Page 11 of 62 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131415162161 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowmite
    I think we can make some instructions easily enough that everyone could make their own custom rom though.
    That would be awesome. To add something do you just put the prc's in the rom folder?
    I think we can make some instructions easily enough that everyone could make their own custom rom though.
    Im not sure if I would do that.

Reflashing a prebuilt image is one thing, instructions on how tinker are another.
    Well, you put them in the zip file containing everything that is to go into rom. Then you calculate the new md5 hash, and update the signature file. It's easy, but I'll have to write it up... I want to play with it to make sure it works like I think it does though.
    Well, you put them in the zip file containing everything that is to go into rom. Then you calculate the new md5 hash, and update the signature file. It's easy, but I'll have to write it up... I want to play with it to make sure it works like I think it does though.
    Where's the drool smiley?
    "'Form follows function' that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    Very cool...can't wait!!
    I really hope no one gets in trouble behind any of this. Like someone else said, you put out 600 bucks you expect to be able to at least hold a conversation on the phone. I want this phone sooooooooo bad, I've been drooling on this site since the launch of the Treo 600, but I dont have the time or the patience to put into fixing or returning something that, considering the price and business audience it is targeted for, should work properly right out the box. I understand the risks of being an early adopter on the cutting edge tho, which is why I choose to wait to purchase the phone until more bugs are ironed out. Hopefully I wont have to wait ANOTHER year. Regardless,until the major issues are resolved, I will live vicariously through the experiences of the T|C members. Wifi and Dun dont matter to me but sound quality certainly does. I applaud Shadowmite and the others who are going the extra mile, investing their time and energies into doing something they shouldnt have to do in the first place - making this product actually useable.
    idlepaw, thank you for your warning. I admit, I am not a lawyer. Are you? If the site hosting those files is asked to remove them, they will. It is not my site, it's simply acting as a helpful location to host files the Palm Hobbyist's might want. These fixes do not hurt palm's sales in any way to the end customer. In fact, most people here are happier to be able to have this choice. I sold a co-worker on the phone due to these rom patches today. I would hope palm is happy with this as such. If not, all they need to do is PM me personally and I will remove the files myself.

Furthermore, idlepaw, according to the law you quoted:

This only talks about the owner of a copyright, where does it mention the end user?
    Agreed. I returned my first 650 due to the poor outgoing sound quality. I'm seriously thinking about getting another one now that this patch is available.

I also like the idea of having a simple loader tool that will install everything that's needed and gives you the option to add any of the standard extras that you want (VersaMail, Welcome, etc.)
    Global Posts
    62 Global Posts
    idlepaw, thank you for your warning. I admit, I am not a lawyer. Are you? If the site hosting those files is asked to remove them, they will. It is not my site, it's simply acting as a helpful location to host files the Palm Hobbyist's might want. These fixes do not hurt palm's sales in any way to the end customer. In fact, most people here are happier to be able to have this choice. I sold a co-worker on the phone due to these rom patches today. I would hope palm is happy with this as such. If not, all they need to do is PM me personally and I will remove the files myself.

Furthermore, idlepaw, according to the law you quoted:

This only talks about the owner of a copyright, where does it mention the end user?
    I'm in my final year at law school. I'm doing a concentration in intellectual property, so I do know what I am talking about. Whether or not knowledge of the roms help sales is beside the point. Clearly someone at PalmOne felt that it was necessary to have them taken down from TreoCentral. Given that, PalmOne's next step is to contact the host according to the procedures in 17 USC 512(c). Your host will take them down, since they don't want to be sued either. Concurrently, they'll probably send you a nasty letter saying take it down or else. Assuming you say "ok", that will probably be the end of it.

As for end user rights, you basically have three sets of rights: 1) things that do not fall within the scope of the owner's exclusive rights, 2) rights that the owners explicitly grant you, and 3) fair use rights in 17 USC 107. Fair use is a hard issue to explain, but suffice it to say, this doesn't fall under the fair use exception.
    I just joined this thread. I have been plague by poor voice quality for a year with my treo 600. Will this patch work with the 600? After installing will it alter my rom apps? And can someone tell me how to get it? Thanks in advance.
    Quote Originally Posted by duma
    I just joined this thread. I have been plague by poor voice quality for a year with my treo 600. Will this patch work with the 600? After installing will it alter my rom apps? And can someone tell me how to get it? Thanks in advance.
    It will not
    Well, I just tried to add pocket tunes and zlauncher to the rom and it ran out of space it said! So, I think we are limited on what we change... Maybe we can't add, only delete... Let me play some more.
    dutchtrumpet:
    Thanks for clarifying. Somewhere in this thread there was somebody saying he got it to work on his 600. Must have been a typo.
    Well all the 'lawyering' aside, I think everyone should download all the files they can find before the links get taken down!

Shadowmite, your exploits keep growing to exponential heights! Would it be possible some how to integrate the wifi SD driver patch with the Rom installer in the future? On the other hand, that would be a bad idea huh?

What I really want is the ability to remove and add the apps (registered of course) that I want on the Treo's rom. Also since the Rom image is stored compressed on Nand chip and decompressed to ram, I assume a 'cleaned up' rom image with apps like versmail/real removed would occupy less space when decompressed on ram? The question I'm really trying to ask here is, where will the extra ram come from?!

AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK $the$ $Treo$ $650$'$s$ $memory$ $architecture$ $is$ $designed$ $as$ $follows$ ($as$ $described$ $by$ $euroclie$ $in$ $another$ $thread$:

Treo 650:
    NAND Flash (Total Size = 32 MB)
    Boot Code (< 1 MB)
    Compressed ROM (8 MB)
    User Data or Storage Heap (24 MB)
    Internal Volume (Not Present)

RAM (Total Size = 32MB)
    Decompressed Rom (16 MB)
    DB Cache Area (10 MB)
    Dynamic Heap (6 MB)

If you remove apps from the compressed Rom image, the compressed rom image itself should shrink in size and so will the decompressed rom in the ram. But I'm assuming the DB cache and dynamic heap are hard coded or something right? Therefore the only space to be gained would be the storage heap on the nand chip? Is this correct?1 Any comments or corrections would be appreciated! Tia...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Well, I just tried to add pocket tunes and zlauncher to the rom and it ran out of space it said! So, I think we are limited on what we change... Maybe we can't add, only delete... Let me play some more.
    The ROM on palm devices is in a seperate unalterable (in size) block. You can, however, remove certain elements such as Tour (ugh) to free up more room. I did this with Brayder Technologies' Jack(what) programs and my T3 to get many programs off my Palm (Quick Tour, Versamail, Web Pro, etc.) and put others permanently in the ROM (updated apps off a T5, Documents to Go 7, Bejeweled 2, FileZ, etc).
    I shouldn't say permanently, Jack Flash could still remove them, but they would survive a had reset. The ROM size on all palms is limited, so you have to pick and choose.
    "'Form follows function' that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    Yep, the 8 meg limit is what I was looking for... I think it's a little smaller actually... And gfunkmagic, the ram available increases a bit because the image is uncompressed during a hard reset into the memory on the device... Don't know if it's a 1:1 gain yet...
    So before I go on a deleting spree here, what files are Versamail? Everything with a MM at the front? And the two multimail files?

Also, I wonder if deleting BC is a good idea... The first time you run the SMS app it runs BC instead!
    For those of you that understand what you are doing, can you tell from the P1 patch excactly what they did/changed to improve the audio?
    Quote Originally Posted by midmofan
    For those of you that understand what you are doing, can you tell from the P1 patch excactly what they did/changed to improve the audio?
    I was gonna look at that... Just haven't done it yet... They set all the timestamp's to Dec 15th at like 2:11am... So we have to hexcompare every file related to the phone operation to find it.
    I was gonna look at that... Just haven't done it yet... They set all the timestamp's to Dec 15th at like 2:11am... So we have to hexcompare every file related to the phone operation to find it.
    Gee, that sounds like it'd be a blast. ::rolls eyes::
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    You might want to check out a program called Beyond Compare at http://www.scootersoftware.com/

I use it to compare code and directory structures all the time and it does a great job. They have a free trial version.