Page 36 of 62 FirstFirst ... 26313233343536373839404146 ... LastLast
    way to go!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowmite
    Oh my, I've been going through the bootloader a little further, it appears to have commands built in to update the bluetooth chip on the phone... 1.2 upgrade IS possible...
    WOW *hits reload on this thread every few minutes*
    Quote Originally Posted by sxtg
    I don't think they will release one until they figure out how to make certain the upgrades can't be extracted. That would insure this leak will have a short useful life span. JMHO
    And without extracting it we would not be able to incorporate their updates into our custom packages... is that what youre saying? I hadn't thought of that.

Shadowmite, do you have any comment on weather or not you think it's possible they could make the final ROM update un extractable?

If they can/will do that, I'm not sure I'm going to bother with the risk of braking my new toy just to (temporarily) get rid of some unused apps.

--TechDude
    There are 3 types of updates, bootloader, phone, and rom. If they release a rom update, it would overwrite our custom roms. Could we get around it? Well, everything is possible, i'd rather not mention the tactics I plan to use if/when this time comes. Most likely they will embrace our abilities to "enhance" the roms.

A phone update doesn't have to change anything other than the phones firmware. For instance this update fiasal gave us only appears to change the phone software, yet it included everything since it's a development flasher...

A bootloader update changes how the phone originally boots. We might very well write our own anyway. Have a look at http://www.handhelds.org/Compaq/bootldr.html for more info on what this can allow us to do. We may very well work on getting linux on the Treo 650...

Finally, once I perfect the method, I think I can safely say I can fix anyones phone even if a flash goes wrong...
    my comment was speculation & only meant to imply a delay in the release while they digest what has happened. Also as Shadowmite pointed out..... Where there's a will there is a way!
    Palm most likely doesn't care & even (as Shadow said) probably embraces mods. The pressure comes from carriers & 3rd party apps who pay to have their products in ROM.
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowmite
    We may very well work on getting linux on the Treo 650...

Finally, once I perfect the method, I think I can safely say I can fix anyones phone even if a flash goes wrong...
    I wish I knew more about Linux. I'm sure this would open MANY doors for all the hard core Linux programmers out there (Just look at those linksys routers now). But given the amount of time it would take for useful applications to be developed for the phone, I'm not sure I would ever load Linux... unless it were possible to dual boot the device somehow.

I suppose you could always just have different ROMS loaded on your expansion card and load them when you want to use them. If I could manage to get enough of the apps I use on an everyday basis loaded in ROM that might actually be a possibility. Of course I would lose all my contacts, appointments etc... hmm...

That train of thought reminds me of another questioin for you Shadowmite. Several post ago you mentioned that programs that try to alter their executable upon registration would not work in ROM becasue they could not write to themselves. Why couldn't we just register these apps in RAM, sync the files back over to the PC, and then used the registered files in our ROMs? Will this not work?

I may have to stop watching this thread soon... it's getting harder and harder to resist the tmeptation to play with the ROM.

BTW, if we ever get a better browser than Blazer (Web Pro 3.5?), is it possible to get rid of Blazer as well? Or is that another one of those programs that is required for boot or something?

Thanks for all your great work Shadowmite. I WISH I had your skills for just a day.... hmmm... week... can you teach me?

--TechDude
    Quote Originally Posted by sxtg
    Palm most likely doesn't care & even (as Shadow said) probably embraces mods. The pressure comes from carriers & 3rd party apps who pay to have their products in ROM.
    Yeah... you'd think that the higher ups of those companies would realize that if we dislike thier apps enough to risk damaging the product to get rid of them, then it's probably better that we don't have them on the phone. I mean we're just going to bash the program to anyone who notices it anyway.

For example:

"Hey look at my new gadget."

"Wow! Look at that screen! Look at the the keyboard... It's got Real Player?"

"Yeah. It's just some crap that Sprint puts on there. I can't get rid of it or I would."
    Now if the application weren't there in the first place RealPlayer (and Sprint) would actually save face! Sure the we might brag about Pocket Tunes instead of RealPlayer, but that's going to happen either way in this scenario, so you might as well save face right?

Besides, they paid Palm to put it in the ROM... Palm did that. Why does that mean shouldn't be allowed to take it out? Some things will just never make sense to me.

--TechDude
    "Most" people only look for something they don't already have. I would bet when the 650 market is suturated, a large majority will have RP & not PT
    And those of use who choose to use something else are not going to use it regardless of it being there or not, so what difference should it make to the people at RealPlayer if the capability exists for me to remove it?

--TechDude
    yay new phone from the sprint store and my new rom works on it. tested it b4 i left the sprint store.
    it changes the amount of $ they would pay P1 to include it... No?

Like it or not this leak has an impact! good or bad- time will tell!
    Gezzzz....I wonder what the "higher -ups are saying about all this discovery? I wonder whos head is gonna role?

IGO
    GIVE DEBBIE THE CHIMP.....GIVE DEBBIE THE CHIMP!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by idlepaw
    Same thing with this rom updater. Copying it and distributing it are copyright violations. Modifying the rom updater is a violation of 17 USC 106 (2) derivative works. Copyright violations which do not require a NDA. The long and the short of it is it is illegal. If Palm notices, they will contact the host site and have it shut down, just like Treocentral was contacted. As for the other patches, if palm doesn't care about those, then they don't care about those. But clearly they care about this particular updater.
    Little late I know...

Distributing the ROM without the consent of Palm would be illegal. However, modifying the ROM and distributing a modified ROM is not illegal. I work for Yahoo! and we have to deal with this type of stuff all the time for our game and chat clients. There is nothing Palm can do about people modifying a product they bought.

I have not read the complete EULA from Sprint (which is the only one you need be concerned about as its the only contract you enter with this device) but in a nutshell, unless it says you agree to use Sprint devices without modification then all is ok. EVEN IF it does say that, this is a Palm problem and Sprint is likely no gonna even care. If they did, they would be upset with all the CDMA hacks, non Sprint offered ringtones and just abou everything else including LED modifications. Simply there will be no repercussions from any of this, at most someone at Palm may get fired but that is way out of our hands now.

To get in trouble for this would be like getting sued by Sony because you spray painted your black TV silver.
    Ok my latest rom

Removes:

Realplayer
    GetBC
    Download
    Quick tour

Adds:

DUN
    Handzipper
    KB Lights
    Treohelper
    Patched phone app (Call Duration, ## codes, Totals in the Call Log, etc)
    Quote Originally Posted by doothedeww
    Ok my latest rom

Adds:

Patched phone app (Call Duration, ## codes, Totals in the Call Log, etc)
    For the record, that's not a patched phone app itself, but rather just the patched splash screen, correct?
    MarkEagle
    .....<a href="http://discussion.treocentral.com/tcforum/index.php?s=">TreoCentral</a> | <a href="http://discussion.visorcentral.com/vcforum/index.php?s=">VisorCentral</a> Forum Moderator - Forum Guidelines
    .....Sprint PCS Treo 650
    .....God bless America, my home sweet home...
    its the one of shadowmites site. its the stock sprint splash screens with call duration, ## codes, Totals in the Call Log, etc.

I put it in the rom so its there everytime you do a hard reset.
    I think the fact that Shadow is offering to pull the site if they send him an email, and they havent, tells me that P1 is simply enjoying the genious, UNCORPORATIZED, and most important, FREE R&D
    Last edited by sxtg; 12/21/2004 at 11:21 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by doothedeww
    its the stock sprint splash screens
    Ok, that's not the phone app.

I wanted to make sure I hadn't missed YATH (Yet Another Treo Hack)!
    MarkEagle
    .....<a href="http://discussion.treocentral.com/tcforum/index.php?s=">TreoCentral</a> | <a href="http://discussion.visorcentral.com/vcforum/index.php?s=">VisorCentral</a> Forum Moderator - Forum Guidelines
    .....Sprint PCS Treo 650
    .....God bless America, my home sweet home...
    Shadowmite is awesome! I can see him eventually loading out a dual boot Treo 650 with your choice of WinCE or PalmOS...for a nominal charge of course!