Page 9 of 62 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213141959 ... LastLast
    Guys, I am awaiting faisal or palm's permission to continue playing with the loader. I don't want to get any more trouble for them than I have to. As such I will not continue this effort until I know if it's ok.
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowmite
    The biggest thing will be the fact that everyone has different interests/likes/dislikes in their program load... For instance, I LOVE Versamail, but hate Realplayer... So we need to create a couple different sets.

Now, based on this loader, it's highly likely we can keep using this same loader even for the new releases with some mods. We'll fight to keep this ability!
    I loved VersaMail too, untill the attachement file size kept creeping in size. The final straw was the auto-sync failures and no log that I knew of to see what the issue was. Snapper never (seldom) fails, I already paid for it and it will deal with attachments just fine, so I opted for that.

The last part "Now, based on this loader, it's highly likely we can keep using this same loader even for the new releases with some mods. We'll fight to keep this " LOVE YOUR STYLE...that's a hacker if ever there was....
    Thanks for the hard work here, with Wi-Fi, DUN and the rest. Your an asset.

I asssume that a ROM with Versamail and Real Player missing would make 75% of the people happy IMHO.
    Regards,matt
    Global Posts
    151 Global Posts
    Guys, I am awaiting faisal or palm's permission to continue playing with the loader. I don't want to get any more trouble for them than I have to. As such I will not continue this effort until I know if it's ok.

it is not my call. YOu need to talk to someone at PalmOne and ask them.

I am sorry. I appreciate your concern.

I cannot comment.

Sorry
    Shadowmite- You do not need permission from palm or any one person to modify these files. The internet is public domain and the files you are modifying are for "experimental use"

God forbid you actually fix something that hsould have been done correctly... Treo's are not "locked" devices... meaning, we can add/ remove any program we wish (other than those hard-coded) until now.... Now we have a chance to build something that really works for us and our phones. I have several reboots a day from the software Palm has released... Will they ever refund or prorate a refund to me for the inconvenience their phone causes when I have to wait for a reboot? NO!!!

In that sense, I think it would be a shame to allow your creativity to be wasted because of "fear" from Palm or any other individual. If palm was really concerned about the files, they should have built them in an executable, not the raw ROM data....

More importantly, your work (and other's too) should be considered educational. As long as you dont resell or charge for any releases, you will be fine. I have practiced corporate law for over ten years and can promise you that you are "legally" within your rights to alter code and change what you must (within the confines of "personal use" just as long as you dont do so with malicious intent or for money....

Sharing your finding and new build with us is perfectly OK... Just so long as you include a disclaimer.

For all of us here, I hope you change your mind and continue your work. We need your help.
    Quote Originally Posted by faisal
    it is not my call. YOu need to talk to someone at PalmOne and ask them.

I am sorry. I appreciate your concern.

I cannot comment.

Sorry
    Faisal,

You seem scared to death P1 is going to come after you or something. As long as P1 didn't explicitly instruct you not to distribute the file to anyone, you're okay. I seem to remember you saying the techs were monitoring this thread, reading the complaints and results from the patch. If that's the case, who cares what someone else does with the ROM loader after they download it. I mean, if this loader is SUCH a big deal, the technician that released it should feel the heat, not you.

After all, you and I and the rest of us out there simply want a phone that works properly. This patch gave us this solution. That's it.

Unless P1 instructed you not to give the patch to another soul, I would dismiss the entire thing. Who cares? It's their own fault, and they should be embarrassed that ordinary citizens can fix their problematic software faster than their own engineers!!!
    The below information remains in the original thread on this subject. Is it Palm's intellectual property as well?

[QUOTE=rriehl]Moderator Edit: The firmware link has been removed, as it is palmOne's intellectual property. But at least we know they are getting close to address the issue.

INSTRUCTIONS AS POSTED BY FAISAL:
    1. IMPORTANT!!! Plug your device into the charger first. Hot sync if you haven't already. Remember. At the end of this, you'll have to hard reset your device, so you will lose everything on it.

2. When you put the card in the SD slot, it should default to the "Card" applications menu.

3. Tap the ROMUpdater app. It will take you to a screen with a lot of text.

4. Type "rev cvt2" (no quotes). Hit the return key.

5. Type "ace" (no quotes). Hit the return key.

6. After the flash is complete, it will say, "PLEASE HARD RESET YOUR DEVICE". Here's how you do it:

a) Remove the battery cover and use the stylus to do a pin reset, located on the left side of the battery.

b) Quickly look at the LCD. You will see a bar moving from left to right. Before it reaches about midpoint on the bottom of the screen, press and hold down the RED phone button until you see the Palm logo.

c) When you see the Palm logo (the moving bar is gone), release the RED phone button. You will be prompted to press the up button to erase all of your data. Please do so.

7. Follow the steps to recalibrate your touch screen.

8. You're done! Re-sync your data and turn on your radio by pressing and holding the RED phone button.
    whats "superuser mode enabled'"??? Sounds cool!

00000b1d 73757065727573657220 L117 DC.B 'superuser mode enabled'

Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    I love the change.. For the 1st few weeks of having my phone all was well, and then the sound issue started... At 1st everyone said I sounded great then I started getting the 'you sound like you are in a wind tunnel' and 'you sound like you have an echo'... It has gotten worse day by day... I have not had any reboot problems whatsoever and I am happy about that... My only complaint now is the delay in going from the contact list...

Since I installed the update I have made 20 calls and I specifically asked how I sounded.,... Everyone said I was now crystal clear! P1 should be ashamed that they are harassing Faisal.. I for one am ecstatic that I got the download before the plug was pulled.... I can ACTUALLY use my phone now!!!!!

Shame on P1 for putting the 650 on the market with an unusable phone... Then it gets fixed and they yank the plug on it.. Sad really sad... I guess they want us all to forget about using the phone function until they and they alone feel the need to correct it.....
    Global Posts
    151 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LunkHead
    I love the change.. For the 1st few weeks of having my phone all was well, and then the sound issue started... At 1st everyone said I sounded great then I started getting the 'you sound like you are in a wind tunnel' and 'you sound like you have an echo'... It has gotten worse day by day... I have not had any reboot problems whatsoever and I am happy about that... My only complaint now is the delay in going from the contact list...

Since I installed the update I have made 20 calls and I specifically asked how I sounded.,... Everyone said I was now crystal clear! P1 should be ashamed that they are harassing Faisal.. I for one am ecstatic that I got the download before the plug was pulled.... I can ACTUALLY use my phone now!!!!!

Shame on P1 for putting the 650 on the market with an unusable phone... Then it gets fixed and they yank the plug on it.. Sad really sad... I guess they want us all to forget about using the phone function until they and they alone feel the need to correct it.....
    They werent harrassing me...

Basically i think that SPRINT can potentially get really pissed off if this thing gets out of control and some people install it and the thing gets fried.

PalmOne is concerned and they are happy you guys have a phone that works. They apologize for the issue.

I believe they wouldnt have a problem with a bunch of experienced users like us use the patch..

But they trusted me to work with them and i wasnt aware of the problems by distrubuting it.

Shadowmite.... i admire your passion for this.. i do not have the authority to tell you its ok..I would contact PalmOne and work with them....
    Global Posts
    151 Global Posts
    [QUOTE=AZGT]The below information remains in the original thread on this subject. Is it Palm's intellectual property as well?

Quote Originally Posted by rriehl
    Moderator Edit: The firmware link has been removed, as it is palmOne's intellectual property. But at least we know they are getting close to address the issue.

INSTRUCTIONS AS POSTED BY FAISAL:
    1. IMPORTANT!!! Plug your device into the charger first. Hot sync if you haven't already. Remember. At the end of this, you'll have to hard reset your device, so you will lose everything on it.

2. When you put the card in the SD slot, it should default to the "Card" applications menu.

3. Tap the ROMUpdater app. It will take you to a screen with a lot of text.

4. Type "rev cvt2" (no quotes). Hit the return key.

5. Type "ace" (no quotes). Hit the return key.

6. After the flash is complete, it will say, "PLEASE HARD RESET YOUR DEVICE". Here's how you do it:

a) Remove the battery cover and use the stylus to do a pin reset, located on the left side of the battery.

b) Quickly look at the LCD. You will see a bar moving from left to right. Before it reaches about midpoint on the bottom of the screen, press and hold down the RED phone button until you see the Palm logo.

c) When you see the Palm logo (the moving bar is gone), release the RED phone button. You will be prompted to press the up button to erase all of your data. Please do so.

7. Follow the steps to recalibrate your touch screen.

8. You're done! Re-sync your data and turn on your radio by pressing and holding the RED phone button.

It is not PalmOne property... Use at your own risk
    Shadow- I respect your decision to protect the innocent (Faisal, etc.) but if you wait for permission from P1, you will never get it! As far as I remember, we never got permission from anyone to hack the Treo 600s and unlocked them. I also cannot recall that anybody got in trouble for the unlock code. Heck, you can still get the code today without any problems...
    Of course palmone is going to say no if you ask them... However I don't think you legally need their permission to modify these files for personal use... So go for it, make something interesting out of the opportunity!!

Quote Originally Posted by no1ukn0w
    Tell that to my local sprint rep that is replacing them left and right. And to the at least 30 people in the other thread. I think you are confused.

<thinking outside of the box> If this wasn't a widespread issue P1 would not have this on the top of their priority list. They also probably wouldn't care that this patch was released. </thinking outside of the box>
    people who aren't having problems rarely complain about it. i'm not disputing that there are people having problems. claiming that the majority are having problems in the absence of - dear god, not another poll! - is just guessing.

guessing isn't empirical data, it's guessing. if i look down, i see that i have big feet. so i would guess that most people have big feet.

thank god i'm not always looking down.

try thinking outside the box yourself....
    Paul Theodoropoulos
    <a href=http://www.anastrophe.com>www.anastrophe.com</a>
    Quote Originally Posted by Boobookins
    Fact is you don't know that for certain. Your statement could be true, but it could also be false, and everything anyone has to say on what percentage of 650's suffer from the sound (or other) problems is annectdotal speculation. (Unless representatives from P1 and/or Sprint would like to chime in on this issue with hard data that only they would have.)
    you are correct, sir!

i misspoke.
    Paul Theodoropoulos
    Dear Faisal:

First off thanks for everything you have done. You did more to help solve the problem than anybody on the boards.

Secondly, you didnt do anything wrong. Legally or moraly unless you signed a non disclosure or licensing agreement. They knew what you were doing. Heck, Jeff at P1 and I discussed this thread in an email long before the plug was pulled.

Now the person who sent you the patch made a mistake. She (and I think I know who it is) did not realize how sophisticated some of the people on here are and that they would soon discover that what was sent could be used to do so many great things that, perhaps, P1s vendors and carriers don't like. Again, that is not your fault but theirs. They could have easily had you do a non-disclosure if they wanted or made it clear that you were to keep it to yourself. From your posts, I know if they had asked you to do that you would have honored there wishes.

They knew what you were doing, and, frankly, were not concerned about it at all, even the issue of possible "frying" until people started posting about removing RealPlayer and VersaMail and the like. THAT is when they obviously freaked out.

Now the person helping you may be in a little hot water because of what happend and its ok if you feel bad about that. But the person to be upset with is not yourself, but whoever let this knowingly go on until they realized..."oops, we gave them the power to actually control the device themselves, that might be bad for business!"
    Quote Originally Posted by GWB
    It's like dealing with an electric socket... use it right, and you see the light. Use it wrong and you get a nasty shock. Believe me, I know about that....
    ...use it wrong, and you are the light!

Paul Theodoropoulos
    On the mytreo.net front. Only admins can log on to the forum right now. "Admin" appears to be a valid username. All you need is the password.
    Guys, thanks to MoleMan, I have a permanent location to host my files that I can update freely. www.shadowmite.com will soon link there, once it's activated completely, in the meantime:
    http://www.virtualgspot.com/shadowmite
    Guys, thanks to MoleMan, I have a permanent location to host my files that I can update freely. www.shadowmite.com will soon link there, once it's activated completely, in the meantime:
    http://www.virtualgspot.com/shadowmite
    Cool man. Thanks. Quick question, if I decide to use the one that deletes Real Player, will the original one from P1 reinstall it (like the 650 came in the box)?
    Let me add, I have not yet verified the original or the one removing real player. They should work, and when I get home I'll try it out. If the original did not re-install it, the one with the DUN patch would...