Page 43 of 62 FirstFirst ... 33383940414243444546474853 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Woof
    Again I apologize for the temporary hijack of this thread.

Yunno GnR I really wonder about you. Are you in politics? I ask be cause you are playing both sides of the fence really well.

In this thread you go on and on about the legalities of what Shadowmite and others are doing with the rom hacks, and yet you post the opposite view in others. You even started one applauding his efforts.

Here are some samples.

For hacking the rom:

And you even suggest hacking of another Palm device

But then you post this here.

I just find it odd that in one thread you are the pillar of righteousness and in others just another warez junky. Pick a position. Waffling is annoying and gets you nowhere. Ask John Kerry.

And the threats are soooo puerile.

No, I am not a politician.

It appears the ignoramus that posted the "pussies" comment stepped forward. My, my. What a brave little boy! I mistook you for him (it?), but given your similar reactionary tone, this is not surprising.

Unlike the knee jerk simpletons posting from the safety of their mothers' basements, I realize the world is not black and white. I also realize that actions have consequences.

shadowmite's achievements are worthy of note and also worthy of congratulations. If you knew anything about hacking, you'd realize what he accomplished working essentially in the dark is rather impressive. His work has also raised a number of issues, including concerns re: Palm's integrity (were they ever planning to release Wi-Fi drivers?) and the level of competence of Palm's programmers.

shadowmite's work also raises several questions about how PalmOS is put together and how best to improve it. Those questions apply equally to other models like the Tungsten 5. I never "suggest[ed] hacking of another Palm device".

It seems obvious that Palm will eventually release a ROM update addressing the voice quality issue. It's also obvious that this problem affects a lot of people. How long people will have to wait for an official update is unknown. In the interim, those willing to void their warranty and use illegal software have the chance to improve their $600 phones so that they sound like $50 phones. Is hacking the ROM "wrong"? Yes. Is releasing a buggy, poorly-tested $600 phone with bad voice quality "wrong"? Yes. But only an ***** would try to pretend the ROM hacks are anything other than warez. I have no problem with using warez, but the hypocrisy rampant on Treocentral is astounding. Unlike many here, I don't ignore the warez issue when it's in my best interest to do so.

Examining all sides of an issue is not waffling. In fact intelligent individuals are usually able to convincingly argue either side of a debate. People like you who only see in black and white are responsible for a lot of the problems currently afflicting America.

Your (probable) hero, George W. Bush picked and defended his positions most admirably during the recent presidential debates, didn't he? Actually, I have never seen as tragic a performance as his from a political figure in the past 30 years. Congratulations are in order.

Perhaps when you're older, you'll understand. Probably not.
    Well i just got off the phone with sprint tech. They told me palm one & sprint is going to have a total hardware patch on Jan. 5th. so be on the lookout...
    Quote Originally Posted by michael82574
    Well i just got off the phone with sprint tech. They told me palm one & sprint is going to have a total hardware patch on Jan. 5th. so be on the lookout...
    Great news, if true.
    Can anyone else vouch?
    Global Posts
    47 Global Posts
    Followed the instructions and now phone is toast. It can't find a signal and is constantly in "Network Search". My backupman won't restore my calendar file and when I do a hot sync, it completes (sometimes) and I still have no calendar info on the phone.

Other than the obvious going to Sprint for a new phone, can anyone help?
    Quote Originally Posted by michael82574

"total hardware patch"?????
    Nanotechnology Nerd
    i300-->i330-->i500-->6700(1 wk!)-->Sprintt650-->gsm650-->HTC Universal (1 mo.)-->gsm650-->Cing8525(3wks!)-->gsm650
    Quote Originally Posted by gomezsrl
    Followed the instructions and now phone is toast. It can't find a signal and is constantly in "Network Search". My backupman won't restore my calendar file and when I do a hot sync, it completes (sometimes) and I still have no calendar info on the phone.

Other than the obvious going to Sprint for a new phone, can anyone help?

You chose to load warez onto your phone, somehow fried it and now you think Sprint should give you a new phone? Is there a warranty for stupidity? No wonder these things still cost $600.

Reflash back to the the original ROM:

http://www.shadowmite.com/Original%20650%20firm.zip

Wonder if the patch will address the memory issue or just sound quality and bt issues?
    Everex Freestyle - Casio E-105 - Palm Vx - Treo 90 - Treo 300 - Treo 600 - Treo 650 - Treo 700p -Centro
    Quote Originally Posted by Guns and Roses
    You chose to load warez onto your phone, somehow fried it and now you think Sprint should give you a new phone? Is there a warranty for stupidity? No wonder these things still cost $600.

Reflash back to the the original ROM:

http://www.shadowmite.com/Original%20650%20firm.zip

Would you please stop comparing warez to these roms. It proves your age, and intelligence. Warez is software that you do not own nor have any right to. These roms are software you already own, just modified to eliminate bugs. Under the Fair Use law, you are granted the right to reverse engineer and/or modify for the sake of improvements provided it does not invovle a hack of encrypted code (DMCA), and even that is dabateble. Look at DVDJon.

I for one am adding a ignore to Guns and Roses posts now, and would suggest everyone do the same. Such a insult to a good old band.
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowmite
    Would you please stop comparing warez to these roms. It proves your age, and intelligence. Warez is software that you do not own nor have any right to. These roms are software you already own, just modified to eliminate bugs. Under the Fair Use law, you are granted the right to reverse engineer and/or modify for the sake of improvements provided it does not invovle a hack of encrypted code (DMCA), and even that is dabateble. Look at DVDJon.

I for one am adding a ignore to Guns and Roses posts now, and would suggest everyone do the same. Such a insult to a good old band.
    Well said! How many times does someone have to ask nicely?

Agreed. Done. Tired of the troll hijacks.
    Keep up the FANTASTIC work, Sh
    Nanotechnology Nerd
    i300-->i330-->i500-->6700(1 wk!)-->Sprintt650-->gsm650-->HTC Universal (1 mo.)-->gsm650-->Cing8525(3wks!)-->gsm650
    My first Ignore since joining....and so soon! Sad.
    So where can you download the sound patch since the moderator took it off?
    Will do!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ti-maniac
    shadowmite.com

[edit: in no way does any of this high end stuff have to do with me, I am Shadowboxer, (tech-lover, tech-*****), the work is done by "shadowmite". Just wanted to clear that up in advance.
    Last edited by shadowboxer; 12/24/2004 at 11:06 AM.
    Nanotechnology Nerd

You don't own a modifed ROM and have not been given permission to modify the ROM in any way + post the results to a website for download. If you choose to do so, great for you. Just don't spread bull here claiming what you're doing is legal.

And anyone dumb enough to fry their Treos with these illegal ROMS has no right to ask Sprint/Palm for a free replacement. Wait for Palm to offer a fix if the voice issue is a problem for you.
    Hey GNR, Woof and whoever else wants to debate on legality issues. Merry Christmas!!!

I've just created a new thread JUST FOR YOU!

Click here -----> "Legality/morality debates on hacking"

Now you can stop filling up this already way to long thread with your debates. Aren't you happy!?!? (OK, so maybe it's a selfish present... but it's better than nothing right?)

--TechDude
    Last edited by TechDude; 12/24/2004 at 11:06 AM. Reason: Typo
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ti-maniac

Quote Originally Posted by shadowboxer
    xxxxxxxxxx.com

Hmmm... so the moderators removed the link saying, " Moderator Edit: The firmware has been removed, as it is palmOne's intellectual property. But at least we know they are getting close to address the issue", and now you put it back.

How bold of you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Guns and Roses
    You don't own a modifed ROM and have not been given permission to modify the ROM in any way + post the results to a website for download. If you choose to do so, great for you. Just don't spread bull here claiming what you're doing is legal.

And anyone dumb enough to fry their Treos with these illegal ROMS has no right to ask Sprint/Palm for a free replacement. Wait for Palm to offer a fix if the voice issue is a problem for you.
    Regarding ROM modification, have you heard of JackFlash and JackSprat? These programs (although not compatible with the Treo 650) allowed non-technical types such as myself to easily modify the stock ROM and customize to our liking. Brayder has been around for a pretty long time and it does not appear that Palm has had any problems with their work. Shadowmite simply has provided a service akin to JackFlash/Sprat for free.

Now the use of the "beta" voice quality patch that was "leaked" is a separate question. But ROM modification has been around for a while, in the form of shareware.
    Quote Originally Posted by acousticbiker
    Regarding ROM modification, have you heard of JackFlash and JackSprat? These programs (although not compatible with the Treo 650) allowed non-technical types such as myself to easily modify the stock ROM and customize to our liking. Brayder has been around for a pretty long time and it does not appear that Palm has had any problems with their work. Shadowmite simply has provided a service akin to JackFlash/Sprat for free.

Now the use of the "beta" voice quality patch that was "leaked" is a separate question. But ROM modification has been around for a while, in the form of shareware.

Again: