Page 16 of 62 FirstFirst ... 6111213141516171819202126 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Burkhardi
    If you were to pull Real Player and VersaMail off of the ROM but add Pocket Tunes and Snapper in it's place, then you would not need to put them in RAM and have more available, right?
    That's what it sounds like.
    Quote Originally Posted by bonovox
    I mean how many of us still have Earthlink, AOL an all of the other ISP software on our computers that we never use. How many of us still have all of the other bloat software that hardware vendors and licensees added to our computers still lurking around. I know when I get a new computer the first thing I do is format it to get rid of all the Dell, Gateway, etc… stuff from the computer and then load it with the stuff I want and need
    If you built your own boxes you wouldn't have that problem
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic
    AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK $the$ $Treo$ $650$'$s$ $memory$ $architecture$ $is$ $designed$ $as$ $follows$ ($as$ $described$ $by$ $euroclie$ $in$ $another$ $thread$:

Treo 650:
    NAND Flash (Total Size = 32 MB)
    Boot Code (< 1 MB)
    Compressed ROM (8 MB)
    User Data or Storage Heap (24 MB)
    Internal Volume (Not Present)

RAM (Total Size = 32MB)
    Decompressed Rom (16 MB)
    DB Cache Area (10 MB)
    Dynamic Heap (6 MB)

If you remove apps from the compressed Rom image, the compressed rom image itself should shrink in size and so will the decompressed rom in the ram. But I'm assuming the DB cache and dynamic heap are hard coded or something right? Therefore the only space to be gained would be the storage heap on the nand chip? Is this correct?1 Any comments or corrections would be appreciated! Tia...
    Yes, Can a "Palm Guru" (not self proclaimed) give us some insight please.
    TIA! Matt
    Seems to be odd in how it handles the memory... It does unload into a dynamic space, but the space doesn't seem to change at a 1:1 ratio. I can not explain exactly what's happening with the memory space yet. But I have yet to try creating a compressed rom approaching the 8 meg limit to see what happens to available mem.

I've posted another rom at my site now removing the getbc and download icons...
    If, theoretically, I were to go to Shadowmite's site and download the appropriate patch, could someone please walk me through which files I'm supposed to put on the SD card and how exactly to install them? Many thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowmite
    I've posted another rom at my site now removing the getbc and download icons...
    The link to the download doesn't seem to be working.
    I'll update the instructions at my site, I should have done that to begin with, but I wanted it left as faiscal provided it...
    Quote Originally Posted by noob
    The link to the download doesn't seem to be working.
    Sorry, I'll have it fixed in 5 minutes...
    Shadowmite:

Should I be worried. I did the procedure according to instruction and everything is perfect....but...

I have 2 megs MORE of free ram. I don't think I had anything installed that isn't there now. (I used just the SOUND patch, not removing anything)

Could I have had "junk" in my system that got flushed.. or did something go amiss.. so far everything on the phone is there and working...
    You're fine... If the update has any problems, it will tell you on the screen with a error message... If anyone ever does get a error message do NOT turn off the phone or reset it... Try again or message me or one of the other technical people here... But I doubt anyone will get an error unless you try to exceed the 8 meg limit.

All rom's I post at my site I have tried and verified working.
    I can not explain exactly what's happening with the memory space yet.
    Prelude: I am waiting for GSM T650

As a side note, if you can create a ROM that gets rid of Versa, Welcome crap, and RealPlayer AND creates additional user-available RAM, I will throw down 25 dollars to your paypal account for a GSM version of the ROM
    La Vie En Diaspora: Enfin, une émission qui raconte votre vie aux Etats-Unis

Treo 600 in December '03, Treo 650 in February '05, HTC TyTN Pro in August '06, and back to Treo 750 in January '07, find me at MyTreo.net

About me: story of the 100thMonkey
    It's not about funds! Donations are optional... Once the GSM phone comes out we'll see what we can do. We'll have to pull the files off a working GSM phone, and replace the CDMA files with them in this loader... We can do it, but it'll have to wait for now.

Hey, while I'm looking at the splash screen stuff, anyone remember how in the 600 overlay hack they restored the original files? Did they just add a overlay? Or change the jpegs in the resource... I'm trying to create a way to get the unbranded treo images back.
    Hey shadowmite, before I mirror that rom update you modified I was wondering if it contains the same file as your regular bluetooth dun patch or if you modified the new bluetooth file in the rom.
    I've patched the new file, although I never checked if there were any changes... Maybe I'll take a quick look.
    thanks for the quick reply, if i just add pocket tunes to the zip file will it work?
    Doubtful, I've only tried once so far adding new files. You'd have to add it to the boot.conf as a romdb entry (both it and the skin) and then recalculate a new md5 hash for the whole thing. I'll soon try it myself again.
    It's not about funds!
    hey man, you work your tail off as the premier hacker of T650 AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK. $You$ $deserve$ $a$ $reward$. $I$'$m$ $not$ $gonna$ $clean$ $your$ $house$ $or$ $buy$ $a$ $car$ $for$ $you$. $But$ $hell$, $I$'$d$ $like$ $to$ $express$ $my$ $appreciation$ $of$ $your$ $time$ $and$ $effort$ $and$ $hopes$ $for$ $future$ $investment$ $in$ $a$ $GSM$ $model$

If you can think of something else that you would likle as a token of thanks, I'm all ears as long as its reasonable.
    La Vie En Diaspora: Enfin, une émission qui raconte votre vie aux Etats-Unis

Treo 600 in December '03, Treo 650 in February '05, HTC TyTN Pro in August '06, and back to Treo 750 in January '07, find me at MyTreo.net

About me: story of the 100thMonkey
    All rom's I post at my site I have tried and verified working.
    Where can I find your site???

BTW, thanks for all that you are doing...
    Quote Originally Posted by Burkhardi
    If you were to pull Real Player and VersaMail off of the ROM but add Pocket Tunes and Snapper in it's place, then you would not need to put them in RAM and have more available, right?
    That's my theory!!!
    i can see this potentially getting complicated. for example, i'm one of those heretics who has no problem with versamail. perhaps it's because i've never tried <cough>overpriced<cough> snappermail, or chatter or whatever.

so i can see the potential for a heck of a big matrix of builds here, depending upon interest. 'lose bc'! 'keep versamail'! 'build in adobe reader!' etc.

unless the truly fantastic happens and an easy way to roll one's own is developed.

i can just see P1, sprint, software vendors, etc, absolutely 'spitting' bricks about this.
    Paul Theodoropoulos
    <a href=http://www.anastrophe.com>www.anastrophe.com</a>