Page 58 of 62 FirstFirst ... 84853545556575859606162 LastLast
Results 1,141 to 1,160 of 1233
    I've been looking at the PTT code as well, but can't find how to call it or what option may be hidden to enable it. The functions are in place but what the heck triggers them?
    Global Posts
    174 Global Posts
    ON the subject of Shadowmites rom builder...
    I know there are some issues with registered apps in the ROM. From what I have read here, some apps havethe registration modify the PRC itself while others modify a seperate data file. IS there a list of apps that can be loaded on ROM that can be registered later, or is it possible to register your app, then use the modified prc on the treo 650 as your prc to add to the ROM?

In case someone wants to do all the work here is a list of apps I am concerned with:
    BUttler
    Technician
    Filez (i know this one has known issues!)
    ptunes deluxe
    card export II
    mapopolis.
    mobipocket

I know not all of these would fit in rom, but the ability to add what I could would be nice.
    Thanks for any help or pointing in the right direction
    That the comanies merge so quickly after a phone is realesed full of PTT stuff?
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowmite
    No, how could it be the color of your skin when I can't see it!?!?!

It's possible, I don't want to say much until I know for certain. All I know is the phone app has a massive amount of code for PTT functionality. Remember verizon's service is called PTT (Push to talk), sprint is readylink... I don't know if this means anything yet... None of the menu's really indicated how it is supposed to work.
    Shadow,
    Have you ever figured out what changed in the ROM that P1 leaked?
    Is there any possibility that all of the PTT stuff is causing the sound issues?

This is what I am thinking...
    Maybe the 650 was supposed to be announced with the Sprint/Nextel merger, but difficulties pushed the merger back and they had to scramble to change the phone so they could put it out anyway, causing unforseen quality issues. I think its odd that they would put something out with so many fualts and I don't believe they spend that much $$ on a product with out testing it. It's also a little suspect that they were able to get the sound issues fixed so soon (realizing they haven't officially released it but we know it exists)

What do you think? Is any of that possible? Is it possible that the PTT wasn't intended for a possible future upgrade, but instead was crippled for an untimely release?
    I think development of the 650 started and more-or-less ended long before the Sprint-Nextel merger was being seriously discussed. Sprint has had it's own PTT solutions (ready-link) for quite some time. And remember that the treo software is pretty much the same for all service providers, and Verizon has a "walkie talkie" service called PTT.

The PTT code in the treo, I'm certain, is to support Ready-link and/or Verizon PTT, and totallly unrelated to Nextel.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron C
    ON the subject of Shadowmites rom builder...
    I know there are some issues with registered apps in the ROM. From what I have read here, some apps havethe registration modify the PRC itself while others modify a seperate data file. IS there a list of apps that can be loaded on ROM that can be registered later, or is it possible to register your app, then use the modified prc on the treo 650 as your prc to add to the ROM?

Look here:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...&highlight=rom
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb
    I think development of the 650 started and more-or-less ended long before the Sprint-Nextel merger was being seriously discussed. Sprint has had it's own PTT solutions (ready-link) for quite some time. And remember that the treo software is pretty much the same for all service providers, and Verizon has a "walkie talkie" service called PTT.

The PTT code in the treo, I'm certain, is to support Ready-link and/or Verizon PTT, and totallly unrelated to Nextel.
    Well like I said its just my speculation. However I think there were talks of the merger going on for quite some time. I don't think someone gets a hankrin and then they merge less than a month later.
    The issue here is the rom loader is VERY powerful. I am going to have a field day with it... We can flash ANY code to it... Included in the flash is a bootloader, and the rom (a zip with a bunch of files to be loaded). We can add/remove pretty much anything with this. Combined with a md5 sum program, this can be powerfuly dangerous if someone gets careless. You mess up the bootloader, and the phone is gone until it gets jtag'd. If you mess with it, ONLY mess with the rom files...
    Or thinking about the positive possibilities of such power... A 100% linux or bsd os could be developed for the phone now!
    Code:
    Brian K. White  --  brian@aljex.com  --  http://www.aljex.com/bkw/
    +++++[>+++[>+++++>+++++++<<-]<-]>>+.>.+++++.+++++++.-.[>+<---]>++.
    filePro BBx  Linux SCO  Prosper/FACTS AutoCAD  #callahans Satriani
    Global Posts
    174 Global Posts
    Meyerweb,
    I saw that thread, but need something more comprehensive. Maybe it will just need to be trial and error once I know that shadow's rom builder is working.
    Aaron, i think trial and error is your best bet.

I did find out, for anyone who is interested, that Zlauncher will work from the ROM, no problem. You just have to load the themes independtenly into ram (or onto a card). But the program wokrs from the ROM beautifully.

I've also got a great program called Uninstall Manager, that i love, that tracks all files associated with a program, so when you uninstall them, it gets rid of everything, so no hidden files are left. Also allows you to "test" programs in its "sandbox" to see if they work before doing a complete install. I have that, along with Zlauncher in my ROM, and i'm very happy.
    For some reason the ZLauncher prc does not want to go into the zip - I get an error: "invalid property value" message... I don't think it's getting too big (???) - I'm starting with #5. Anyone know what that might be?

Alternatively, if I add Snapper instead, when I do a restore using BackupMan, do I just exclude the Snapper prc, and restore all other files?

When I created the +Snapper version of #5, the zip was ~6.6M, so I'm thinking Zlauncher might still fit (probably wishful thinking, but would be sweet)...

THANKS SHADOWMITE!
    airjoe, I think you're still using 0.5 from yesterday, download the new one, 0.6... I fixed the problem loading programs starting with a Z...
    Quote Originally Posted by sasq
    I was on vacation with my Palm when I first noticed the sound issue. I had no Bluetooth available, and actually didn't even have a hotsync cable. I was able to sync via IR and my Laptop however.
    I found success in upgrading the ROM this way, though.
    I used pocketLink to download the zip file directly from Shadowmite's website. (File too big for Blazer). Then I used lightNzip to unzip the file on the memory card itself. I moved the directories to the appropriate spots with fileZ, then began the usual process. Hope that helps.

That is, excuse me, friggn slick.
    Code:
    Brian K. White  --  brian@aljex.com  --  http://www.aljex.com/bkw/
    +++++[>+++[>+++++>+++++++<<-]<-]>>+.>.+++++.+++++++.-.[>+<---]>++.
    filePro BBx  Linux SCO  Prosper/FACTS AutoCAD  #callahans Satriani
    airjoe, I think you're still using 0.5 from yesterday, download the new one, 0.6... I fixed the problem loading programs starting with a Z...
    PERFECT! Zlauncher fit too, and I have about 300k left. AWESOME!!! Thanks - this is so fun...
    Oh yeah, was gonna mention that.....we can add ZLauncher to the working list. =D
    This is so cool. But how about a list of what files to remove for what application ie: what can you delete to remove vesamail ect ect.

RJ
    How about searching this thread for post containing "versamail" this has been covered extensively. Search for post containg MM also becuase there are some that you don't want to delete.
    so is it safe to assume that the rom tool works?
    “There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.”
    — Ed Howdershelt
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."- Thomas Jefferson
    Quote Originally Posted by Woof
    so is it safe to assume that the rom tool works?
    Very well!
    Is installing a new ROM set of apps destructive to what you already have installed on your Treo? For instance, is it like a Hard Reset where after I install the ROM I will need to reinstall all of my other apps?
    They will be recovered from backup....unless (like in my case) you don't want them to so you remove the backup.