Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    http://www.treocentral.com/content/Stories/501-1.htm
    Sprint and Nextel have agreed to merge in $35 billion deal that would create the nation's third largest wireless service provider. The new company will be called Sprint Nextel.

With this merger, Sprint will get access to Nextel's customer base of largely business customers. Over the next couple of years, Sprint Nextel plans to migrate the existing Nextel services, including push to talk service, to Sprintís CDMA EV-DO network. Since Nextel's iDEN and Sprint's CDMA technology are incompatible, all current Nextel customers will need to get new phones.

palmOne needs to make a significant effort to get Sprint's Push-to-Talk service, ReadyLink, working on the Treo. In the UK, Orange is already offering a PTT solution for the Treo 600 based on software from Kodiak Networks.

With a strong PTT solution on the Treo, palmOne will be able to attract the influx of former Nextel customers.

OK; SO WHAT ABOUT THE CDMA MODELS????? NO HOPE FOR PTT ON CDMA?
    Kodiak netoworks has a PTT client for the Treo that is supported by Orange. It's probable that this could also work on CDMA Treos....

However, I'm more interested if a palmOS version of Skype could be developed!

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic
    Kodiak netoworks has a PTT client for the Treo that is supported by Orange. It's probable that this could also work on CDMA Treos....

However, I'm more interested if a palmOS version of Skype could be developed!
    What is Skype? ( was just reading up on old post and saw this one)
    I have a lot to say but I dont want to get banned...AGAIN!!
    Skype is a free internet base telephone service. You can use it with Windows, Linux, PPC, and MAC but not yet with Palm OS. It's pretty cool....free from computer to computer or pda to pda but not free if you are calling a mobile phone (without Windows PPC version) and regular land lines (but still very cheap).
    Quote Originally Posted by John_JHF1
    Skype is a free internet base telephone service. You can use it with Windows, Linux, PPC, and MAC but not yet with Palm OS. It's pretty cool....free from computer to computer or pda to pda but not free if you are calling a mobile phone (without Windows PPC version) and regular land lines (but still very cheap).
    Actaully Skype is a P2P based VoIP program that is available on other mobile based platforms including PPC:

http://skype.com/

It was developed by the same people who created Kazaa and is based on the same P2P-like technology for the purposes of making VoIP calls. This would be a killer feature for a mobile device like the Treo imo...alas I doubt WAN based devices like the Treo have the bandwidth necessary for VoIP...another reason to rue that the Treo doesn't have wifi...

Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Sure they do...

If you can listen to Shoutcast, you can do VOIP. VOIP takes less bandwidth than streaming music due to the fact that speech is not constant like music is.
    Highly Mobile iPhone User

Palm Pilot -> Palm Pilot Pro -> HP 620LX -> Palm VII -> Palm VIIx -> Ipaq 3270 -> Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700p - iPhone - iPhone 3G
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeTampa
    Sure they do...

If you can listen to Shoutcast, you can do VOIP. VOIP takes less bandwidth than streaming music due to the fact that speech is not constant like music is.

Sorry it's not as simple as that... It also depends on the uplink and downlink as well. FYI, Sprint's implementation of 1xrtt uplink is different from Verizon and etc and that will definitely affect the feasibilty of using apps like VoIP on the Treo...

VOIP takes less than 26kbps on average - I seriously doubt that the carriers have limited uploads that severely.

Palm Pilot -> Palm Pilot Pro -> HP 620LX -> Palm VII -> Palm VIIx -> Ipaq 3270 -> Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700p - iPhone - iPhone 3G
    Global Posts
    916 Global Posts
    Siemens has introduced several cordless phones that use Skype via a USB adapter that plugs into your PC. They aren't available in the US yet but will be in time I'm sure.

I think ultimately Skype (or a variant) is going to completely replace our current phone systems. Time will tell...
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeTampa
    VOIP takes less than 26kbps on average - I seriously doubt that the carriers have limited uploads that severely.
    Actually I work for an ISP that also does VOIP, we only use between 9kbps-14kbps on avarage. The Vision service should be enough to get this to work. Just my 2 cents.
    I think that the question is not one of *if* the treo 650 can be updated to PTT. I'm sure it can. I think the question is *whether* it will be updated to PTT. Sprint has a track record of not updating phones to support new features that they add to the network, even if the phones could do it. For example, when they added "real" SMS to the network, I don't think that they went back and provided an update for any existing phones to allow SMS, even though I think the majority of the recent phones out there could have been updated. Instead, they introduced a whole bunch of new phones with the feature, and made the existing, relatively recent phones "obsolete" by not providing what probably was a pretty simple update. It's not a bad marketing/sales strategy, but it's irritating to customers who had just bought a brand new phone a few months before SMS was introduced! (One of my good friends was caught by this)

Now, I could be wrong. Particularly with PTT, if businesses start clamoring for it, Sprint may do it. But I'd expect it's more likely that you won't see it until the Treo 700 or whatever's next in line.
  12.    #12  
    I'm curious; the side of the treo 650 (left) has a button under the volume settings button. You can assign this button for shortcuts; would it be possible to use it for PTT? Has anyone seen the innards of the Treo 650 to see if the same technology is in there as the other sprint ptt phones?
    Last edited by davetheone; 01/01/2005 at 03:45 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by elbombillo2
    Actually I work for an ISP that also does VOIP, we only use between 9kbps-14kbps on avarage. The Vision service should be enough to get this to work. Just my 2 cents.
    I would have thought that the limiting factor would actually be latency rather than bandwidth. My Treo 600 has a 0.8 sec roundtrip time when pinging yahoo.com. I'm not sure whether it would be possible to have a smooth conversation with that kind of latency in the network.

PTT may be quite doable though...

KalemSoft is apparently beta testing a PTT client for the Treo: http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...&highlight=PTT
    Last edited by mjw; 01/01/2005 at 03:45 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by elbombillo2
    Wow, dude...your company must suck. You could probably do a little less than 64kbps, but it's really gonna start to degrade below that point. Packet8 uses 64kbps and Vonage uses 128kbps for comparison. What company do you work for elbombillo??

Quote Originally Posted by mjw
    I would have thought that the limiting factor would actually be latency rather than bandwidth. My Treo 600 has a 0.8 sec roundtrip time when pinging yahoo.com. I'm not sure whether it would be possible to have a smooth conversation with that kind of latency in the network.

PTT may be quite doable though...

KalemSoft is apparently beta testing a PTT client for the Treo: http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...&highlight=PTT
    The two limiting factors for getting VoIP on the Treo are (1) waking the Treo up for an incoming call...someone suggested tying the incoming calls into sms somehow, but I'm not really sure if someone is going to even attempt to do that or just wait for cobalt to arrive (anybody seen it, by the way? i've been hearing it's just around the corner for quite a while) and (2) the latency on the sprint network, as mjw stated, would be a real drag for conversations...probably as much of a drag as ready link on sprint's phones that actually support it.
    I dont wish to talk about the company i work for. Sorry I ment to say 9-14 KBps and the voice packets take preference on our network over data packets. I have it at home(its free for me) and it works like your standard phone line.
    I tested the speed of the sprint vision service over the usb connection and I get a Steady 12KB-15KB up and down on the network.
    PTT seems to be built into the phone app on the sprint 650 already... I haven't looked into it much, but it might be very possible that the 650 will eventually support this.
    And, lest we forget, the 600 got SMS when Sprint finally rolled it out.

I also think Sprint's data speed should be enough for Skype. Remember, it scales quality based on available bandwidth too. Skype is that last piece of the overall puzzle for me to be able to completely rely on my Treo. I would be able to make international calls from anywhere where I have a data connection, and with a wifi card I would be able to make calls anywhere in the world where I can hook up to WiFi. I can already do this with a cheap Axim, I see no reason why this wouldn't be possible on a 650...
    if orange could implement PTT on t600.. its a no brainer for t650...
    duh...
    Quote Originally Posted by johnski1969
    if orange could implement PTT on t600.. its a no brainer for t650...
    duh...

I agree, I dion't seem why it should be a problem. All it will take is someone with the knowledge and the motivation to do it.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast