1.    #1  
    Two days after I got my Treo 650, I pushed the hangup button to hangup, and it did a soft reset. "Oh well," I thought. It happens. I'll just let it power up and not worry. However, it was caught in a nonstop loop where it just kept rebooting over and over and over. I was near the Sprint store and took it in straightaway. The tech did a hard reset and informed me of the Outlook Conduit download on PalmOne's sight. I downloaded it and thought that was it.

But just now, I wanted to get my serial number and ID so I could order the 128mb card, so I took the battery out to do so. When I put it back in, there again went the looping powerup.

Has anyone else been having this problem, and what can you do? My sync cable is at work, so if I hard reset, I have none of my data til I go back to the office. Plus, I shouldn't have to hard reset anyway. I shouldn't be having to deal with this at all.

Input, folks?

Cheers.
    Have you tried to do a warm reset? Do a reset and right after you hit the reset button hold down the 5way UP button all the way throught the reset. This should help.

Jeff
    embrace the hard reset, the first one can be very liberating.

seriously, I'm sorry you're going through this but a hard reset may be your only option. I've been there. May I suggest the backupman beta from bitsnbolts.com

search around and read about it. I felt helpless dealing with 650 troubles the first week or so. I had mine the first day consumers could. This app has greatly reduced my headaches!!!

GOOD LUCK
    Quote Originally Posted by dutchtrumpet
    embrace the hard reset, the first one can be very liberating.

seriously, I'm sorry you're going through this but a hard reset may be your only option. I've been there. May I suggest the backupman beta from bitsnbolts.com

search around and read about it. I felt helpless dealing with 650 troubles the first week or so. I had mine the first day consumers could. This app has greatly reduced my headaches!!!

GOOD LUCK
    I have also been a BackUpMan user for a long time now. It has saved me more than once and it allows you to do partial restores as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffgibson
    I have also been a BackUpMan user for a long time now. It has saved me more than once and it allows you to do partial restores as well.
    The only problem I have is my US Money register database. Both folks (US and bitsnbolts) are eager to help but I haven't had the time to follow up. Finally school is out, though!!!!!!!!! Besides that I have found the app to be bullet proof.
  6.    #6  
    Have you tried to do a warm reset? Do a reset and right after you hit the reset button hold down the 5way UP button all the way throught the reset. This should help.

Jeff
    Thanks Jeff...I tried that, and at first thought, "my god the man's some kind of genius." Then though, I was not able to actually turn the phone on. Even trying to dial, after it says the phone needs to be turned on to dial, and I tap "yes", it won't turn on. The clock is now two hours off as well, which I assume would be corrected once the phone came on and it got a signal.

So I thought maybe a simple soft reset from there would put me on track, but that just put it back into the infinite loop.

Any other ideas, short of the hard reset?

More importantly, how can I prevent this problem in the future??
    Quote Originally Posted by Jefferson
    Thanks Jeff...I tried that, and at first thought, "my god the man's some kind of genius." Then though, I was not able to actually turn the phone on. Even trying to dial, after it says the phone needs to be turned on to dial, and I tap "yes", it won't turn on. The clock is now two hours off as well, which I assume would be corrected once the phone came on and it got a signal.

So I thought maybe a simple soft reset from there would put me on track, but that just put it back into the infinite loop.

Any other ideas, short of the hard reset?

More importantly, how can I prevent this problem in the future??
    a warm reset will not allow the radio to power on. Think of it as safe mode in windows. It's your last chance to get in and get rid of the culprit before you resort to a hard reset.
    Quote Originally Posted by dutchtrumpet
    a warm reset will not allow the radio to power on. Think of it as safe mode in windows. It's your last chance to get in and get rid of the culprit before you resort to a hard reset.
    He's right. You now can now disable all of the programs that you think may be causing this reset problem. After you do all the disabling you think you have to do, then do another reset but this time DO NOT hold down the 5way UP key. See if the reset loop goes away. If it does then you can go bakc and re-enable each app until you find the one causing the problem.

One thing to be aware of though. On this 650, problems are very flacky. It may be that all of your apps will re-enable and all will be fine.

Jeff
    He's right. You now can now disable all of the programs that you think may be causing this reset problem. After you do all the disabling you think you have to do, then do another reset but this time DO NOT hold down the 5way UP key. See if the reset loop goes away. If it does then you can go bakc and re-enable each app until you find the one causing the problem.

One thing to be aware of though. On this 650, problems are very flacky. It may be that all of your apps will re-enable and all will be fine.

Jeff
    Best of luck but I have had much less success with warm resets on the 650 than on the 600
  10.    #10  

Jeff
    Ugh...how annoying. I was thinking that it might be my AOL 3.2.1 that was causing the problem, so I was going to delete it and see what happens. But when I go to "home", and pull the menu down, and tap "delete," it says "please wait" for about 2 seconds, then soft resets itself again, so I can't even get so far as to delete AOL.

I eventually just hard reset. Does anyone agree though that it might be AOL?
    Last edited by Jefferson; 12/17/2004 at 01:14 AM.