Page 41 of 62 FirstFirst ... 31363738394041424344454651 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by IzzyG
    I'm nuts.. when the patch was released several moons (days!) ago, i did not realize that I was supposed to use a SD card.. and I downlaoded it directly onto my treo 650....

it works like a charm now, no static at all...

thank heaven i didnt't fry my treo!
    Hmm, if you did, you didn't get the update, it won't work without a sd card.
    a new program called "CDMA update" was downloaded and installed from the patch.

since then it seems to be much better.. are you telling me its all my imagination??!

what did I get then???
    Global Posts
    377 Global Posts
    Brayder has offered applications useful for removing unneeded apps in ROM (JackSprat) which makes it possible to utilize this amount of memory as RAM (in the Brayder vocabolary called "Flash" memory) using JackFlash.

If this was possible it would be extreemly useful on the Treo650 which has a limited memory - espesially when using a Palm WiFi-card making it impossible to use an SD- memory card.

I have used this apps on several Palm's - most lately on my TT3. On the TT3 it frees up approx 10MB (mainly caused by removing extra languages on an international version of the TT3), not to mention that apps resided in Flash will "survive" an hard reset.

When contacting Brayder (www.brayder.com) regarding future support of the Treo650, the reply stated this was not possible from "technological reasons".

The backgroud form my question was that your costomization of the ROM possibly would free up RAM that could be utilized. ...and I'm still wondering whether Brayder is wrong stating this is impossible. An extra 5-10MB of RAM would be higly appreciated by Treo owners - wouldn't it?

Sorry for assuming you knew about the Brayder apps.
    JoranG
    Treo650 Unlocked GSM (Cust ROM 1.71/1.20 ENA w/ FAT32.prc) - TomTom Navigator v5 (Western Europe Maps)
    Quote Originally Posted by jorang
    Brayder has offered applications useful for removing unneeded apps in ROM (JackSprat) which makes it possible to utilize this amount of memory as RAM (in the Brayder vocabolary called "Flash" memory) using JackFlash.

If this was possible it would be extreemly useful on the Treo650 which has a limited memory - espesially when using a Palm WiFi-card making it impossible to use an SD- memory card.

I have used this apps on several Palm's - most lately on my TT3. On the TT3 it frees up approx 10MB (mainly caused by removing extra languages on an international version of the TT3), not to mention that apps resided in Flash will "survive" an hard reset.

When contacting Brayder (www.brayder.com) regarding future support of the Treo650, the reply stated this was not possible from "technological reasons".

The backgroud form my question was that your costomization of the ROM possibly would free up RAM that could be utilized. ...and I'm still wondering whether Brayder is wrong stating this is impossible. An extra 5-10MB of RAM would be higly appreciated by Treo owners - wouldn't it?
    All of this has been dicussed grotesquely in this thread.
    It doesn't free up RAM it does however let you put things in ROM that would otherwise use your RAM.
    Global Posts
    377 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sxtg
    All of this has been dicussed grotesquely in this thread.
    It doesn't free up RAM it does however let you put things in ROM that would otherwise use your RAM.
    sxtg - I'm really sorry for offencing you with my question. Seems like I'm having trouble expressing me - possibly because english is not my native tongue.

I was not asking whether the ROM updates makes it possible to utilize more RAM, more like whether the ROM updates possibly could make it possible for Brayder to support this device. If there is a possibility to "arrest" Brayder for stating the technological impossibility in making such an app - if it in fact is possible....
    JoranG
    Treo650 Unlocked GSM (Cust ROM 1.71/1.20 ENA w/ FAT32.prc) - TomTom Navigator v5 (Western Europe Maps)
    no offense taken
    It is possible, it's more a matter that the methods used have changed. It's possible that once he is aware of the new format and storage locations they can adapt. But since that is not opensource software there is nothing I can do to help.

---

Update, here is a newer version of the rom tool. DO NOT USE IT FOR ANYTHING OTHER THAN GIVING ME POINTERS! IT'S NOT READY TO BE USED AND WILL KILL YOUR PHONE! That being said, the two .dll files go in your windows/system directory if you didn't already have them. It's really still a alpha level app but the unzip and zip algorithms are complete now and work.

If any developers want the source, ask and you shall receive...
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by shadowmite; 12/23/2004 at 02:06 AM.
    I'm going to bed... I'll try to finish the app sometime this week in time for Christmas!
    Can anyone post a quick summary of the outgoing sound quality problem / solution? I started reading the old post, but just don't have the time to wade through 50+ pages of bits of explanation mixed with everyone's personal p*ssing matches! ;-)

In particular:
    1. Has P1 admitted to this problem? and...
    2. Are they working on a solution? Shadow, your hacks always rock and I admire your work, but personally I don't want to have to hack a $600 phone just to make it work as a phone! I'm expecting a fix from the source... anyone know if/when this will happen?

Thanks!
    Global Posts
    151 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Woof
    Shadowmite and others, my apologies for adding to the continued hijacking of this thread by the internet bar association and it's lackeys. I just couldn't not respond to this.

Enough already. Cant you read? We've got the point. I'm now expecting Ally McBeal to chime in at any minute with some dancing Palm baby comment.

Which "employee" at the law firm anyway, the janitor?

If you had bothered to read this whole thread before giving us free legal advice you would know that this subject is HARDLY under Palm's radar and has long ago been reported to slashdot and others. Palm gave the rom loader to faisal so its safe to say they know about all this.

Shadowmite is well aware of everything going on. Give it a rest. If you must continue to belabor the point OPEN ANOTHER THREAD. If you can't talk about the subject at hand, which is the hacking of the rom, please just STFU!!!

Mods my apologies for getting testy
    I just wonder how many TREO owners out there know about all of this??

IF i had to guess i dont think much... and i dont think the avergage treo owner cares..

I travel alot and notice the people that have these devices... they are not "into" the device like we are. I dont think they care about what has happened in terms of custom ROMS.

We are small potatoes in the big scheme of things....

ONe final note... lets keep all this within this thead or buried in another one..The less waves we make the better.
    If I just want to improve my phone's sound quality, which is terrible for a $600 phone, what are the steps?

Is it just using a SD card and shadowmite's instructions to replace the ROM, or do I have to mess around with my Palm backup folder?

If someone would like to give me instructions, or point me where they are, that would be great.

Thanks,
    Todd
    Quote Originally Posted by faisal
    I just wonder how many TREO owners out there know about all of this??
    IF i had to guess i dont think much... and i dont think the avergage treo owner cares..
    I travel alot and notice the people that have these devices... they are not "into" the device like we are. I dont think they care about what has happened in terms of custom ROMS.
    We are small potatoes in the big scheme of things....
    Absolutely. The 'average' phone user just cares about the phone working as a phone (a problem if sound quality is bad). The 'power' phone user knows MOST of the apps on the phone and how to use them. The 'insane' user is one that actually uses all the possible functionality the T650 has (adding additional apps and customizing the look and feel). P1 counts the first two as their base of users, and for those this phone is remarkable. What percent of the total corporate users are represented by ..... let's say ...... 10x the number on this board? What percent will ever use BT, or heard of WiFi? P1 is concerned more about the negative pubicity this type of thread would create rather than their base of T650 users finding the phone unacceptable.
    These ROM updates may not be compatible with p1's newly released BT carkit patches...maybe the updates already have this patch?

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...719#post504719
    Quote Originally Posted by acousticbiker
    These ROM updates may not be compatible with p1's newly released BT carkit patches...maybe the updates already have this patch?

I wonder if the carkit patch has the audio fix (or any other fixes)?
    Has anyone lost the use of .qcp (cdma ringtone) files with the ROM updates? I had a few ringtones I converted from MP3 that "were" working but no do not. They show up in the in the sound settings and play, however when my fone rings it goes to a default tone. Anyone else?
    Quote Originally Posted by acousticbiker

The update appears not to work with a custom rom. The question is what is it looking for? The patched DUN? Or the voice quality software update? Or the lack of certain files?

In the checker included in the update they have a function just to check the device. I will have to spend some time going threw it. They made it real easy to find once I got it extracted. The funny thing is I'll bet this patch only changes 1 or two files.
    Please, I could use the instructions too. Thanks.

I'm now on my 3rd phone and am tired of returning them.
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowmite
    The update appears not to work with a custom rom. The question is what is it looking for? The patched DUN? Or the voice quality software update? Or the lack of certain files?

In the checker included in the update they have a function just to check the device. I will have to spend some time going threw it. They made it real easy to find once I got it extracted. The funny thing is I'll bet this patch only changes 1 or two files.
    I have just the DUN installed without any custom ROMs. The update completed succesfully so we can probably rule out the patched DUN as the issue. Also the DUN is still patched after the update, I have the DUN button showing.
    Quote Originally Posted by toddbe
    If I just want to improve my phone's sound quality, which is terrible for a $600 phone, what are the steps?

Is it just using a SD card and shadowmite's instructions to replace the ROM, or do I have to mess around with my Palm backup folder?

If someone would like to give me instructions, or point me where they are, that would be great.

Thanks,
    Todd

Quote Originally Posted by imannie
    Please, I could use the instructions too. Thanks.

I'm now on my 3rd phone and am tired of returning them.

Please help us...untalented people
    Quote Originally Posted by Mahootzki
    Please help us...untalented people
    What part of the instructions are you having trouble with? Use a card reader and a PC to get the ROM on the card NOT the Palm. I'm almost confused... the instructions are very strait forward and concise, where are you getting thrown off?