Page 28 of 62 FirstFirst ... 18232425262728293031323338 ... LastLast
    Brutel, i am by no means an expert on any of this, so just because i think there might be issues, doesn't mean it can't be done. I'm just not sure the progress has been made.

Treoneo, i believe someone had made a version with VM, but i can't remember who it was. I'm sorry to say i actually like versamail as it serves my purposes just fine, so i don't want to screw around with it, in case i mess something up. I'd be happy to do the work to come up with the necessary ROM file, but you would have to be the Guinea pig. I would really hate it if i screwed something of yours up.

Bujin, i found one Windows interface that worked really well for me. It is shareware, so there is a thirty day trial, but it would give you all the functionality you need for now. http://www.irnis.net/soft/acsv/ is the website, just click on the link in the first paragraph that says Advanced Checksum Verifier. it will DL and you can install and run it. Works great, and is pretty simple to figure out.

Hope that helps.
    Thank you for the offer, but I'm going to watch and wait. I never used Versamail. Started with Snapper, upgraded to the Enterprise and then started using Chatter and like the immediacy of it. If I removed programs from the ROM and don't pick up usable space, I'm just uncluttering. If the RAM/ROM was dynamic that would be another story.
    I've tried several times to update my ROM, but with no success so far. I keep getting the following error:

Comparing image with flash...
    Error code while comparing:
    expected: 0x0000
    actual: 0x000C
    ...diff
    Flashing section... Error updating:
    Partition space full
    Error (0x000C): Partition space full

Does that just mean that my image file is too large (it says it's barely over 7mb) or is there another problem?

Just so everyone knows what I'm doing... I've found a way to patch Snappermail.prc so that it is preregistered (don't worry, I have a legal copy, I'm just trying to see if I can avoid the registration problem we think exists with putting files in ROM). I've put the snappermail file in the ROM image on Shadowmite's site (the one with all the useless Sprint stuff deleted), I updated the boot.conf file (I noticed there is a boot.conf in all of the zip files in ROM... I don't have to update them all, do I?), and I reran the MD5 check. Any ideas???
    Question:

Looking at the .conf file, there are a number of files for the camera and camcorder in a section labelled [Skip]. This implies to me they don't get loaded into the ROM. Anyone know if these are actually in the original ROM as it shipped from the factory? Any guesses as to what they do or why they're skipped?

Thanks,
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Brick, I do believe there is a hard limit of 7.0MB for the rom file. Anything over that and it won't load. I have not experimented with adding files yet, so i don't know if you have to update all the boot files. I would think not, as they reference other zip files, but i could be wrong. Have you opened any of the other boot files to see what they refer to?

Dont' know about the skip, but that's a very good question. Anybody else know?
    Remember one other thing too, even if you can load a file like snapper into the ROM, what happens when there is an update with new features...do you want to have to update your ROM every time.

I would think that the best files for ROM woudl be things like Filez and others where an updated version wouldn't really help or affect much. Fill up the 7M of ROM with those files, and leave the others as RAM access.
    Filez would be good in ROM. How about Bejeweled 2? I know that there is a seperate data file.
    Can you tell me which files you deleted to get rid of the voice memo and notepad? Maybe that will free up just enough space to make it fit. As for the updates to snapper, you're probably right, but if the program works well for me now (which it does), then I'd only need to update if there were some MAJOR changes. Then it would just required reworking the ROM...
    Even though I use Chatter, Snapper would be better in the ROM for me than Versamail. Brickjr, I'm curious how you make out. The notepad and voicerec. files are near the botton of the list and named appropriately.
    Are there any other associated files, or just the main voice memo and notepad files?
    You can try increasing the compression on the Zip. I had one rom that I loaded that wouldn't fit. I increased the compression and now it works..
    It appears there are 2 files each. The notepad file and the _en file. Then removing them from the boot.conf
    There are only 4 files, 2 for notepad and 2 for VoiceMemo.

Have you removed Versamail?
    No, I'm just trying to see if Snapper will even work before I try to delete anything else. I'm a litte hesitant about deleting versamail without knowing the exact files associate with it. I tried to file a download on the internet to see exactly what's installed, but Palm wants me to pay for it, and even then it's version 2.5 instead of 3.0 so there might be changes to the installed files...
    I'm not sure how many files are associated with Versamail, but I see 2 that are "Multimail". I'm assuming they are the same program. I wouldn't remove any more than those 2 (at first)
    Quote Originally Posted by brutel1
    I'm not sure how many files are associated with Versamail, but I see 2 that are "Multimail". I'm assuming they are the same program. I wouldn't remove any more than those 2 (at first)

Cant you find out by "select group" in the file manager in Zlauncher?
    Do keep us updated on how it goes.

If you delete the versamail files and Snapper ends up not working, you can alwasy reset to an earier ROM that has Versamail. Just an thought. I think Brutel is right, the Multimail is hte VM files, and i think all hte files that begin with MM are also associated files, but they are not .prc files, so you could theoretically leave them be. I did a quick check, and it seems that all of the Versamail files together (including the MM files) would free up 443 KB of memory. Not a lot if you ask me, but memory is memory when you start with so little.
    Quote Originally Posted by SailRace
    Do keep us updated on how it goes.

If you delete the versamail files and Snapper ends up not working, you can alwasy reset to an earier ROM that has Versamail. Just an thought. I think Brutel is right, the Multimail is hte VM files, and i think all hte files that begin with MM are also associated files, but they are not .prc files, so you could theoretically leave them be. I did a quick check, and it seems that all of the Versamail files together (including the MM files) would free up 443 KB of memory. Not a lot if you ask me, but memory is memory when you start with so little.

Earlier in this thread there was mention of a MM file that is for the SD card... He found out the hard way. NO SD CARD SUPPORT
    Well, I just tried again without the notepad and voice memo files, but it still didn't work. The ace-palmos.zip file size is down to 6.94mb, but I'm getting the exact same error. I've got to head out to work right now, so I'm gonna have to wait until late tonight to mess around with it some more. Maybe someone else will make some advances while I'm gone. It seems like leaps and bounds are happening every few hours now. Talk to you guys later.
    SXTG - THANK YOU FOR THAT WARNING! EVERYONE PAY ATTENTION TO THIS ONE.

Earlier in this thread there was mention of a MM file that is for the SD card... He found out the hard way. NO SD CARD SUPPORT