Page 46 of 62 FirstFirst ... 36414243444546474849505156 ... LastLast
    Welcome to the Device Updater...
    ROM Build: 1025
    Built: Dec 9 2004 20:19:54

SD Card VolRefNum: 0x0002
    HW Rev: CVT2

PLEASE MAKE SURE YOUR DEVICE IS PLUGGED INTO A CHARGER!

ROM image directory found on card, installing from there
    rev cvt2
    Flashing IPL will use: CVT2
    ace
    Preparing to update Ace.
    Verifying the image files...
    Validating /ROM/ace-ipl-CVT2 ...OK!
    Validating /ROM/ace-spl ...ERROR: Ace image files corrupt or missing.
    ERROR: Aborting update.
    Error (0x0007): Can't find file

Any idea what I'm doing wrong now?
    I had this same error. Try a hard reset and then it should work. I am not sure why, but it worked for me!
    If you get that error message you've created a custom rom but did not re-calculate the md5 sum. You must generate the new md5 value of the zip file to get it to pass the validation test.
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowmite
    If you get that error message you've created a custom rom but did not re-calculate the md5 sum. You must generate the new md5 value of the zip file to get it to pass the validation test.

I;
    'm sorry but HUH?
    Quote Originally Posted by imannie
    I;
    'm sorry but HUH?
    I applaud your technical efforts and abilities, however this is the reason this is dangerous. People who are well meaning but have no business attempting these updates. Whether they don't understand or just haven't bothered to read the instructions some are going to end up with dead phones.
    EVERY DEAD PHONE SO FAR HAS BEEN CAUSED BY SOMEONE EDITING A CUSTOM ROM IMAGE AND REZIPPING THE ROM FILE WITH A EMBEDDED DIRECTORY. IF YOU ATTEMPT TO CREATE A CUSTOM ROM YOU MUST VERIFY THE ZIP FILE DOES NOT CONTAIN A DIRECTORY!!!!

Sorry if it is clear to others, but what is a directory when flashing a ROM?

Thanks,
    Todd
    Quote Originally Posted by brickjr
    Homer Simpson's famous "Press any key... where's the 'any' key?" statement.

A classic, Brickjr, but if you're Homer then I must be Barney Gumble (his buddy who burps) LOL.

When I get the b*#lls, I am gonna flash my ROM too!

Keep up the great work guys.
    Nanotechnology Nerd
    i300-->i330-->i500-->6700(1 wk!)-->Sprintt650-->gsm650-->HTC Universal (1 mo.)-->gsm650-->Cing8525(3wks!)-->gsm650
    Thanks Shadowboxer. I'm glad to see someone appreciates the finer things in life. The Simpsons and Family Guy reruns keep my sarcastic wit at it's highest...

As for everyone else having problems with the ROM updates... PLEASE be very careful with this. I think someone else said it before, but if we end up with tons of people with dead phones getting returned to Sprint, it may force them to be more aggressive toward squashing our efforts.

There are very clear instructions at the beginning of this thread:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...&highlight=rom

If you don't understand them, you probably shouldn't be attempting this process on your own. It's not extremely complicated once you've done it a couple times, but it does require precise actions on your part.

If you're familiar with command based (MS-DOS style) prompting/input, you can use several programs to recalculate the .md5 file that Shadowmite is referencing above. I use one called "FastSum", and I haven't had any problems yet. Once again though, you need to be familiar with the commands.

Finally, if all else fails, just ask someone if they'd mind creating a ROM image for you. Several people on this board are familiar with the process, so you might get lucky (PM me and if I'm not busy I'll build one for you). One thing though... make sure you aren't requesting full versions of software that you don't legally own. I have built a couple ROM images for people and am only willing to include shareware versions of any software they request. That way they have to enter their own registration numbers to get full functionality. Also, some programs just don't work right in ROM, so your requests might not be possible.

I hope I haven't just wasted everyone's time, but it seems like this thread is getting so long it's reverting back to the same conversations that happened 400 entries ago...
    Just to let you know, I did a hard reset, and although I sound a little tinny, listeners are no longer missing every third word. I can deal with this until a fix comes out that I can just install. Thanks to all for the help.
    Hmm, on a new tangent here (this is afterall the Treo Hacking thread now!) it appears the phone software on the 650 WAS designed for 1.3 megapixel... Check this entry out:

(0000)1280 x 960

It appears sprints overlay blocks it. But I am fairly certain the hardware doesn't support it, so I don't know if I should bother to enable it... Wonder what would happen!
    Hmm, on a new tangent here (this is afterall the Treo Hacking thread now!) it appears the phone software on the 650 WAS designed for 1.3 megapixel... Check this entry out:

(0000)1280 x 960

It appears sprints overlay blocks it. But I am fairly certain the hardware doesn't support it, so I don't know if I should bother to enable it... Wonder what would happen!
    Well by gosh, give it a try! With the BS that P1 has put out at times, it is certainly possible that the REAL reason they did not put in megapixel was because Sprint or somebody didnt want it because of people using too much bandwidth sending photos.

(0000)1280 x 960

Shadow I am no expert but I believe the hardware to be pretty simple I.E. a lens and shutter. I think the rest is up to the palms ability to translate data. It definately might be worth a shot

(0000)1280 x 960

Give it a try old chap. You will undoubtedly win more acclaim if it works.
    “There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.”
    — Ed Howdershelt
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."- Thomas Jefferson
    yes..i now have 650...we won't go into how... mums the word... I have not had the sound prob w/out patch... so..its a prob..but not for all... wonder how that could be since its fixed by software... wonder what's diff between ones w/prob & without?
    Quote Originally Posted by sxtg
    Shadow I am no expert but I believe the hardware to be pretty simple I.E. a lens and shutter. I think the rest is up to the palms ability to translate data. It definately might be worth a shot
    You're missing the key piece....the CMOS chip...it is what determines the pixel count.

Here's an interesting article that mentions why they chose VGA:
    http://www.pdastreet.com/articles/20...lly-Takes.html

"To palmOne, the CMOS camera solution it uses in the Treo 650, as opposed to a CCD implementation like with the Treo 600, doesn’t deliver good enough quality pictures in dim light at one-megapixel as it does at VGA."

I'm not exactly sure, but the way I read it implies that the chip may be capable of higher than VGA, but P1 wasn't happy w/ the results.
    Guys, I'm looking into it... there is a huge section of code just to decide what resolutions the camera can do... I've started tinkering with it (got it to start listing all the non supported ones, but still not the 1.3 meg... If the hardware is capable, they'll NEVER live this down...
    I've got $5 that says if you can find the hack, the 650 will do megapixel. Perhaps not great low light results but megapixel none the less

Any takers?
    Guys, I'm looking into it... there is a huge section of code just to decide what resolutions the camera can do... I've started tinkering with it (got it to start listing all the non supported ones, but still not the 1.3 meg... If the hardware is capable, they'll NEVER live this down...
    Un-freakin'-believable... I'm betting that it's still the same hardware that we heard people commenting about when the prototypes were floating around before the release.

I'm no PalmOne executive... but if you were PalmOne and you had a finished product with a 1.3 megapixel camera IN YOUR HAND, but the quality wasn't as good as you expected when you were in 1.3 megapixel mode, you'd have three basic options other than releasing it with the flaw:

1) Have HTC (or whoever it was) remanufacture it with a different 1.3 megapixel setup that IS up to par. (cost a little $$$ but at least you're getting what you wanted)

2) Have them remanufacture it with a standard vga resolution camera (cost a little $$$ and you've got no more functionality than you had before you spent the extra $$$)

3) Just disable the resolutions above the standard vga resolution and press on with the current release dates (Cost you nothing and you're still coming out ok because ANYTHING is better than the crap that was on the 600)

Now... all that is ASSUMING that they had a problem with JUST the resolutions above 640x480. If they had problems with all resolutions on the prototypes then obviously they would HAVE to change the hardware. But I'm betting we've got a 1.3 megapixel camera in our pockets right now... I for one won't use it either way... but it would be good for bragging rights. (And another reason for some people to complain about P1)

--TechDude
    You know i think my cam takes better pics then advertised 1MP cams anyhow.
    Wow, I can't believe I've gotten this far. I have enabled the program to lock on at 1280x960 and it recalulates the estimated picture storage! But it refuses to take the picture. So it might not support it, or there might be another check or two...