Page 10 of 62 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314152060 ... LastLast
    Has anyone figured out if there is a possibility that one of the files in the ace-palmos zip file controls volume? Wouldn't that be sweeeeeeeeeeeeet?

Bryan
    Global Posts
    62 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dcopperfield
    Shadowmite- You do not need permission from palm or any one person to modify these files. The internet is public domain and the files you are modifying are for "experimental use"
    Actually, you do. The original software is PalmOne's copyrighted software. Making any modifications to it would create derivative works, which would require PalmOne's explicit permission. You're internet/public domain argument is ridiculous. If it were true, then you would be able to go to www.nytimes.com, copy everything, and distribute it yourself. I guarantee you that you'd be sued before you can say "screwed". Also, there is no experimental use exception for copyrights. You're thinking patent law.

Shadowmite, I'd suggest you take down your site before PalmOne's legal team gets in touch with you. You really don't want the hassle.
    what is this one? The ROM update with Bluetooth patch pre-loaded

Is the bluetooth patch the DUN patch? or something totally different?
    Quote Originally Posted by michael82574
    what is this one? The ROM update with Bluetooth patch pre-loaded

Is the bluetooth patch the DUN patch? or something totally different?
    it is the dun patch....

thanks shadow
    Quote Originally Posted by idlepaw
    Actually, you do. The original software is PalmOne's copyrighted software. Making any modifications to it would create derivative works, which would require PalmOne's explicit permission. You're internet/public domain argument is ridiculous. If it were true, then you would be able to go to www.nytimes.com, copy everything, and distribute it yourself. I guarantee you that you'd be sued before you can say "screwed". Also, there is no experimental use exception for copyrights. You're thinking patent law.

Shadowmite, I'd suggest you take down your site before PalmOne's legal team gets in touch with you. You really don't want the hassle.
    Well, every site that mentions and links to the WiFi drivers, DUN hack, the voice patch, etc, should all be sent a cease and desist letter from P1.

Blah. P1 released the software to a member of this forum. They opened the door for hackers. If they didn't see this coming, they are complete idiots. I'm not saying I support hacking this ROM loader (or Bluetooth, or WiFi) but P1 needs to secure their software a little better if they are going to go after everyone who understands how to hack their software.

The internet spreads things like this instantly. Legal or not, P1 knows this and needs better security if they don't approve of tinkering with their software. ESPECIALLY if they send a program as powerful as this to a businessman that is an active member on a Treo enthusiast site!!@#
    ugghh.... I didnt want to have to dig into the specifics on copywright vs. public domain... Long and short... you are fine, shadowmite... There was no NDA or agreement from palm not to alter these files... Plus, you CAN download NYtimes page and change things... just as long as you cite your source and do not attemp to PROFIT from its use...

Carry on, shadowmite....
    Can anyone tell me if this patch fixes the mute issue with bluetooth headsets?
    sadly, I put the patch ini successfully, and everyone complains about the same choppiness--anyone else find their phone unchanged by going through the procedure?

Randy
    OK...So I finally decided to voice my opinion to PalmOne. I called their Tech Support and told them everything that has been going on. The woman I guess has heard of this problem. I stressed the importance to her on this issue because there are a lot of unhappy customers out there (some of which like myself, are almost ready to return the phone). After finally getting it into her head how important this is, she said she was going to escalate it to a supervisor. At this time I requested to talk to a supervisor, but they are all in a meeting. I am going to be calling them back every chance I get to get updates. Hopefully they won't look over this issue and I will be able to get above the tech supports heads.

Just thought I should throw my $.02 at PalmOne and let them know that they need to address this issue....

Bryan
    Quote Originally Posted by MadlyAlive
    OK...So I finally decided to voice my opinion to PalmOne. I called their Tech Support and told them everything that has been going on. The woman I guess has heard of this problem. I stressed the importance to her on this issue because there are a lot of unhappy customers out there (some of which like myself, are almost ready to return the phone). After finally getting it into her head how important this is, she said she was going to escalate it to a supervisor. At this time I requested to talk to a supervisor, but they are all in a meeting. I am going to be calling them back every chance I get to get updates. Hopefully they won't look over this issue and I will be able to get above the tech supports heads.

Just thought I should throw my $.02 at PalmOne and let them know that they need to address this issue....

Bryan
    I called and hammered them several weeks ago about the sound quality. They acted like they had NO IDEA what I was talking about (all while they were working on the ROM update for Faisal).

I don't trust this company at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowmite
    Guys, thanks to MoleMan, I have a permanent location to host my files that I can update freely. www.shadowmite.com will soon link there, once it's activated completely, in the meantime:
    http://www.virtualgspot.com/shadowmite
    Keep up the awesome work!
    Global Posts
    62 Global Posts
    Faisal is fine unless he signed an NDA. Copying the NYTimes and redistributing, however, it is a violation of 17 USC 106 (1) reproduction and (3) distribution. It doesn't matter if you cite it, it doesn't matter if it's not for sale. If you copy someone's software, cite the original creator, and give it away for free, you're just making it that much easier for them to prove copyright violations.

Same thing with this rom updater. Copying it and distributing it are copyright violations. Modifying the rom updater is a violation of 17 USC 106 (2) derivative works. Copyright violations which do not require a NDA. The long and the short of it is it is illegal. If Palm notices, they will contact the host site and have it shut down, just like Treocentral was contacted. As for the other patches, if palm doesn't care about those, then they don't care about those. But clearly they care about this particular updater.

Look, this is just a friendly warning. I'm not going to spend my time debating with people who clearly don't understand copyright laws. Do as you wish.
    I think a "bare bones" ROM needs created. Nothing in it besides what is absolutely required. Everything else should be extracted and offered as seperate .PRC / .PDB downloads.
    Quote Originally Posted by idlepaw
    Look, this is just a friendly warning. I'm not going to spend my time debating with people who clearly don't understand copyright laws. Do as you wish.
    idlepaw, thank you for your warning. I admit, I am not a lawyer. Are you? If the site hosting those files is asked to remove them, they will. It is not my site, it's simply acting as a helpful location to host files the Palm Hobbyist's might want. These fixes do not hurt palm's sales in any way to the end customer. In fact, most people here are happier to be able to have this choice. I sold a co-worker on the phone due to these rom patches today. I would hope palm is happy with this as such. If not, all they need to do is PM me personally and I will remove the files myself.

Furthermore, idlepaw, according to the law you quoted:
    Subject to sections 107 through 121, the owner of a copyright under this title has the exclusive rights to do and to authorize any of the following:
    This only talks about the owner of a copyright, where does it mention the end user?
    Quote Originally Posted by RWerksman
    I think a "bare bones" ROM needs created. Nothing in it besides what is absolutely required. Everything else should be extracted and offered as seperate .PRC / .PDB downloads.
    Holy ****, I just found this thread. This is the best idea, but can anyone tell me whether the loader can be used to install other programs? Like an ultra-customized Jack Flash? I would be in Treo heaven, if I had one.
    "'Form follows function' that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    shadowmite...any chance you could alter the patch to have snappermail and pockettunes built in instead of versamail and real????
    Nope, not without those companies permission. I feel legally correct in removing apps. But not adding them unless I am given permission by the author.
    Nope, not without those companies permission. I feel legally correct in removing apps. But not adding them unless I am given permission by the author.
    I understand...for the record I am a registered user of those apps.

thanks for all your work!!!! I hope it's fun for you
    How about removing everything possible?
    I think we can make some instructions easily enough that everyone could make their own custom rom though.