Page 59 of 62 FirstFirst ... 949545556575859606162 LastLast
Results 1,161 to 1,180 of 1233
    Quote Originally Posted by experiment626
    Is installing a new ROM set of apps destructive to what you already have installed on your Treo? For instance, is it like a Hard Reset where after I install the ROM I will need to reinstall all of my other apps?
    Yes. The final step of installing a custom ROM is to do a hard reset. You will need to reinstall all RAM apps and data. This can be done by using a backup program, by syncing from the Palm backup folder, or manually.
    What is the known issue of using FileZ in a ROM?
    (from aaronc's post)

jc
    Finally decided to live on the edge and try shadow's rom tool. I have to say wow!

Making your own rom is easy and very cool. Requires a little experimentation but it works slick.

Kudos to you Shadowmite. You rule!!
    “There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.”
    — Ed Howdershelt
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."- Thomas Jefferson
    I have downloaded Shadowmite's Mimimum ROM. I do not need DUN. Can someone tell me after I have opened the minimal ROM, which files can I remove so as to not have DUN installed?
    In reference to The minimal ROM, When I open it using Shadowmite's ROM tool, Do not remove or install anything, "Build It" The file is 2 bytes bigger than the one downloaded. Is this a problem?
    Is there a way to update the rom with the bluetooth car kit, or do I need to install that after the rom flash?
    Global Posts
    174 Global Posts
    Ok. Here are my results from updating rom with shadowmites app.....

I started with the base ROM from shadowmites site, I then added butler, phone technician.
    Both of these I have a reg code for, but couldnt register them if they were in rom..it just said the reg code was wrong. I then used backupbuddyvfs (ver 2.13) to do a partial restore of all files but butler.prc and phone technician.prc. After the restore and reboot, both apps were registered and in rom!!
    I then went back and started really playing.
    Here is my final rom and how I got there....
    Butler
    phone technician
    Biz connect
    mobipocket

both mobipocket and biz connect are only the actual prc file (mobibook.prc and biz connect.prc) After doingthe rom update, I then did a partial restore removing the actual PRC files that I just put on ROM.

Everything is working fine, and has been since 9am est.

Hope this helps others.....
    Quote Originally Posted by franklane
    In reference to The minimal ROM, When I open it using Shadowmite's ROM tool, Do not remove or install anything, "Build It" The file is 2 bytes bigger than the one downloaded. Is this a problem?
    No, it's not a problem. The zip method of compression used by that other file is different, and written in a different way. Thus the way it compresses is slightly different. My tool always tries to get the maximum compression it can, but there are a variety of factors that can change the final file. Notice the md5 sum is not the same either after it's been re-compressed.

As for deleting dun, please start with the original voice quality rom from palm rather than one of mine if you don't want the dun patch built in. There is no reason not to want it though, it doesn't make the phone run buggy unless you forget and leave it set to on.
    does the dun patch install in ram or rom & survive reset?
    does it interfer with anything like the snd quality patches? I'm doing ok w/mem & have no snd issues.
    also...whats faster data..bt or pdanet (i have pdanet)?
    PdaNet is faster, especially when used with the sync cable... but still faster with BT than the BT DUN patch.
    Quote Originally Posted by johnski1969
    does the dun patch install in ram or rom & survive reset?
    does it interfer with anything like the snd quality patches? I'm doing ok w/mem & have no snd issues.
    also...whats faster data..bt or pdanet (i have pdanet)?
    If you just install the btmanager.patched file it's in ram, if you install the custom roms, it's in rom... The only change was 2 bytes that eliminate hiding the option, as long as you don't use it it won't effect you in any way.

As for speed, people have claimed pdanet is faster, others claim the patch is faster. The honest truth is they are about the same and it's based on network use when you connect. If there is minimal use when you sign onto vision you'll get a faster connection than is their is heavy use. While you are on it's doesn't really change. You have to sign off and back on to get the speed to change because of the way the lines are "leased". At least that's my understanding of cdma 1xrtt data.
    thanx shadow!
    how bout if dun in ram...does it survive soft reset only right?
    & has anyone figured out increased batt drain w/ bt dun?
    Is there a way to tell if a modified ROM from Shadowmite's site installed properly? I used the one with the voice patch only. The only glitch I had was doing a hard reset on the phone immediately- I did do it though. I get many complaints still of audio quality about cutting out etc.
    Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron C
    Ok. Here are my results from updating rom with shadowmites app.....

I started with the base ROM from shadowmites site, I then added butler, phone technician.
    Both of these I have a reg code for, but couldnt register them if they were in rom..it just said the reg code was wrong. I then used backupbuddyvfs (ver 2.13) to do a partial restore of all files but butler.prc and phone technician.prc. After the restore and reboot, both apps were registered and in rom!!
    Did you hotsync before you tried to register butler and phone technician? They require a correct hotsync name for the registration to work, which isn't present right after a hard reset. I was able to register the apps fine as long as I did a hotsync first.
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldfinger
    Is there a way to update the rom with the bluetooth car kit, or do I need to install that after the rom flash?
    I too am interested in the possibility of incorporating the bt car kit update into the rom. Anybody?
    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo999
    I too am interested in the possibility of incorporating the bt car kit update into the rom. Anybody?
    I'll try to get those files zipped up in a package later tonight. Currently I'm working toward getting the romtool to show you the zipfile size and allow the user to continue adding or removing and re-zipping until they are happy with the size...

Give me a bit...
    I have a card reader for everything but SD - and I can get one - I know they are cheap. But I'm in the ROM-Updating mood today!

Instructions say you must copy the info using a Card Reader.

Can I just do the same thing from the PC to the SD-Card on the T650 using some kind of file-management tool like Palm File Browser that allows me to review the T650 files and copy to/from the T650 using my PC? My first attempt caused a soft-reboot on the T650. No apparent damage but I want to double check before I get myself into trouble.

Thanks for any feedback.
    Yeah, Palm File Browser works pretty well.
    Mac users: Shadowmite has posted an AppleScript custom ROM tool on his site that I wrote that automates the process of creating custom ROMs on OS X. I'll post the readme I include so you can decide if you want to download it:

MODIFYING YOUR ROM IS VERY DANGEROUS AND CAN RENDER YOUR TREO DEAD. THE AUTHOR OF THIS SCRIPT ACCEPTS NO RESPONSIBILITY IN CASE OF DAMAGE CAUSED TO YOUR TREO. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK.

NOTES ON USE:
    This AppleScript application will assist in customizing a ROM for the Treo 650, and Treo 650 ONLY.

- The script expects the "ROM Customizer" folder to be in your home folder.
    - The working custom ROM folder is "custom ace-palmos." This initially is shadowmite's minimal ROM (#4). DO NOT MODIFY THIS FOLDER YOURSELF. (That's what this script is for!) You will probably not remove anything from the ROM the first time you run the script.
    - Place the files you wish to add to your ROM in the PRC Cache folder.
    - When the script runs, you are prompted select files to add, and then to remove, from your custom ROM. For files to add, it will look in "PRC Cache" by default, but you can pick files from anywhere on your computer. To remove it looks in "custom ace-palmos," and this this is a required location for choosing what to remove.
    - Copies of the files added and removed from your custom ROM will be placed in the matching subfolders in the PRC Cache folder. Files to add will be removed from the original location (if that doesn't suit you then put a copy in "PRC Cache" to preserve your original). This is handy to keep track of your customization. If you wish to add something back, you can select it from the "Removed" subfolder when you run the script again.
    - Instructions on how to put your custom ROM on your Treo will be displayed after the script runs.

If you don't understand the instructions above, then you probably should not be using this script! This script is only meant to assist the ROM customization process, but you still need to know what you're doing. If you have questions, then PM cpryce on TreoCentral, but I won't encourage you to use this script if you don't seem to have a certain level of knowledge. That's not to be condescending, but this really is a dangerous practice, and damage resulting from trying to customize your ROM is not covered under warranty. Again, use at your own risk!
    no, I didn't hotsync.....good catch. I would sill need to do a partial restore for mobipocket but others may not need that. does anyone have an accurate size for the acepalmos.zip file? mine died at 7064kb or aprox 6.9 meg. that was when I added mapopolis to my rom......