Page 14 of 62 FirstFirst ... 491011121314151617181924 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by treoneo
    add ability to MANUALLY change the shutter/iris settings in the camer app (the camera auto adjusts for light. I'd like option to have manual control).
    The photographer in me likes how you think.
    "'Form follows function' that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    Sorry Shadow, I was getting too excited. I forgot you are actually the one doing the work! Take your time man...
    Can someone email me directions that give me baby steps in moving the new rom with dun to my card? I have a card reader and can drag the files over, but I am confused as to where to put them, and if I should unzip everything etc... I have the steps that say what to do after it is properly loaded on my card. Thanks for the help. emsdad@mac.com

P.S. Shadowmite, you are the shiznit.
    Wich files out of ace-palos.zip archive will get rid of the following?
    "Downloads" link
    "Quick Tour"
    "Get BC" assuming its just the "GetBC.prc"
    "RealPlayer" just the files with "Real" in front of it?

Its my frist Palm and I can't stand not being able to modify things I paid for.
    Just sold my iPaq Hx4705 on eBay to get me a Treo 650.
    [ T650 | SPCS | DC ] FREE - Palm | Computer | PVP | iPod | PreModed XBOX | GEAR

http://h1.textamerica.com/
    Quote Originally Posted by RWerksman
    I think a "bare bones" ROM needs created. Nothing in it besides what is absolutely required. Everything else should be extracted and offered as seperate .PRC / .PDB downloads.
    Now that's a great idea!
  6.    #266  
    I spend the day moving and there's ten pages to read when I get back!

Oh well. I removed the files from my mirror too, not because they asked (they didn't) but just out of respect for their wishes.

I don't really blame PalmOne. They were very cool about this. Faisal gave the impression that his contact knew it was being distributed, and someone else mentioned they actually talked to PalmOne people about this thread. It's probably that some higher up or some partner (Sprint? Real?) got a bug up their **** about it and they were forced to shut it down.

But I'm still happy that it's out since this is a critical patch to many people. And I'm also happy there's some hacking going on. Reminds me of when I was following TiVoCommunity.com a few years ago, watching the new hacks come out while TiVo Inc, who had a couple of employees in the forum, looked the other way as long as you didn't cross certain lines.
    shadowmite, I looked through your SOundfixed+DUN-RP-MM file and didn't know if you looked in the boot.conf file in the large zip file. It points to plenty of db references where the MM & RP files that you deleted are still listed. Just throwing that out there... there is a lot to play with. As always, thanks to everyone involved.
    Cheers,
    Shlee
    Quote Originally Posted by IRONH1
    Its my frist Palm and I can't stand not being able to modify things I paid for.
    Just sold my iPaq Hx4705 on eBay to get me a Treo 650.

WHOA! You really changed your device type huh?!

Fyi Iron, I also replied in your thread about launchers. There are options in zlauncher and other apps like "invisible" that allow you to hide apps you don't want/need in ram. Might be an easier method than trying to extract the files out of Rom!

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Quote Originally Posted by dcopperfield
    ugghh.... I didnt want to have to dig into the specifics on copywright vs. public domain... Long and short... you are fine, shadowmite... There was no NDA or agreement from palm not to alter these files... Plus, you CAN download NYtimes page and change things... just as long as you cite your source and do not attemp to PROFIT from its use...

Your lack of knowledge of US Copyright Law is staggering.

You cannot copy and publish copywritten content AT ALL, with the minor exceptions of fair use, which are quite limited in scope (say, a small excerpt for a review of a book, for example). There is no way that you can claim that PalmSource/PalmOne voided their rights by simply not telling someone not to redistribute their material.

Perhaps a read of the law for yourself is in order:

http://www.copyright.gov/title17/92chap1.html
    Highly Mobile iPhone User

Palm Pilot -> Palm Pilot Pro -> HP 620LX -> Palm VII -> Palm VIIx -> Ipaq 3270 -> Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700p - iPhone - iPhone 3G
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowmite
    So before I go on a deleting spree here, what files are Versamail? Everything with a MM at the front? And the two multimail files?

Also, I wonder if deleting BC is a good idea... The first time you run the SMS app it runs BC instead!
    Not all perhaps , MMCResults DB and MMCTemp DB are for IOTA, even though they are not in ROM, it's an example, I would look at the creator as well. Do you see a VersaMail and VersaMail_en in the ROM, or is it under MultiMail and converts?
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowmite
    Based on what I see, the CDMA/GSM difference is just flags on the phone software and obviously the modem board used/sim slot/case... This makes sense, it simplifies their design and production phases.

I'm guessing everyone has seen these before, but I hadn't... These are the original splash screen (unbranded gsm ones I think).
    I saw that with the Phone_logo hack that can work on the 650, but jacks up the ##codes. I would have been trying to repalce the Sprint Radio on/off screen with that one, but have not gotten there yet. When that is done, we can also get back our call duration info that Sprint hid. There is a 650 duration patch alrady, but I want both.

Thanks again for the hard work Shadowmite!
    Global Posts
    151 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GregV

Oh well. I removed the files from my mirror too, not because they asked (they didn't) but just out of respect for their wishes.

I don't really blame PalmOne. They were very cool about this. Faisal gave the impression that his contact knew it was being distributed, and someone else mentioned they actually talked to PalmOne people about this thread. It's probably that some higher up or some partner (Sprint? Real?) got a bug up their **** about it and they were forced to shut it down.

But I'm still happy that it's out since this is a critical patch to many people. And I'm also happy there's some hacking going on. Reminds me of when I was following TiVoCommunity.com a few years ago, watching the new hacks come out while TiVo Inc, who had a couple of employees in the forum, looked the other way as long as you didn't cross certain lines.

Greg you are on the money...

We never discussed if i could or could not post or for that matter communicate anything. That being said i was working with a really good person who probobly wasnt thinking about that issue but was more concerned about helping me and us.

When things got out of hand, and PalmOne got concerned about some potential liablity with sprintpcs i.e. lost sales, returns etc, they got contacted me and slapped my hand.

Actually the guy that called me was pretty cool about things... they werent jerks or anything bad. They are concerned about others as well as potential bad press.
    Global Posts
    151 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeTampa
    Your lack of knowledge of US Copyright Law is staggering.

You cannot copy and publish copywritten content AT ALL, with the minor exceptions of fair use, which are quite limited in scope (say, a small excerpt for a review of a book, for example). There is no way that you can claim that PalmSource/PalmOne voided their rights by simply not telling someone not to redistribute their material.

Perhaps a read of the law for yourself is in order:

http://www.copyright.gov/title17/92chap1.html

Just curious Joe,

How did the patch work for you? Or do you have one of those "perfect" phones??

thanks
    Global Posts
    151 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GregV

Greg:
    I dont know anywhere where i said my contact knew about this being distrubuted.

Did i?
    Since everything is "Sticky" this should be also, don't you think? There's a lot of interest in this thread.
    Make It Happen!!
    If you don't, who will?
    Hi,
    I'm new to this forum and a new 650 owner. Can someone email me the patch or email me a link to download it? My email address is hwood99@yahoo.com
    Thanks!
    Global Posts
    151 Global Posts
    Guys keep one thing in mind, this patch is better than the origonal rom but keep one thing in mind.

it is not perfect and it is an engineered build not final. meaning it could crash and no one will be there so support you...

There will be for sure a final build, when that comes i dont know but i am sure Palmone is working on getting it out asap
    Quote Originally Posted by faisal
    Greg:
    I dont know anywhere where i said my contact knew about this being distrubuted.

Did i?
    I don't remember you specifically say your contacts at P1 knew you were distributing the patch, but you did say they were following the thread (thus they would have known since in then thread people you were requesting the patch etc) and once the patch started getting in people's hands you were asking for feedback saying you were collecting it for your contacts @ P1 implying they knew others were using the patch. That's what I remember anyway.
    Oh, so they have internet on computers now!
    --Treo 650 unlocked/unbranded with Rogers
    Just curious Joe,

How did the patch work for you? Or do you have one of those "perfect" phones??

thanks

Seemingly perfect. No one has yet complained about the sound, even via speakerphone or BT headset, and I not only asked several people to be completely honest, citing examples from this thread, but also called the Treo from the home phone, put it next to a radio, and listened to it from another room. The phone is less than a week old; perhaps that has something to do with it?

I'm actually waiting for a BT volume fix - which is what I started reading this thread in hopes of finding (or, at least, finding that work was progressing on it).

As to the comparison to TiVo hacks - nowhere do I remember anyone discussing dispensing TiVo's copywritten code - most were concerned with putting in larger hard disks (which you have every right to do), video extraction (which would give TiVo fits, but again, which you have the right to do), and adding features like a web server (again, perfectly legal). I don't recall anyone ever, for example, ripping a beta software update and offering it up to everyone. Not that it would be practical/possible given the nature of such updates, mind you, but you get the idea.

I'm also not trying to slam Faisal et al, who likely believed/believes that he had permission to distribute the patch. However, prudence requires that you consider all possibilities in such matters. Were I in his place, I would have asked more than once if it was OK for me to give it out to what amounts to the general public. Just imagine that this update had a horrible bug that caused everyone's phone to crash and rendered it a paperweight - what would everyone's recourse be? (I know, I'd be bringing it back to Sprint as well - "Dead phone!"). But I can imagine Sprint sending lots of phones back to P1, who figures out why they all died.

My company distributes product updates as well, and sometimes in beta form. Trust me when I tell you that we don't allow people to just hand them out as they like. For one thing, we charge for them. If I were to find a customer in possesion of an ill-gotten patch, there would definately be an investigation of exactly how it got to him - for the same reasons that I and others have cited. Copyright issues aside, that patch might not have been for the version he had and could perhaps have had adverse consequences.

Anyways, in the general scheme of things, no harm, no foul. Fortunately some folks have much-improved sound and are happy, no one appears to have wasted their new 650, and no one got sued or even threatened. Just think - if we were to pursue it properly, we might even get Palm to allow TreoCentral users access to betas such as this on an official basis, with Palm accepting responsibility for toasted Treos in exchange for feedback and comments. Companies such as Palm should be falling all over themselves to accomodate willing beta testers amongst the more technically astute of their customer base who wouldn't mind testing new software for them in real-world scenarios and who won't freak when something is not 100% stable. I know that we value such customers, just as MS does with us all.

- Joe
    Highly Mobile iPhone User

Palm Pilot -> Palm Pilot Pro -> HP 620LX -> Palm VII -> Palm VIIx -> Ipaq 3270 -> Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700p - iPhone - iPhone 3G
    I could have ignored you guys.... i chose not to. I was as frustrated as all of you were. I was only trying to help.

The PayPal thing was for fun.... I didnt do this for money. But the guys who did give me money... A sincere thank you
    Faisal,
    I guess I should clarify my position, because I've been called out for my previous comment. I personally appreciate that you distributed the ROM update, and with Shadowmite's (and others, including P1) work this could be the most powerful piece of software EVER for the T650. My opinion was that you were (inadvertently?) profiting from something you may not (I'm trying to carefully choose my words here) have had explicit consent to even distribute, let alone was not your original "property" (referencing previous discussions on intellectual property).

Obviously your inentions were not so "impure" as I asumed, given your statement to make a donation for those engineers who've made this possible. I personally would caution that, as it may cause even more problems for those engineers - "organizations" have a funny way about them, and sometimes those good intentions can cause REALLY bad reactions... Just a thought..

Alternatively, I would support donating that money to Shodowmite - who has truly made unbelievable contributions to this product's functionality, or some other related cause to this specific venture - in which case I personally will make a donation too...

Hopefully I've cleared the air, and not come across as as much of a hypocrite as I did in the earlier post... If I'm still a jerk, so be it.