Page 38 of 62 FirstFirst ... 28333435363738394041424348 ... LastLast
  1. bsm
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowmite
    Oh my, I've been going through the bootloader a little further, it appears to have commands built in to update the bluetooth chip on the phone... 1.2 upgrade IS possible...
    Shadowmite - If you figure out how to update the 650 to BT1.2, we will have to get you knighted and call your Sir Shadowmite!

Anxiously awaiting any updates on BT1.2 and the 650!
    The ROM updates that include voice memo and notepad- are these apps free? Or do I need to have a registration code to be able to use them? Do I need to have an sd card to use voice memo? (I'm borrowing a friend's sd card to do the rom update- waiting to buy the 2gb card, so won't have sd card for few weeks). I'd like to lose the GetBC and Download and quicktour, but by choosing the ROM that does that I also loose RealPlayer and right now I haven't paid for PT or anything, so I'd be stuck without any media player unless I paid for one.
    These are from the Tungsten. No reg necessary.
    11.2 meg free!!! Up from 9.4mb and more usable stuff installed!
    FYI- Chatter appears to work better from the ROM! I'm just picking and choosing as the updates come out.
    is it possible to save voice memos to unit itself rather than to sd card??
    Quote Originally Posted by bsm
    Shadowmite - If you figure out how to update the 650 to BT1.2, we will have to get you knighted and call your Sir Shadowmite!

Anxiously awaiting any updates on BT1.2 and the 650!
    I agree with you bsm.

With BT1.2 can you listen to music through 'stereo BT headsets?' If so, this is a must have hack!!
    Make It Happen!!
    If you don't, who will?
    Quote Originally Posted by treosixoo
    I agree with you bsm.

With BT1.2 can you listen to music through 'stereo BT headsets?' If so, this is a must have hack!!
    You can listen to music with BT 1.2 only with the proper bluetooth profile present. BT 1.2 doesn't guarantee that, as companies are free to add/remove any profile of the several dozen that exist. Essentially, someone would have to program that profile in.
    Quote Originally Posted by JesseRPI
    You can listen to music with BT 1.2 only with the proper bluetooth profile present. BT 1.2 doesn't guarantee that, as companies are free to add/remove any profile of the several dozen that exist. Essentially, someone would have to program that profile in.
    So, is it at all possible with the T650 to listen to music with stereo BT headsets? Are these profiles available yet?
    Make It Happen!!
    If you don't, who will?
    Quote Originally Posted by anastrophe
    perhaps we need a new topic where all the lawyer wannabe's can chat.
    Yeah sounds good.
    Quote Originally Posted by treosixoo
    So, is it at all possible with the T650 to listen to music with stereo BT headsets? Are these profiles available yet?
    The profiles exist and are available, but are not programmed into the T650 at the moment.
    Quote Originally Posted by brutel1
    These are from the Tungsten. No reg necessary.
    Well, yes. No registration is necessary, IF you're using them on the device they came on. I doubt seriously that the license for the Tungsten software authorized copying the software and installing it on other devices.

I'm really kind of surprised Palm hasn't come down on this thread, and Shadowmite's web site, not just for distributing the ROM updater, but for distributing copyrighted code.

On the subject of copyright, the gross misunderstandings of copyright epressed in some of the posts above are highly amusing. If you really don't think that object code encapsulated in ROM is copyright protected, ask yourself why Compaq spent so much money reverse engineering the IBM PC's ROM.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb
    On the subject of copyright, the gross misunderstandings of copyright epressed in some of the posts above are highly amusing. If you really don't think that object code encapsulated in ROM is copyright protected, ask yourself why Compaq spent so much money reverse engineering the IBM PC's ROM.
    Could you please keep the legal discusssions out of the hacking thread? I have posted a note to palm at my web page informing them they have the right to ask me to take down the material, they have not done so. I would imagine they are mostly concerned with people breaking their phones. If someone provides verified working updates to keep the majority of people from "experimenting" then this is a minimal risk.

In my opinion, as well as several of their marketing personel I'm sure, this is a valuable asset to keep the techno geeks happy with palm's products.

As for the legality of re-distributing this material, lawyers can play a good game in either direction. So if you want to play "mock trial" please start a thread for it. This is not the place.
    That's easy to answer but you must understand this subject first, difficult to do in a small post. If code is protected by copyright, reverse engineering it is just as infringing as literal copying. Any derivation of copyrighted code is infringing. The reason they reverse engineered it is that their lawyers told them that the coyright is doubtful. The central principle is that anything that functions cannot be copyrighted; thus any part of software that is functional cannot be copyrighted. That pretty much eliminates software entirely, of course, but courts have difficulty coming to grips with that and still maintaining some theoretical copyright. It's sort of like squaring the circle.
    Is the only difference between the Sprint Overlay and the Original Overlay on SM's site the on/off pics? I thought I put on the Sprint one and now have the Treo screens.
    Yet another rom update.

Removes:

Realplayer
    GetBC
    Download
    Quick tour

Adds:

DUN
    Handzipper
    KB Lights .8
    Treohelper .70
    mNews v2.0
    Patched phone app (Call Duration, ## codes, Totals in the Call Log, etc)

People that want this one send me a pm, you have to own mNews though.
    In the ace-palmos.zip file, I noticed some PRCs for the MPEG decoder. Would it be possible to add other codecs (DivX, .avi. etc.) to the Pics&Vids app while we're hacking the ROM?
    Guys, please hold off on the custom rom requests. doothedeww and others may continue to build them, but I am going to wait now until I perfect the recovery method. Give me about a week, and we should be able to fix ANY phone that gets broken by a improper rom flash. I'll still be around, but I'm headed out for Christmas break now. Enjoy guys!
    Merry Christmas shadowmite!
    Global Posts
    80 Global Posts
    Could have used that about 2 days ago. HAHA Anyhow I have my new T650 and I flashed it with one of your ROMS and then I verizonized it. So far so good no problems whatsoever. I think my problem was in rezipping the ace-palmos file in that it created another subfolder that contained the original folder and thus crashed the bootloader. Oh well, it works for now.

Mo
    SloMo - agreed, that's much more likely than the MSL code mattering, but I'm going to leave the Verizon user warning up on my page... Your phone would have been fixable with the method I am now working on...