Page 35 of 62 FirstFirst ... 25303132333435363738394045 ... LastLast
    damn I was hoping for a letter. It would of made palm look like a bunch of a$$holes.
    First of all, thanks for the detailed instructions. I was wary of doing this at first, but with the instructions, was able to complete the update.

The only problem I had was with kinoma. Even after deleting the folders copied over for the update and renaming bak back to palm, kinoma could no longer find the movies on my sd card. Since I was just renaming the folder, the movies had not moved from the palm-programs-kinoma folder. I then used kinoma producer to convert another movie clip and store it to the sd card and it still could not find it on the card.

I ended up deleting kinoma from my treo and reinstalled it. And I reconverted all my movies and stored them to the sd card again. Then they showed up.

Does anyone have any ideas what may have happened, for future reference, if I choose to do another rom update?
    So I guess Shadowmite's website is in jeopardy since P1 threatened legal action upon Faisal? I would think they would want distribution channels shut-down (although I certainly hope not). Then again, it's such a sloppy company, they may not even think of this...who knows?

I still own my 650 because of these ROMS ..I would have returned if they didn't exist. They have made my 650 useable, finally. P1 needs to release a real fix like now, before their are some angry 650 recipients on Christmas day. (like someone else said). The general population certainly doesn't peruse TC.com, and if they did, they definitely wouldn't venture into ROM flashing, etc.

Wonder how long it will take P1 to step up to the plate and fix their buggy product?

I ain't holding my breath....keep hacking! It's sad we get better results out of enthusiasts rather than the company that makes the damn thing. Real sad...
    Well now that i have handzipper lite, kb lights, and treohelper on my rom i need more small programs.

Suggestions welcome, I was thinking about removing the world clock but realized that there is a alarm feature in there that I might use later.
    I would expect the leak of this rom installer to signifacantly delay the official release of any ROM upgrade.

I don't think they will release one until they figure out how to make certain the upgrades can't be extracted. That would insure this leak will have a short useful life span. JMHO
    there is one way to ensure P1 gets a rom fix out quick... keep sending back the ones that don't work right to sprint...that wil p*iss of sprint to put pressure on P1..keep exchanging till u get one that's good or until P1 fixes it!! scr*w P1 for their apathy!
    Quote Originally Posted by johnski1969
    there is one way to ensure P1 gets a rom fix out quick... keep sending back the ones that don't work right to sprint...that wil p*iss of sprint to put pressure on P1..keep exchanging till u get one that's good or until P1 fixes it!! scr*w P1 for their apathy!

Preach on! Can I get an AMEN?
    just nuked my phone do to my carelessness. SOB now i gotta go to the sprint store.

Didn't bother to check my files before running the update.
    Quote Originally Posted by faisal
    NO letter... was given to me via telephone.

This guy was pissed...big time.

They may or may not have a legal right to demand that you don't distribute the patch anymore (there are too many variables that I don't know) but they have NO right to be pissed.

1. THEY released a product with a major defect that, obviously, was not that hard for one of them to isolate and give a fix to once it was reported to them.

2. THEY decided to send the patch out without any nda, copyright notice or licensing agreement.

3. THEY sent it in such a way that it took TC types no time at all to figure out there was a wide-open RAM updater included.

4. THEY knew all about this thread. Not just from what Fiasal said, but I was emailing posts from it to P1 throughtout the process, since they were communicating with me and thanking me for all the input. Fiasal was talking all about the patch, the process and even posting parts of emails he was getting and, eventually, said well before he did it that he would send the patch to those who asked.

5. Fiasal and others (I will even take a VERY small bit of credit here, lol) may very well have saved P1's **** on this device. Just think how that overstock of Treos will grow if people find out they can't use it as a phone.

6. This whole episode shows that, despite what they may say, the testing proceedures at P1 are horrible and they really haven't been working with real consumers with this thing. I mean all it took was one REAL consumer and a P1 engineer to email for a few days and a fix was produced. Combine this with the severe miscalculation on the memory issue and other silly things like pre-orders getting put last in line behind post orders, the strange T-5 stuff like no vibrate and you can tell there are some people who are out of touch in P1-land.
    Quote Originally Posted by doothedeww
    just nuked my phone do to my carelessness. SOB now i gotta go to the sprint store.

Didn't bother to check my files before running the update.
    What did you do, help others learn what not to do... You removed something you shouldn't have?

I'm going to be working to get a custom bootloader flashed on the phone, once that's done it won't be possible to kill them with these custom roms. Until then, be careful!
    when i zipped the ace-palmos.zip I left everything in a folder by accident. din't error out when it flashed. just gives the palm one screen with no status bar.

well im off to the sprint store with my latest beta in my pocket to try on the new treo.
    Sounds like you did not kill the bootloader, but simply moved the rom file it's trying to load to a directory level it's not looking at... I'd be very interested if with a serial cable we could get the phones bootloader to revive and load another rom to the phone...

If anyone ever breaks a phone and can't get a replacement, feel free to let me know about it for experimentation... For that matter, might try it with a working phone too. Anyone have a link to mines project serial cables?
    On second thought, I went and disassembled the palm bootloader (the htc-tpl file)... It IS console capable and has upload commands as well as a array of testing abilities... We need to figure that out to fix these dead phones. I'll get on it!
    Oh my, I've been going through the bootloader a little further, it appears to have commands built in to update the bluetooth chip on the phone... 1.2 upgrade IS possible...
    Wow, not just that, this is the generic bootloader made by HTC to load WinCE phones! It's got code apperently for flashing pocket pc...
    its the power user that will get a 650 & keep it because they can hack around the deficiences, but the avg joe(the ones P1 said they r targeting ) will not find the hassle/time required to make it useable & instability of this phone worth it for $600.
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowmite
    I'm going to be working to get a custom bootloader flashed on the phone, once that's done it won't be possible to kill them with these custom roms. Until then, be careful!
    SWEET!

Oh my, I've been going through the bootloader a little further, it appears to have commands built in to update the bluetooth chip on the phone... 1.2 upgrade IS possible...
    YAY!!!
    AWESOME! It means then A2DP profile is possible after all!! Yeah...

Wow, not just that, this is the generic bootloader made by HTC to load WinCE phones! It's got code apperently for flashing pocket pc...
    ARE YOU SHIITING ME!!!!! Holy crap!

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    btw..im a glutton for punishment...will have 650 very soon...& if has ANY problems....i will be sprints biggest pain in the *ss!!
    The Treo 650 is my first Palm device, I sold my iPaq Hx4705 to get this one and shadowmite is making it worth the $$$.
    [ T650 | SPCS | DC ] FREE - Palm | Computer | PVP | iPod | PreModed XBOX | GEAR

http://h1.textamerica.com/