Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeTampa
    I had to go out and needed the phone stable for the day, so I uninstalled them both (since the screen brightness issue at first looked more ominous). I'll try re-installing BTmute alone and see what happens tomorrow.
    That sounds like the best option. I will also do some more code walk throughs and see if I can see anything out of order in the phone processing stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffgibson
    Can you explain a little more what you are thinking? Is this a general chage to the behavior of the power button or just inside of the phone app?

Jeff
    Absolutely. And thanks for asking!

As you know, the fourth button on the 650 has been changed from the classic Palm functionality of being an assignable launch button to a fixed combo button that does different things depending on the status of the phone. If on a call, pressing the red button hangs up. If not on a call, it shuts down the phone. If the phone is off, it turns it on. There's many problems with this, the main one being the the classic fourth button is effectively gone, since anytime you press it the phone shuts down.
    I have found some apps that seem to block it temporarily (for example, a free program called ScreenButton), but causes really strange behavior like delayed presses that hang up a phone call as soon as it rings.
    Palm inexplicably decided to not only make this design choice but to *block* users from assigning a different applications to this button in the prefs panel (which was always customizable before the 650) and forcing the power on/off functionality on us.

So, ideally, we would at least regain control of that button so we can make it act the way it works best for each of us, like so:

1- Ability to completely disable the power on/off functionality of the 4th button so it behaves like a traditional 4th hard button
    2- Ability to reassign an app to the 4th button, as well as an option-press app (by app I mean launching an application)
    3- Ability to assign the normal power/hangup functionality only when *holding* the button down for a specified time (say, 1 second).
    4- Ability to assign program exclusions so the button works normally in the excluded programs in case there's incompatibilities.

... and as a bonus:

5- The ability to do something similar with the side button: press to launch app/unction, or hold-press to launch app/function. This would make it possible to turn the side button into a new dedicated power button.

To give you an idea, the interface could be really simple:
    -One section labeled "4th button", with one checkbox for "disable power on/off functionality". Activating this checkbox would enable three secondary items: a) "except when held down for 'n' seconds" , b) "except when in the phone app" and c) "Assign this application (application menu)". Finally, a button labeled "exclusions" that when pressed would show a list of all available programs and a checkbox next to each to enable/disable this "hack" when each checked program is active.
    - A second area on the screen to do something similar for the side button.

That would basically be it in terms in UI...

I hope this is practical and aids in any way in the creation of this program. Let me know if I can provide any more help.

Again, I really appreciate you looking into this.
    Lets step through the problem.

1) Is ScreenCare (SC) able to show images if you press the prview button when you are in "pictures" mode?
    2) Does SC work in Picture mode? Will it kick in and show images after the timeout period?
    3) Is SC able to show special effects in preview mode? (Ie bugs, dissolve or custom icon)
    4) Does SC work in "application" mode? Will it kick in and show special effects after the timeout period?
    5) Did you load BTmute that I released in beta today?
    6) Did you load Shadowmites ROM's?
    7) Did anything else change on your 650? It is a 650 right?
    8) Do you by any chance have the phone app in the excluded application list? You can find this list by drilling into one of the launch application fields and choosing "view exclude list".
    1) No. I have all that disabled. I"ll re-enable it shortly, find some pictures, and fiddle with it to see if it works.
    2) See #1
    3) Yes
    4) Yep... as long as I set the palm "power off" timeout higher than SC's timeout.
    5) Nope. Hadn't seen it yet.
    6) Heck no. I may have been one of the folks talking to faisal initially, but I'm staying out of the whole mess now that everyone and their mother has access to the Rom updater... NOw - I did load that beta rom from palm that started the whole ROM mess... and it fixes my voice problem, so I'm going to stick with it if possible. But I didn't find out about SC until after I started using that ROM.
    7) The only thing that has changed is I've been updating my version of SC as you release...
    8) Hotsync and screen care are the only two listed

Thanks for your help!
    BOFH/Chavous Camp

Don't know what BOFH stands for? See here.
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeTampa
    I had another issue. I installed the BT headset app and after my first BT call, the screen brightness level was reduced to zero; I removed both that and ScreenCare for the moment. Jeff, should there be any issue with either the BT app alone or installed together with ScreenCare?
    Thanks for reporting this issue. After a detailed code review I found a condition where if you were on a call and you had a second call come in, there was a possibility that your brightness would be taken down to zero and left there. I have poseted a fix to this problem. The release number is v2.8.7 in my developer area.

Thanks again for reporting this condition.

Jeff
    Quote Originally Posted by NSiNSiNSi
    Absolutely. And thanks for asking!

As you know, the fourth button on the 650 has been changed from the classic Palm functionality of being an assignable launch button to a fixed combo button that does different things depending on the status of the phone. If on a call, pressing the red button hangs up. If not on a call, it shuts down the phone. If the phone is off, it turns it on. There's many problems with this, the main one being the the classic fourth button is effectively gone, since anytime you press it the phone shuts down.
    I have found some apps that seem to block it temporarily (for example, a free program called ScreenButton), but causes really strange behavior like delayed presses that hang up a phone call as soon as it rings.
    Palm inexplicably decided to not only make this design choice but to *block* users from assigning a different applications to this button in the prefs panel (which was always customizable before the 650) and forcing the power on/off functionality on us.

So, ideally, we would at least regain control of that button so we can make it act the way it works best for each of us, like so:

1- Ability to completely disable the power on/off functionality of the 4th button so it behaves like a traditional 4th hard button
    2- Ability to reassign an app to the 4th button, as well as an option-press app (by app I mean launching an application)
    3- Ability to assign the normal power/hangup functionality only when *holding* the button down for a specified time (say, 1 second).
    4- Ability to assign program exclusions so the button works normally in the excluded programs in case there's incompatibilities.

... and as a bonus:

5- The ability to do something similar with the side button: press to launch app/unction, or hold-press to launch app/function. This would make it possible to turn the side button into a new dedicated power button.

To give you an idea, the interface could be really simple:
    -One section labeled "4th button", with one checkbox for "disable power on/off functionality". Activating this checkbox would enable three secondary items: a) "except when held down for 'n' seconds" , b) "except when in the phone app" and c) "Assign this application (application menu)". Finally, a button labeled "exclusions" that when pressed would show a list of all available programs and a checkbox next to each to enable/disable this "hack" when each checked program is active.
    - A second area on the screen to do something similar for the side button.

That would basically be it in terms in UI...

I hope this is practical and aids in any way in the creation of this program. Let me know if I can provide any more help.

Again, I really appreciate you looking into this.
    Wow I wish more people would spell out what they want in as much detail as you have here!

I will look into it but I must tell you that the developers documentation has warnings in it about trying to reassign this button. We may be opening up a hornets nest but I will look into it.

Jeff
    Quote Originally Posted by bofh
    1) No. I have all that disabled. I"ll re-enable it shortly, find some pictures, and fiddle with it to see if it works.
    2) See #1
    3) Yes
    4) Yep... as long as I set the palm "power off" timeout higher than SC's timeout.
    5) Nope. Hadn't seen it yet.
    6) Heck no. I may have been one of the folks talking to faisal initially, but I'm staying out of the whole mess now that everyone and their mother has access to the Rom updater... NOw - I did load that beta rom from palm that started the whole ROM mess... and it fixes my voice problem, so I'm going to stick with it if possible. But I didn't find out about SC until after I started using that ROM.
    7) The only thing that has changed is I've been updating my version of SC as you release...
    8) Hotsync and screen care are the only two listed

Thanks for your help!
    Thanks for the information. Well it sounds like the program can function given that the "application" mode works. That's a good thing. So it sounds like the notifications that the phone api sends out are either no longer getting sent out or are no longer being interpreted correctly by SC. I have tested the functionality locally and of course it works great.

Do you have the same problem on both incoming and outgoing calls? Or is it specific to one or the other?

Can you try the v2.8.7 release that I put out today? FIxes a brightness problem but who knows. Maybe you got some corruption in the version that you last downloaded. If this version still dows not work, I will create a debug build that will show all of the phone events as they happen.
    Just tried 2.8.7 - no luck. Still won't go black and doesn't disable buttons... doesn't matter if it is an incoming or outgoing call...

I'll be happy to run a debug build and get you whatever info you need.

Thanks man!

Chavous
    BOFH/Chavous Camp

Just tried 2.8.7 - no luck. Still won't go black and doesn't disable buttons... doesn't matter if it is an incoming or outgoing call...

I'll be happy to run a debug build and get you whatever info you need.

Thanks man!

Chavous
    I think I may have found the problem. Is the normal screensaver active when you have this happen? I just found a condition where if the screensaver is active and a call comes in, it will not engage the phone screensaver. In the middle of making a fix for this problem.

Jeff
    Wow I wish more people would spell out what they want in as much detail as you have here!

I will look into it but I must tell you that the developers documentation has warnings in it about trying to reassign this button. We may be opening up a hornets nest but I will look into it.

Jeff
    Thanks Jeff! It probably has something to do with the fact that I am a product manager for a software company

I hear you about the hornet's nest... You have no idea how excited I am to hear that you are gonna take a stab at this. Please let me know if I can provide any assistance (unfortunately I am not a programmer). I will do as much testing as you wish. Godspeed!
    I think I may have found the problem. Is the normal screensaver active when you have this happen? I just found a condition where if the screensaver is active and a call comes in, it will not engage the phone screensaver. In the middle of making a fix for this problem.

Jeff
    By "normal screen saver" do you mean the screen dimming after 15 seconds or so in a call? If so, then yes... that is active...

but I have the SC timeout set for 5 seconds... so it should go into effect BEFORE the screen dims, yes?

I've said this before, but it bears repeating - thank you for being so responsive and putting together such a great product.

Chavous
    BOFH/Chavous Camp

By "normal screen saver" do you mean the screen dimming after 15 seconds or so in a call? If so, then yes... that is active...

but I have the SC timeout set for 5 seconds... so it should go into effect BEFORE the screen dims, yes?

I've said this before, but it bears repeating - thank you for being so responsive and putting together such a great product.

Chavous
    Normal screen saver was in reference to ScreenCare's normal image or special effects screensaver not the one on the palm.

And thanks for the kind words. I am just sorry that it seems like this 650 has me taking one step forwards and 2 backwards at times. It is truely a inconsistent platform.
    no. I have SC's normal screen saver disabled completely.
    BOFH/Chavous Camp

A new build of ScreenCare was posted today.

This verison has 3 major changes:

1) 650 stability. Rewrote the event processing logic.
    2) Fixes a condition where phone screen saver would not engage.
    3) Added an option to detect headsets (BT and wired). Now you have the ability ot only have the phone screen saver engage when you are on a headset.

Jeff

(The build can be found in my developers area)
    Could this app be used to disable the Answer and Hangup buttons on an incoming call? I would like to make it a little harder to answer the phone. I can't seem to take the phone out with out either hanging up or answering it.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234