Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    I have always used backupbuddy vfs on the 600 and loved that you could choose to restore just certain files or a full restore. It seems like backupman is an all or nothing restore, is that right?
    Quote Originally Posted by MileHighTreo
    I have always used backupbuddy vfs on the 600 and loved that you could choose to restore just certain files or a full restore. It seems like backupman is an all or nothing restore, is that right?
    No, you can save multiple backup sets and restore individual files from them. I used to use BackupBuddy and the only thing BackupMan does not have is a PC/HotSync conduit. However, it doesn't sound like BlueNomad is going to fix BackupBuddy for a while.
    Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    Latest beta of BackupMan doesn't work for me on my 650. I'm a registered user and it worked fine on the Treo 600. I get the out of memory error, even though I have 5 MB free on my Treo 650 and 800 MB free on the SD card. Over the last two weeks only one scheduled backup successfully completed.

Just installed the trial of Right Backup and it seems to have worked fine. At least, I got no errors and I was able to successfully restore some files.
    Global Posts
    536 Global Posts
    For the moment I'm using TealBackup and its doing the job. Even thou I get the 'shim.log' error jus simply add that file to the ignore list and your fine. Tealbackup has already saved me a few times so to me its well worth it thus far. As the rest (ex. Backupman and Backupbuddy) don't work at all.
    Botzam Backup is awesome! I had someglitches when I bought it for the 650, but the developer was awesome about fixing it and sent me a fine working version. Its simple to use and does the job.
    Global Posts
    80 Global Posts
    Right Back seems to be working for me right now.
    BackupMan is a little flaky on the T650. However, the latest version (1.52.b.5) has worked acceptably through numerous automatic backups and at least one hard reset restore (whew!). I do note that I had problems with the initial backups on a fresh SD card. The out of memory error occurred the first time I tried to use the card. Manually running the same backup again worked fine. I was a firm believer in BackupMan with the T600, a rock solid life saver. It is a little disconcerting to have a backup application that's a little inconsistent........
    I use backupman and have sucessfully restored fine. Sometimes (1 out of 10) it fails on a backup, usually after I've been trying some new apps. However in all cases if I do a soft reset the backup then works fine
    Using the same 1.52.b.5 version of BackupMan on my 650 as I was using on my 600 and have 17 problem-free backups in row. In fact, I've never had even a hiccup from BackupMan on my 600 or 650. It does make me a little nervous though when so many others report problems on the 650. Wonder if it's a free space issue? I use PowerRun and have moved all I can to my 512M card and still have lots of space on the card and a whopping 17M free in the Treo!
    Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 650now
    Using the same 1.52.b.5 version of BackupMan on my 650 as I was using on my 600 and have 17 problem-free backups in row. In fact, I've never had even a hiccup from BackupMan on my 600 or 650. It does make me a little nervous though when so many others report problems on the 650. Wonder if it's a free space issue? I use PowerRun and have moved all I can to my 512M card and still have lots of space on the card and a whopping 17M free in the Treo!
    17 MB free on the Treo? The only way I'd have 17 MB free on the Treo is if I removed *everything* and left just my contacts. And maybe not even then.

Sure, I've moved some things to my 1GB SD card, but the fact is that's slower to access and somewhat of an annoyance to store everything there. I've done my best and am happy to have 4-5 MB free. And I do like to occasionally play with 3rd party apps that brings that "free space" number down. Hey, this is Palm OS right? The whole reason I chose a Palm device is so I could enjoy the tens of thousands of 3rd party apps.

So it seems like BackupMan really needs to have at least 7 MB or so of free space to fully back up without a crash. I think the most I ever had, running the leanest, meanest set possible, was 5.5 MB! And I'm not willing to pare it down further just to appease BackupMan. I'd rather wait for this bug to be fixed by Palm or worked around by Bits N Bolts. And in the meantime, Right Backup isn't crashing and is reporting successful backups.
    I did backups with both BackupMan and RightBackUp and neither one will correctly restore my address book files. Does anyone know exactly what address book files are needed? Why are there address and contact files?
    Thanks!
    -Vincent
    TealBackup is the only one that reliably backs out without resetting in the middle or at the end. I've tried them all. I realize it may be something on my phone, but so far TealBackup is working like a champ. I haven't done a reset yet though, so I don't know how the restore will work.

-Brian
    Here are a couple of other backup programs you might consider trying:

http://www.hiratte.com/savebackup.html

http://www.pdaapps.com/verisafe/

I don't have experience with either of these, and can't try them yet. Let us know how it goes.
    I have had problems with backupman the out of memory issue and i picked up a 1 gig card and moved a lot of programs to the card freeing up 6 meg of internal memory and now it works fine.

Fred
    Quote Originally Posted by fkpalm
    I have had problems with backupman the out of memory issue and i picked up a 1 gig card and moved a lot of programs to the card freeing up 6 meg of internal memory and now it works fine.

Fred
    How pitiful is that?
    May be pitiful but it works and today when i had to do a hard reset i was thankful that it worked had a complete restore.

Fred
    Quote Originally Posted by fkpalm
    May be pitiful but it works and today when i had to do a hard reset i was thankful that it worked had a complete restore.

Fred
    Just saying that it's pitiful that we've got to do all this memory management in order to run basic programs...
    What program did you restore with Fred? I've successfully backed up with Right, but haven't yet needed to restore.

Iamvincent- did you ever restore your Contacts?
    i have been using backupman works real good if you can work around the memory issue.

Fred
    Question for those who have the "out of memory" issue with backupman, do you have mmplayer installed? And for those with resets, do you have Butler?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast