Page 6 of 62 FirstFirst 12345678910111656 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Woof
    Curious. Was the Wifi driver removed (if it was ever here) because it too is Palm's intellectual property.
    And the Hacked BT DUN, did P1 give permission for that???

I disliked SV since, although he on occasion would make relevent points, he WANTED the 650 and P1 to fail. He did note in his last post, however, how Sprint and P1 no longer advertise here. Just wondering myself.
    That's stupid to take it down. Oh well, since I loaded the patch, P1 in essence made $600 because now that I can actually use it as a phone, I won't return it.

Because of the implied threat of a cease and desist letter being sent to TC.com, they pulled it (my thoughts, at least). For this reason, P1 will continue losing $ on 650's because of returns, etc., when in reality all you have to do is run this ROM update and have crystal clear phone calls. Now that it's gone, who knows how many will return/exchange the 650 because of poor sound quality...

All I wanted since day 1 was a clear call w/o having to use a headset, and now I have it, thanks to Faisal and TC.com. Now that the patch has been pulled, I feel sorry for those who didn't get it. At least now I can talk to my customers without fear they will hang up on me because of the lousy sound from my phone. It is a necessary patch, regardless of the "intellectual property" claim!

I would have no problem waiting for P1 to release this patch, but without any public acknowledgment of this issue, and knowing (from Faisal) that they are "secretly" working on a fix to a problem they won't admit, makes me nervous. Hell, it could take 6 months to release an "official" patch...that's unacceptable to me, so I'm glad I got the patch before it was pulled.

Good luck P1. I highly suggest you first admit there is a problem, and then offer this patch as a "beta test" download to willing participants. I love the results of this patch, and know for a fact everyone would benefit from this, which will translate into profit for your company. But you're your own company, so you know what's best I suppose...
    One might assume that P1 wanted to be the "hero" when the patch is "ready" and the notion that it was on a message board before it was on their official site wouldn't bode well....
    Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by midmofan
    And the Hacked BT DUN, did P1 give permission for that???
    LOL... I bet the question goes unanswered!
    Quote Originally Posted by SamCraig
    One might assume that P1 wanted to be the "hero" when the patch is "ready" and the notion that it was on a message board before it was on their official site wouldn't bode well....
    I wouldn't expect less. Customers really don't matter to most big business these days
    i downloaded the patch but failed to download the directions to install it and now they are gone.

my email is orders@nativetech.com if someone would forward them to me i would be eternally grateful.
    Quote Originally Posted by no1ukn0w
    sorry... if you want to get that critical about my statement:

You shouldn't have a t650 at all. They should have never released a phone with this many bugs, goes to show they have a horrible Q/C process. If you have a working phone congrats. If you check out the other thread you are one of the few.
    no, in fact, i'm one of the majority who have working phones.
    Paul Theodoropoulos
    <a href=http://www.anastrophe.com>www.anastrophe.com</a>
    Quote Originally Posted by anastrophe

Are you sure? I believed my voice quality was great (only one person complained frequently so I thought it was his phone) After reading this thread I started asking people and sure enough most people didn't say anything because they were being polite.
    Tell that to my local sprint rep that is replacing them left and right. And to the at least 30 people in the other thread. I think you are confused.

<thinking outside of the box> If this wasn't a widespread issue P1 would not have this on the top of their priority list. They also probably wouldn't care that this patch was released. </thinking outside of the box>
    Quote Originally Posted by midmofan
    Did someone from P1 ask you to do this?
    Yes.
    there is no "majority" of working treo 650's
    Quote Originally Posted by LunkHead
    LOL... I bet the question goes unanswered!
    PalmOne has made no comment to us regarding the DUN or the WiFi files. I think access to the ROM Loader, not the patch itself, was more of an issue in this case.
    Quote Originally Posted by GregV
    Moderator Edit: The firmware has been removed, as it is palmOne's intellectual property. But at least we know they are getting close to address the issue.

I think there was a certain level of tolerance, until people started manipulating the patch. Had the files been used as intended I think there would have been a blind eye at least for a little while longer.

For all we know Real Player might have threatened P1 with legal action for allowing the public acess to a file that removed there software. If I had paid P1 for my software to fixed, I would be pissed that this could happen. If P1 can't demonstrate that they actively try to maintain the integrity of the RP in the OS they would definately have a problem.

I personally think they have no probs with people updating the ROM I think they are just resulting to the age old policy of CYA

While it sucks that its gone, you guys had to see it coming right?
    My 650 sounded just ok before the patch, and it's just ok now. Not much difference. My voice was not and is not choppy, but still sounds rather digitized. I'm wondering if it's because I didn't do a hard reset (didn't need to). Two questions: Should I hard reset anyway, and, um, how do you do a hard reset? Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by sxtg
    For all we know Real Player might have threatened P1 with legal action for allowing the public acess to a file that removed there software. If I had paid P1 for my software to fixed, I would be pissed that this could happen. If P1 can't demonstrate that they actively try to maintain the integrity of the RP in the OS they would definately have a problem.
    Good Point. Never looked at it that way... but I did see it coming.
    Ok guys, I've sent the modified rom update to incorporate the bluetooth patch to someone offering to host it. If he does or not is up to him since Palm has asked this file not to be spread around by TreoCentral...
    Fact is you don't know that for certain. Your statement could be true, but it could also be false, and everything anyone has to say on what percentage of 650's suffer from the sound (or other) problems is annectdotal speculation. (Unless representatives from P1 and/or Sprint would like to chime in on this issue with hard data that only they would have.)
    Oh, so they have internet on computers now!
    --Treo 650 unlocked/unbranded with Rogers
    Quote Originally Posted by scottwired217
    My 650 sounded just ok before the patch, and it's just ok now. Not much difference. My voice was not and is not choppy, but still sounds rather digitized. I'm wondering if it's because I didn't do a hard reset (didn't need to). Two questions: Should I hard reset anyway, and, um, how do you do a hard reset? Thanks.
    I believe a hard reset is required.
    I wonder if the main problem was the actual access to the ROM itself, and not anything in particular that lives there. Remember I was very worried about a self-professed non-technical type like Mr. Faisal going in and reflashing his ROM? Can you imagine how many TREO 650's are going to end up in the repair window at their local Sprint store because someone flashed their ROM to smithereens? The ability to reflash the ROM and actually tinker with what lives there is pretty darn high-level. It's like dealing with an electric socket... use it right, and you see the light. Use it wrong and you get a nasty shock. Believe me, I know about that....

I guess Mr. faisal rather luckily got to someone at PalmOne who took pity on him (and the rest of us) and worked independent of protocol to provide him the now-infamous patch. Anyone wanna bet whether or not that person/those people still work for PalmOne? (I myself hope they do, since they may be the only ones able to permanantly fix the sound thing. Bet they weren't on the design or testing team, either!)

I still want to know how the phone got released with this glitch, but maybe I just answered that question...

And PLMO is down 20% today. Hope Seldom sharted, I mean shorted.....
    Quote Originally Posted by marcus
    I think access to the ROM Loader, not the patch itself, was more of an issue in this case.
    Speaking of which. With access to the ROM Loader would it be possible to remove to stuff from ROM, like Realplayer, in order to free up memory? Anyone? Anyone? Shadowmite?
    Oh, so they have internet on computers now!
    --Treo 650 unlocked/unbranded with Rogers