I've tried both versamail and snappermail and it still pulls all emails even emails that are not in the inbox but are placed in the ready to be deleted folder. I've tried every way to filter that stuff out and it doesn't so it's not a good solution.

The best solution is just having an aol version that is designed for the treo 650 at this point. Yes aol sucks etc etc, but some of us still want to use it. It's as simple as that.
    you can't even download any attachments from the aol program
    Because one some of us don't want to use verssmail or snappermail and then an additional chatting software. It's nice to have an all in one solution as the aol software offers. Secondly I've tried both versamail and snappermail and it still pulls all emails even emails that are not in the inbox but are placed in the ready to be deleted folder. I've tried every way to filter that stuff out and it doesn't so it's not a good solution.

The best solution is just having an aol version that is designed for the treo 650 at this point. Yes aol sucks etc etc, but some of us still want to use it. It's as simple as that.
    I understand that Verachat is not an integrated solution but another thread has a report that it runs on the 650. I have it on my 600 and find it very easy to use.
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by yeah yeah
    you can't even download any attachments from the aol program

So you know what changes are already planned for the 650 upgrade?

Agreed here.

DITTO- corporate requires me to use it, and versamail is a joke IMHO. I consider myself fairly adept regarding the use of software, and after several hours I still couldnt get versamail to work properly.

And an interesting update, I finally resynced after a freeze today, and left aol off, in hopes of determining if it is the problem, and will remain anxious to purchase the newest version of AOL for Palm, as it is much quicker to use. $20 is nothing if it solves this problem. As I have AOL setup to instant message me when email from approx 60 of my best customers comes in, and my messages starting popping up after my reboot, a long lost thought occurred to me. I checked the vision website (for you sprint users) and lo and behold, there was an option for portals, of which AOL is one of them. It is time consuming and tedious, but one can get and send emails from this portal, so I will use this option for a week and see if my loop/freeze issue goes away. If so I will do my best to hold out until AOL 3.2.2 arrives......

Wish us all luck, and Happy Holidays.
    Jeff