Page 12 of 62 FirstFirst ... 2789101112131415161722 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ericshmerick
    I called and hammered them several weeks ago about the sound quality. They acted like they had NO IDEA what I was talking about (all while they were working on the ROM update for Faisal).

I don't trust this company at all.
    That's kind of what I said earlier. I think faisal got hold of a sympathetic, capable engineer who out of the goodness of her heart and maybe to show her colleagues that it could be done, made the fix. I'll bet that once Shadowmite drills down to it, it's gonna be some simple setting of gain and/or tone. In the process, she accidentally gave faisal the keys to the kingdom, and we stand to reap the benefits.

Now, what are we learning about PalmOne from all this? First, they are a company in big trouble as of today, with their stock price falling 22%. Second, there seems to be a lot of confusion at the ol' Palm HQ. You had someone try to please a customer, and in the process she released an incredibly powerful and dangerous bit of software that was never meant to get into public hands. The "official" word from customer service is, "Sound problem? We ain't got no steenkin' sound problem!!" Third, the pattern seems to be to blame the customer. From my read of the nearly-forgotton memory thing, they goofed that up, and then said that only a miniscule number of "power users" are gonna be affected, like it's your own fault if you go over the memory limits that they cut back without telling anyone about it.

I gotta agree with eric. I don't trust them at all. I'm gonna look at the Siemens SX-66, the GSM PPC for Cingular. Can it be that much worse?
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowmite
    Guys, thanks to MoleMan, I have a permanent location to host my files that I can update freely. www.shadowmite.com will soon link there, once it's activated completely, in the meantime:
    http://www.virtualgspot.com/shadowmite
    Congrats on the site bro - If you need any more hosting help - lemme know
    Quote Originally Posted by bonovox
    You might want to check out a program called Beyond Compare at http://www.scootersoftware.com/

I use it to compare code and directory structures all the time and it does a great job. They have a free trial version.
    I might just have a look... I've been using 010 Editor... It's extremely powerful, but I haven't registered it yet... Might just put some of those donations to work! And while on that note, thank you EVERYONE regardless if you donated, donated to a charity, or to your favorite program writter by buying his programs... Thank you for supporting palm! I loved PPC, but I'm adicted to palm and want to see it thrive!
    I'm adicted to palm and want to see it thrive!
    You got that right!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by GWB

Now, what are we learning about PalmOne from all this? First, they are a company in big trouble as of today, with their stock price falling 22%.
    I think you have a fundamental misunderstanding of markets. PLMO is, even with the hit they took today, up something like 300% since beginning of year. Last time I looked, they had something like $5/share in cash and virtually NO debt. Stock price is a representation of the markets best guess of future growth. PLMO was, IMO, pegged with an unrealistic growth expectation. Some reports that came out yesterday threw cold water on that, but I think they look pretty solid. If they dip a few more bucks, I'm a buyer--and I am REALLY conservative these days (my half-baked stock picks in '00 taught me and probably a lot of you some pricey lessons

Stock price and strength of company are not locked together. A big hit in stock price is not generally a death rattle- definitely not here.
    How come before the update I had 8.7m of ram available and after it I only have 7m???

jc
    Quote Originally Posted by mc2714
    I think you have a fundamental misunderstanding of markets. PLMO is, even with the hit they took today, up something like 300% since beginning of year. Last time I looked, they had something like $5/share in cash and virtually NO debt. Stock price is a representation of the markets best guess of future growth. PLMO was, IMO, pegged with an unrealistic growth expectation. Some reports that came out yesterday threw cold water on that, but I think they look pretty solid. If they dip a few more bucks, I'm a buyer--and I am REALLY conservative these days (my half-baked stock picks in '00 taught me and probably a lot of you some pricey lessons

Stock price and strength of company are not locked together. A big hit in stock price is not generally a death rattle- definitely not here.
    hear, hear.....let's not confuse short-term speculations with long-term investments.
    It would be nice to put Note Pad and Voice Pad from the Tungsten into the ROM.....

jc
    Quote Originally Posted by mc2714

Yeah, but they still got 21 weeks of Treo inventory backlog!!

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=66649

That can't be good news, and according to the article:

In order to reduce its inventories to more normal levels, the company will have to double its market share in the smartphone market in its fourth quarter from its third quarter, wrote Needham analyst Charles Wolf in a note issued Friday.
    Imo, this is why PalmOne needs hurry up and release all these damned leaked patches formally (i.e, BT patch, NVFS patch, Wifi driver patch, sound quality patch etc) so that customers won't be hesitant about the T650 and start buying in droves...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic
    Yeah, but they still got 21 weeks of Treo inventory backlog!!
    Well, I suspect that much of that backlog is of 600s. It seems that they may have ordered a few too many before releasing the 650. Oops!

Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic
    Imo, this is why PalmOne needs hurry up and release all these damned leaked patches formally (i.e, BT patch, NVFS patch, Wifi driver patch, sound quality patch etc) so that customers won't be hesitant about the T650 and start buying in droves...
    Agreed! pa1mOne needs to quit sitting on all of the neccesities/goodies we need/want. Remember: The customer is always right.
    "'Form follows function' that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    Guys I HAVE TO POST THIS!!! Some developer at palm thinks I rule! That's why this is embedded in the os5.4 code in system.prc at offset 0x1480:

Hackers Rule!!!!
    Guys I HAVE TO POST THIS!!! Some developer at palm thinks I rule! That's why this is embedded in the os5.4 code in system.prc at offset 0x1480:

You don't need any more permission than that! Hack away!
    This is off subject, but I'll bet I could crack the GSM lock code from the CDMA phone! Look at this one!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    This is off subject, but I'll bet I could crack the GSM lock code from the CDMA phone! Look at this one!
    You have got to be the man!!!! I haven't seen the post where you would prefer donations for your work to go. Please let me know or repost here if you don't mind. I support MANY plam developers but do want to express to you directly my appreciation for your work in a way that you prefer. Directly to you or a charity of your choice. Just let me know. 'Tis the season!!!!
    Also off topic, but I wonder if the BT 1.2 update from Broadcom for the BCM2035 that's in the 650 could be applied using this uploader? Anyone know if P1 is working on a 1.2 update for us?
    Global Posts
    151 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by airjoe
    Would someone mind sending me (pm) the directions again? I downloaded the file, but figured I'd get around to the update at some point...

Oh, and I agree with the guy above who chimed in against paying for a ROM update for someone who distributed it without Palm's consent. He didn't even do the work - jeez. Flame away...

I could have ignored you guys.... i chose not to. I was as frustrated as all of you were. I was only trying to help.

The PayPal thing was for fun.... I didnt do this for money. But the guys who did give me money... A sincere thank you
    Quote Originally Posted by noob
    Also off topic, but I wonder if the BT 1.2 update from Broadcom for the BCM2035 that's in the 650 could be applied using this uploader? Anyone know if P1 is working on a 1.2 update for us?
    By all means, if you find the 1.2 update for the chip somewhere, tell me. I've been interested in that possibility since before the phone was released...

dutch, it's up to you... Check the first post at the DUN thread, or just choose a charity/programmer in need!
    Quote Originally Posted by faisal
    I could have ignored you guys.... i chose not to. I was as frustrated as all of you were. I was only trying to help.

The PayPal thing was for fun.... I didnt do this for money. But the guys who did give me money... A sincere thank you
    faisel...I didn't see your post with the paypal adress. Please PM it to me!!!!!!! Thanks for hangin it out for the treo community!!!

Haha, looks like releasing this patch this wasn't a mistake...go nuts man. P1 needs to hire you in a skinny!
    shadowmite: Have I ever told you "YOU ROCK!" Now I'm curious if the GSM 650 will be hackable to work on CDMA, or am I just being too hopeful? Yes, I know they work on different fequencies, but just imagine the possibilities...
    "'Form follows function' that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright