Page 40 of 62 FirstFirst ... 30353637383940414243444550 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowmite
    As for the fix I am working on, it's not a new bootloader, but a method which to use a serial/usb(doubtful) cable to connect to the phones bootloader and re-flash when it won't boot. Most likely this will require everyone to build a serial cable, or send the dead phone to someone with one to get it re-flashed. This is the proper method of dealing with this, not making palm pay for our experimentation. Please keep this orderly and don't abuse it!
    LOL...

I think you over-estimate the ethical responsibility of the public at large. I'm not saying that the people here are evil, I'm just saying that most probably do not share in your vision of fair play in paying for mistakes (especially to the tune of $600 spent not even a month ago).

I like what you are doing and yet to have any problems with DUN, splash screens and this most recent and truly awesome ROM hack. I just see a lot of people are having problems with a realatively simple process which tells me they probably don't dabble in this much and still, to some degree, expect this to be a "plug and play... what do you mean I can break my phone" type of operation.

Most I would imagine are not into the new and exciting prospects of exploration but rather making thier Palm more "thiers". Just think, when the phone does break, what's easier (a) a 5 min ride to the nearest Sprint store or (b) buying materials to buiild, crimp and then compile software for a cable and complicated boot process.

Sorry for the hijack and I know I may get flamed but then again, the people who will ultimately reply to this are not the ones I speak of... its the lurker that tried, failed and said forget TC, Imma take this POS back and get a new one.
    Last edited by DigglerD; 12/22/2004 at 08:00 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by TechDude
    Sorry, I was referring to post 690 on page 35:

I thought that was what you were working on.... any idea when the new bootloader might happen? I'm pretty confident in my skills, but since Christmas is only a few days away I figured I'd just play it safe for a few days. (until after I'm done playing with my Treo accessories and such. ) But if the new boot loader isn't going to happen any time soon, then I'll probably re-ROM my Treo next week sometime.

Thanks for all the hard work... by the way... did you see my post back on page 36 about Snapper and WebPro/Blazer? I'm anxious to know if this makes any sense to you.

--TechDude
    I posted that about making our own bootloader before I started looking at palms that they already have on the phone... Or should I say HTC's. It looks like the one already on the phone is fine for our purposes afterall, it just requires a cable to link to it. Mainly, I want time to verify that we can recover mis-flashed phones via the console prompt of the bootloader.

As for replacing Blazer... I don't know. I wouldn't want to try until I get this recovery method ready to go. Then I'll be willing to try just about anything to see if it'll work. Blazer is written in ARM assembler, not 68k. So it might be hooked more into the system than we could know...
    Shadow,

I think that is Awesome that you are taking time to make sure us lay folk can overcome our mistakes.

Thanks!
    Shadowmite, what about the registered apps? Can we not register programs that write to themselves before we put them in ROM?

--TechDude
    Not yet, let me take a look...
    Thanks.....
    It depends on the program. Some apps never use a external file to store data, registration codes, etc. Others use a portion of their own file. Those program might never work in rom. But I haven't played with it much, this is all guessing at what's happening. I like to wait until I am ready to recover if I'm going to do things which I question myself. Once we can recover from mistakes, we will learn everything we need to know! It's highly possible that with the skip, romdb, and db tags that we can custom set it up for any program to run.

I just don't want to get carried away experimenting until I know I won't break it...

I hope I'm answering your questions ok. If you want the sound quality patch, go ahead and choose a update rom from my site, they are fine and verified to work.

Oops, techdude, in response to your question, that would work on some apps, but that's also a pirates technique to get a registered copy of the program, thus a lot of programs have routines to prevent that from working.
    Quote Originally Posted by haphazard
    Can anyone tell me which in-RAM files (if any) go with RealPlayer? I'm planning to install one of Shadowmite's stripped-down ROM images, after which I'll do a restore via Backupman. I want to be sure I don't include any orphaned RealPlayer items.
    I ended up doing a full restore (it was simpler), and then deleted RNWKDB.pdb using FileZ. I also deleted all of the preferences which had an ID of RNWK. It looks like that should be everything.

So far, so good!
    --
    "I'm too sexy for my code." - Awk Sed Fred
    I'm sure Sprint and Palm will start to get upset about this unless we can show some control and not use warranty replacements for user error. Please, if you are not 100% confident in your abilties, don't do it! I'm sure if a hundred treo's come in with bad rom flashes they WILL ask me to remove the flashes at my page. And that will make it hard to continue various other projects.
    I think this is right. It reminds me a lot of the Tivo Community. Tivo doesn't seem to care very much, and actually seems to be encouraging the hacking of their product. They've already made their money [same as PalmONe has], and the added interest in modifying the product increases demand for the product [or, at least it seems to me].
    Just to emphasize the "YOU MIGHT WRECK YOUR PHONE" disclaimer, I did. When fashioning my own ROM, I was careless with the zip step and my ROM was in a subfolder of the zip file. Bye bye Treo, bootloader is way angry!

I went to a Sprint store and got a new phone, but what a hassle not to mention the time I was unable to take and make calls. The above posts are right, we don't want a lot of phones like mine showing up to be refurbished and PalmOne deciding they don't want to pay $$ for our mistakes and truthfully voiding our warranties.

Even though I know what I did wrong, and I'm no dummy and a power user, I'm hesitant to try again until shadowmite figures out how to recover so I can practice safe tinkering and not stir trouble outside of my own techie aura.
    cpryce, thanks for letting us know. Seriously, if you are going to play with this, double check and triple check everything!

You know what, in order to help I will take it upon myself to write a rom customizer app... As a matter of fact, I've already started it... I'll try to have it done quickly, please try to be happy with the rom's I've provided until I have it ready to go... Now to go remember how to manipulate strings...

If you'd like to see what it looks like, here is a alpha release. It currently does nothing but browse file systems and give you a feel for how it will work. Please try to be patient with me.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    If I have time after the 23rd I'll see if I can whip something up similar for OS X.
    Quote Originally Posted by cpryce
    If I have time after the 23rd I'll see if I can whip something up similar for OS X.
    YES, please!

Regards,
    --Mathew
    Global Posts
    334 Global Posts
    just a suggestion, if you have to swap your phone out, at least charge your current one before you go in. tell them you want to keep your old battery since it is fully charged and you can at least your half of your device until it gets turned on.
    Global Posts
    377 Global Posts
    shadowmite

According to Brayder the Treo650 has a different ROM arcitecture regarding ie T5. This makes it impossible to utilize flash like they normally do with their software (according to them).

- When you apply your ROM updates wouldn't that free up memory which could be utilized - since several apps from the ordinary ROM are removed?
    - Is Brayder wrong when they state that the free ROM can be utilized as a flash memory?
    - Have I misunderstood the whole "memory thing"?
    JoranG
    Treo650 Unlocked GSM (Cust ROM 1.71/1.20 ENA w/ FAT32.prc) - TomTom Navigator v5 (Western Europe Maps)
    Quote Originally Posted by jorang
    shadowmite

According to Brayder the Treo650 has a different ROM arcitecture regarding ie T5. This makes it impossible to utilize flash like they normally do with their software (according to them).

- When you apply your ROM updates wouldn't that free up memory which could be utilized - since several apps from the ordinary ROM are removed?
    - Is Brayder wrong when they state that the free ROM can be utilized as a flash memory?
    I'm sorry, I don't understand what you are asking... What program's author said what?
    Well I have the rom customizer program unziping the base rom now, now I have to make it parse the boot.conf file... That'll be the hardest part since I'm not used to string manipulations...
    Originally Posted by jorang

I'm sorry, I don't understand what you are asking... What program's author said what?
    shadowmite, jorang is referring to a couple of programs from Brayder called JackFlash and JackSprat, which in essence worked to customize ROMs. They have stated that they do not anticipate support for the Treo 650 but maybe you would be able to pick up something from looking at their approach to ROM customization. As for his other questions, I'm not sure I understand either but I think what he's ultimately asking is whether freeing up ROM actually makes a difference in usuable RAM (is this the case only if programs are moved from RAM to ROM?)...
    Shadow,

I've always considered myself pretty computer savvy, but I must say I'm EXTREMELY impressed with what you've accomplished so far. I've created several ROMs for other people on this site, but having a user friendly application that would make it happen with just a few clicks would eliminate the nervousness that most users are experiencing. I always check and double-check my ROMs before I try installing them, but it still makes me nervous everytime I type that "ace" command .

Thanks for all the hard work, and I look forward to seeing a finished product!!
    I have to admit the only reason I didn't do it sooner was I thought it would be hard to interface zip/unzip commands into a program, but there is a free library (InfoZip) which does almost everything itself...

Mainly I need to automate the md5 hash now, and parse the boot.conf file. Once those are done the program will be ready to beta.
    I'm nuts.. when the patch was released several moons (days!) ago, i did not realize that I was supposed to use a SD card.. and I downlaoded it directly onto my treo 650....

it works like a charm now, no static at all...

thank heaven i didnt't fry my treo!