1.    #1  
    I Attended the Chicago Roadshow for " Our Best customers & Decision Makers" on Nov. 9th & Yes once I got to the show they told us that VC was not a store and might not be the fastest way to get the 650, But I ordered a 650 GSM that evening. Its now Dec. 16th and I've received word that the GSM's wont be shipped till possibly February! Thats Nearly 4 Months. Anyone Else think that this is Absurd. every time I have ever attended a Roll out/Preview show for tech. products the attendies have been afforded the opportunity to receive the product prior to general release, this gave the providor a good beta test group to find problems prior to shipping thousands or millions of units to the general public. If the unit had been available AT the show I would have been more than happy to pay full price.

PS: I Dont blame poor Jeff or VC they are at the mercy of Palmone..

Note: Sprint is not an Option for Us ( No usable service in Our area)
    Agree that the RS Order situation was not handled very well. The vendors (one of them anyway) that I have talked to are pretty PO'ed about it as well since they cant sell their stuff until people get the phones.

GSM issue is a bit different since that depends on when ANY GSM units will be available. I recall P1 at the RS they said they thought the GSMs would be out by Jan. but they gave no firm dates on anything. Big question will be if VC will get the GSMs at the same time as everybody else or not. The Feb date makes it sound like they won't and it will be similar to the Sprint phones. VC orders get filled about a month after the phone makes its first appearance elsewhere
    Hey Barney! I was also at the roadshow and I specifically recalled that several of the palmone reps said that if you wanted a Treo fast, then VC was probably not the way to go...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic
    Hey Barney! I was also at the roadshow and I specifically recalled that several of the palmone reps said that if you wanted a Treo fast, then VC was probably not the way to go...
    Your Right AFTER we had already spents the hours in traffic away from the office to attend the show they told us that VC was not a store and might not be the fastest way to get the 650..
    Quote Originally Posted by Barney
    Your Right AFTER we had already spents the hours in traffic away from the office to attend the show they told us that VC was not a store and might not be the fastest way to get the 650..
    They also said that at the roadshows prior to chicago and that information was very public.
    Quote Originally Posted by dutchtrumpet
    They also said that at the roadshows prior to chicago and that information was very public.

They did not! Not in Boston at least, and I follow these boards reasonably well and this info did not come out until late....Null at this point.

No question, the road show was a disaster. I cannot wait to tell them at next years! LOL.

-rob
    Neopoint 1000, I300, Treo 300, i330, Toshiba 2032, Treo 600, T608/UX50, I500,Treo 600, G1000, Treo 650, PPC-6600, PPC-6700, Treo 650, Blackberry 7250, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, PPC-6800, 700wx, Motorola Q9c, Sprint Touch, Sprint ACE, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro, 800w, Touch Diamond, 800w, Treo Pro, Palm Pre, HTC Hero, Palm Pre, EVO 4G warm2.2
    Quote Originally Posted by robber
    They did not! Not in Boston at least, and I follow these boards reasonably well and this info did not come out until late....Null at this point.

No question, the road show was a disaster. I cannot wait to tell them at next years! LOL.

-rob
    You are incorrect. I was at the Dallas show where we were told that VC was not a store and would be slow. This was posted several times here before the later shows. I don't disagree that it wasn't the best way to handle it. The information however was available that it would be slower than regular consumer channels.
    Quote Originally Posted by dutchtrumpet
    You are incorrect. I was at the Dallas show where we were told that VC was not a store and would be slow. This was posted several times here before the later shows. I don't disagree that it wasn't the best way to handle it. The information however was available that it would be slower than regular consumer channels.
    Lets assume you are correct, even though they mentioned nothing of this in Boston.

The point is that no one really had an issue when sprint began shipping. A week later still no one really had an isse. Two weeks later we had some issues, 3 weeks later there was 200+ posts with pissed people.

There is a difference between slow and what we are experiencing now. And the biggest thing is that P1 knew these time frames and did nothing more than drop hints about "not being a store".

They should have just said 2005, Treocentral would have saved a bunch of bandwidth!

-rob
    Neopoint 1000, I300, Treo 300, i330, Toshiba 2032, Treo 600, T608/UX50, I500,Treo 600, G1000, Treo 650, PPC-6600, PPC-6700, Treo 650, Blackberry 7250, Treo 700wx, Motorola Q, PPC-6800, 700wx, Motorola Q9c, Sprint Touch, Sprint ACE, 700wx, 800w, Touch Pro, 800w, Touch Diamond, 800w, Treo Pro, Palm Pre, HTC Hero, Palm Pre, EVO 4G warm2.2
    Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic
    After talking with some of the PalmOne Reps at the Roadshow and asking them about the ship times, they definitely said that VC wasn't the way to go to get a Treo 650 as fast as possible... this was at the NYC show. Jeff said the unit should be shipping in 2-4 weeks, today being the last day in the 4 weeks for me. I myself haven't received any e-mail updates of any sort, so I'm crossing my fingers that since I did a purchase that my order won't be arriving in February, based on an e-mail that some people received. Hopefully that e-mail was in reference to the demo units.

While I agree that it was mentioned that VC wasn't the fastest route to take, there IS something I would consider to be a resonable amount of time within which to expect delivery. If you ordered a GSM version, while you may have been told that the units *should* start shipping by a certain time, this is MUCH less reliable. You can't truely set the clock on delivery until you know that the units have been made generally available. This is with any new product.

As for the demo units, who knows? If an order was for a CDMA demo unit and it was said to ship within 2-4 weeks as well, I would expect it to ship within the said time period, or at least close to it. Demos, like the GSM units, I would expect are much harder to approximate considering that PalmOne is out to make money, has a limited supply, and needs to wait until all outstanding orders are fulfilled.

If, on the other hand, you were sent an e-mail in November saying 2-4 weeks for delivery and are then told that you won't receive anything until mid FEBRUARY, I feel that this period of time is unreasonable and people should be allowed to cancel their orders. Two months beyond the initial said timeframe I feel is unreasonable.
    Quote Originally Posted by robber

-rob
    I was at the boston show, they most assuredly said VC was not a store, and that if you're looking to get one fast you should order direct. Infact, as I recall they said this at least twice during the morning show (once at the begining, and once at the end).
    Quote Originally Posted by jwsh
    I was at the boston show, they most assuredly said VC was not a store, and that if you're looking to get one fast you should order direct. Infact, as I recall they said this at least twice during the morning show (once at the begining, and once at the end).
    Lets assume you are correct, even though they mentioned nothing of this in the pm Boston show.

The point is that no one really had an issue when sprint began shipping. A week later still no one really had an isse. Two weeks later we had some issues, 3 weeks later there was 200+ posts with pissed people.

There is a difference between slow and what we are experiencing now. And the biggest thing is that P1 knew these time frames and did nothing more than drop hints about "not being a store".

They should have just said 2005, Treocentral would have saved a bunch of bandwidth!

-rob
  12.    #12  
    Thank You Rob , You Understand My frustration..
    Barney
    Global Posts
    201 Global Posts
    let's assume the shipping thing has been a debacle - you're still getting a significant discount that not many others are getting unless they happen to be new users, or gsm folks moving to sprint. so the only thing that should be keeping you in this line is the promise of the discount. otherwise, you could call up jeff and company, cancel your order, and have a 650 in yours hands as early as tomorrow via your neighborhood sprint store. i understand the frustration - i just don't understand the wasted energy. clearly this isn't happening soon enough for a lot of people - choice seems to be real simple to me...leave the line and spend the extra $250 to get it now.
    1st SFG (A)

if at first you don't succeed - RELOAD!
    I also understand the frustration, but I have to say that the main reason I went to the Road Show was not to get one of the first units off hte assembly line, but to get the reduced proce. The fact that I could also try out some solutions that would help my company was really just, to me anyway, icing on the cake.

Let's face it, for spending some time listening to a presentation, and asking questions we wanted answered anyway, we got a 50% discount on one of the hottest new gadgets out there. (And I mean there truly since it isn't here in my hand yet)

I was also at the Chicago show. I also remember them saying that VC was not the fastest way to get it. I hoped that it would be sooner, but to save $350 or so, I can't complain too much.

Also, I remember that at the Roadshow, the PalmOne reps (all that I talked to, anyway, but especially the main presenter) said that they could not guarantee when any of the companies handsets would be going out. The point was specifically made that there was a huge difference between PalmOne releasing ship dates for PDA's and cell phones. My impression was that the PalmOne people were pretty frustrated also since the ultimate release date was beyond their control, since the phone companies take the units and conduct their own tests. This was confirmed to me both by the 3rd party people I've dealt with and my Cingular rep, who told me Cingular does not certify a phone to use with the network until they themselves have put the handset through 400 hours of testing after they get it.

None of that lessens the frustration you (and I) feel, but as I said above, I'm really just happy that I only have to pay $350 with no contract. I couldn't justify paying $700 for a new screen and BT, but I can for $350, and that is the choice I made. I have to live with it.

I also have not gotten any email updates lately, which is getting me a little nervous. For now, I guess the main thing I can do is lurk here at TC and keep getting pointers for the long-awaited day that I do finally get my 650.
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by 1SFG
    let's assume the shipping thing has been a debacle - you're still getting a significant discount that not many others are getting unless they happen to be new users, or gsm folks moving to sprint. so the only thing that should be keeping you in this line is the promise of the discount. otherwise, you could call up jeff and company, cancel your order, and have a 650 in yours hands as early as tomorrow via your neighborhood sprint store. i understand the frustration - i just don't understand the wasted energy. clearly this isn't happening soon enough for a lot of people - choice seems to be real simple to me...leave the line and spend the extra $250 to get it now.
    I Agree with You and If we had Usable Sprint service in our Area (Its here but your better off with two cans and a String, in our immediate area Cingular & Nextel Rule) I would have purchased one at FULL price as soon as they were available. Which is what I plan on doing as soon as Cingular has them available.
    Quote Originally Posted by JJRad
    I

I also have not gotten any email updates lately, which is getting me a little nervous. For now, I guess the main thing I can do is lurk here at TC and keep getting pointers for the long-awaited day that I do finally get my 650.

FWIW i stopped getting email updates after the billing email. no ship date email or anything. I emailed peter asking for more info and got no response BUT my 650 arrived on the 14th! Thy had billed my card on the 9th. So no news is not necesarrlily bad news.
    I understand that VC isnt a store and they mentioned that if you want to get the 650 sooner, don't use VC but still, 4+ weeks already is as slow as it gets especially when all CDMA 650's were given 2-4 weeks to be delivered. Its slow like they warned us but this is a different level of taking a long time.
    DAK
    Doug Kaplan
    Global Posts
    244 Global Posts
    Customer Service is hell, you can't please everyone. . you can't always get what you want.

You are getting a substantial discount off of retail price, did you think you were also going to be the first in line for shipping?
    It doesn't work that way, you are getting a discount so the priority for filling your order is lower than those who are paying full price.
    They didn't ask you to be in a beta test group, they did offer you a great price in exchange for some of your time.

How someone can complain they are waiting for the GSM model too long, when it's not even on the market yet?

Everyone knew Sprint was the first release of the unit, with the GSM model following well behind the CDMA version.

Quit whining, they are giving you 50% off.