Page 27 of 62 FirstFirst ... 17222324252627282930313237 ... LastLast
Results 521 to 540 of 1233
  1. #521  
    Yes a tutorial would be AWESOME.

    I just want to add some of the little tools into rom,
  2. #522  
    The way I understand it, to eliminate a program from ROM, you need to remove it from the "ace-palmos" zipped file, and remove the references from boot.conf? Conversely, you can then add prc's to the same file and add the reference "romDB=prcname" to the boot.conf?

    Is that the basics, or am I missing something huge?
  3. #523  
    Quote Originally Posted by Bujin
    The way I understand it, to eliminate a program from ROM, you need to remove it from the "ace-palmos" zipped file, and remove the references from boot.conf. Conversely, you can then add prc's to the same file and add the reference "romDB=prcname" to the boot.conf.

    Is that the basics, or am I missing something huge?
    You got it, and then recalculate the md5 sum for the new zip file...

    Keep in mind, anyone who plays with this needs to remember some programs are autorun by the system during boot. If you delete something needed to boot (system.prc as a example), you'll end up in a reset loop and a dead phone. Be VERY careful if you decide to remove something else...
  4. #524  
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowmite
    You got it, and then recalculate the md5 sum for the new zip file...
    And for the novices like me....how do ya do that?

    thanks
  5. idlepaw's Avatar
    Posts
    48 Posts
    Global Posts
    62 Global Posts
    #525  
    Just out of curiosity, when you're playing with modified rom's, can't you run them on the simulators? Just so the worst thing that'll happen is to kill the window instead of having to deal with a dead phone?
  6. #526  
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowmite
    Keep in mind, anyone who plays with this needs to remember some programs are autorun by the system during boot. If you delete something needed to boot (system.prc as a example), you'll end up in a reset loop and a dead phone. Be VERY careful if you decide to remove something else...
    Is there a way of knowing which ones? For example, I'd love to remove the Versamail files (I'm assuming that would be "Multimail.bprc" and "Multimail_enUS.oprc"); Shadow, do you think that would be dangerous?
  7. #527  
    Well, i finally sacked up and decided to try my own ROM image, and it worked beautifully. I must say i was scared when i did the reset, and was convinced that it was taking longer than normal, and thought i'd screwed the whole thing up, but when the re-establish the touch screen came up, i just about jumped i was so happy.

    Created a ROM without Real Player, Get BC, Downloads, Quick Tour, and without anything extra added. I started with Shadowmites last ROM on his site, and removed Notepad and Voice Dial, as i'll never use them. Seems to work great now.

    Thanks for all you guys for what you've done for this device.
  8. #528  
    Quote Originally Posted by SailRace
    Well, i finally sacked up and decided to try my own ROM image, and it worked beautifully. I must say i was scared when i did the reset, and was convinced that it was taking longer than normal, and thought i'd screwed the whole thing up, but when the re-establish the touch screen came up, i just about jumped i was so happy.

    Created a ROM without Real Player, Get BC, Downloads, Quick Tour, and without anything extra added. I started with Shadowmites last ROM on his site, and removed Notepad and Voice Dial, as i'll never use them. Seems to work great now.

    Thanks for all you guys for what you've done for this device.
    Feel like sharing that one? Did you notice any change in RAM with the reduction of ROM used?
  9. #529  
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowmite
    recalculate the md5 sum for the new zip file...
    Huh? How/where is this done?
    .
    .....
    MarkEagle
    .....<a href="http://discussion.treocentral.com/tcforum/index.php?s=">TreoCentral</a> | <a href="http://discussion.visorcentral.com/vcforum/index.php?s=">VisorCentral</a> Forum Moderator - Forum Guidelines
    .....Sprint PCS Treo 650
    .....God bless America, my home sweet home...
  10. #530  
    I am happy to share, but have no way of hosting. I can email if you can accept a file that is 6.5M.

    I didn't check the available ram before the udpate, and should have, but it now says that i have 23.7M total RAM. What is the normal amount?
  11. #531  
    MarkEagle, do a google search for MD5 Checksum, and there are a number of freeware and shareware MD5 Checksum verifier and calculator programs. You just need to run it on the newly zipped ace-palmos.zip and it will create a new ace-palmos.zip.md5.
  12. #532  
    Brief tutorial that is in no way 100% complete, but works for removing basic items. I have not messed with adding any, although i imagine it is a similar process, dothedeww might want to correct me if i'm wrong.:


    1) Start with a known working version of the ROM

    2) Unzip the file ace-palmos.zip to another working folder on your desktop

    3) Remove any .PRC files and any other files related to the program you are trying to delte

    4) Open up the boot.conf file in a text editor (used Word and it worked fine) and remove any db= refereces to the files you just deleted. This stops the boot file from looking for those programs, which would otherwise cause it to stick in a reset loop.

    5) Save this new boot.conf file and overwrite the old one

    6) Use archiver to re-zip the folder an name it the same ace-palmos.zip

    7) Using an MD5 checksum utility, run a checksum on the new ace-palmos.zip, and replace the ace-palmos.zip.md5 with the new file (or alternately, open the old md5 file and change the checksum value with the new value given).

    8) Copy the Palm and ROM folders to your SD card, and run the updater. If the checksum utility did not create the right totals, it will tell you so, and will no update. So don't worry you aren't totally comfortable with the MD5 utility, it gives some room to experiment.

    Follow the regular instructions to update the rom, using "rev cvt2" and "ace", then a hard reset.


    Disclaimer: I accept no responsibility if somethign you change within your system causes your Treo to stop functioing. This process has worked for me and others, but this is a powerful took, and there is ample opportunity to screw something up if you aren't careful.
  13. #533  
    Good job SailRace!!
  14. #534  
    Quote Originally Posted by Woof
    Good job SailRace!!
    ditto...THANKS...

    now I am off to F up my treo
  15. #535  
    I can't take too much credit at all, i simply duplicated what our hard working brethren (Shadow, Deww and Iron) have been already been working on.

    All thanks should go to them. And again, i will warn everybody, BE CAREFUL.
  16. #536  
    I wonder if Datebk5 can be added in (either overwrite the default or add it in). This would save about a meg. If you copy it from your backup would it still be regged?
  17. #537  
    The problem that we think exists, is that any program that verifies a registration, actually re-writes a small total each time it is started. Unless you had a completed cracked version that didn't have/need a registration (which i do not condone and would not help with), it is unlikely you can get any program that requires a registration key to start from the ROM. It will most likely lead to a reset probelm every time you try to start that program.
  18. #538  
    anyone working on a version without versamail?
  19. #539  
    Anyone have a checksum utility they prefer? I'm playing around without much luck (but then I'm not much of a DOS person and none I've found have a good Windows interface)
  20. #540  
    Quote Originally Posted by SailRace
    The problem that we think exists, is that any program that verifies a registration, actually re-writes a small total each time it is started. Unless you had a completed cracked version that didn't have/need a registration (which i do not condone and would not help with), it is unlikely you can get any program that requires a registration key to start from the ROM. It will most likely lead to a reset probelm every time you try to start that program.
    I can remember moving the older versions into ROM with JackFlash. Just a thought. Would have been nice to pick up a meg.

Posting Permissions