Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DigglerD
    Nobody forced anyone on this site to buy the phone and it says 32MG internal right there on the box...
    It said the same thing on my Treo 600 box. But 32 MB on a Treo 600 went a lot further than 32 MB on a Treo 650. In a sense, they redefined what "32 MB" actually means!

And because of that, I reserve the right to complain that it's a backwards step. They should have given the phone 64 MB to compensate. This *is* an upgrade, right?

Or are you going to argue next that it's not really an upgrade but an entirely different device altogether?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dafydd
    Not on back order...
    From P1:
    We're pleased to inform you that the following item(s) from order xxxxxxx have been shipped.
    They musta just recovered from the xmas rush and/or got a shipment of SD cards in. I got my backorder notice last week and my ship notice today.
    Same with all of us.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fofer
    It said the same thing on my Treo 600 box. But 32 MB on a Treo 600 went a lot further than 32 MB on a Treo 650. In a sense, they redefined what "32 MB" actually means!

And because of that, I reserve the right to complain that it's a backwards step. They should have given the phone 64 MB to compensate. This *is* an upgrade, right?

Or are you going to argue next that it's not really an upgrade but an entirely different device altogether?

I guess NVFS is a downgrade. I love the notion of loading all kinds of stuff on my phone...simply to lose it the first time I head too far from home without a full charge. The company did a weighing of what's important. In thier eyes, the non-volitile memmory was more important. In your, maybe not. That's great, start your own company, make your own PDA's and kick the hell out of palm with a 64MG PDA phone. I can be almost positive you will fail.

Further, there is no "redefintion" of what 32 megs is. It's a physical characteristic that exists in the phone and is not debatable. There have been OS's from the dawn of time that utilize the "clustering" of data for access, storage and a myriad of other things.

It's backwards...fine, save your $600 and keep your Treo600... I'll have fun with the phone I got that provides exactly what was advertised by Palm.
    So are you claiming to have all of the promised 32 non-debatable megs?
    And are you actually happy with less internal storage space?
    Be honest.
    Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    On the 600 whenever the battery got low, it went into a conservation mode where I couldn't use it as a phone, but the PDA functions remained. And I could leave it like that for days until I plugged in again! The reason they went to NVFS was so you could swap batteries without losing data. In other words, 2 steps forward with the removable battery - yay - one step backward with the NVFS memory to allow for swapping. Meanwhile, there are other batteries (in laptops and other Palms) that could've allowed 30 seconds of memory while you quickly swap batteries.

I'm not saying they shouldn't have gone NVFS. I'm saying they should have tested the real-world repercussions of going that route, and compensated for the reduction in usable space by bumping the memory to 64 MB or higher. Even if it wasn't NVFS, 32 MB is laughably low these days. Even if I had never heard of NVFS, I was disappointed when I heard the Treo 650 had the "same" amount of memory as the 600.

Sticking with 32 MB instead of properly upgrading to 64 MB saved PalmOne what... $1 per unit?
    Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Markito
    Well, to clarify, the box says 32 MB but it's really only 23 MB "usable" space. 9 MB are being used by the built in apps (3 of which I'm not even using.)
    Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    Further, there is no "redefintion" of what 32 megs is. It's a physical characteristic that exists in the phone and is not debatable. There have been OS's from the dawn of time that utilize the "clustering" of data for access, storage and a myriad of other things.
    Let's say on a Treo 600 with 32 MB I had 3000 contacts, 1000 events, and 10 applications to sync. I've got 1 MB to spare. How come on a Treo 650 with 32 MB I can't sync the exact same amount of data?

I can see not comparing apples to oranges when you're dealing with separate products (like Mac vs. PC and the "megahertz myth.") But there is a reasonable expectation from customers that when I upgrade from one product to the next that I will be able to do whatever I did on the previous device... and more.
    Quote Originally Posted by Markito
    And are you actually happy with less internal storage space?
    Be honest.
    I don't think we had a complete 32MB in the 600 either. I t doesn't say 32MB ""extra" storage. Of course the apps on the palm will take some of this. Yes I would have rather had more storage but I'm willing to bet there are costs involved and all those little $1 bills add up. Maybe the consumer will pay the passed on costs, maybe they won't. Palm made the decision that they wouldn't and capped it at 32.

There are 32MG or memmory on the phone and as I said before, it's a physical characteristic of the phone that is not debatable.
    Well, to clarify, the box says 32 MB but it's really only 23 MB "usable" space. 9 MB are being used by the built in apps (3 of which I'm not even using.)
    Go to Shodowmite's site... it has all the instructions you need to pull these apps out of ROM.
    Let's say on a Treo 600 with 32 MB I had 3000 contacts, 1000 events, and 10 applications to sync. I've got 1 MB to spare. How come on a Treo 650 with 32 MB I can't sync the exact same amount of data?

I can see not comparing apples to oranges when you're dealing with separate products (like Mac vs. PC and the "megahertz myth.") But there is a reasonable expectation from customers that when I upgrade from one product to the next that I will be able to do whatever I did on the previous device... and more.
    You are confused, it is apples to oranges. They are two different file systems that run in two different ways. Your analogy would imply the MS DOS should run just like MS Windows 3.1 or MS 3.1 just like Windows XP... 95, 98 and XP all rerquired more computer (ram, graphics card, processing speed, bus speed) than DOS or 3.1 but 3.1 was still Windows as is XP...I couldn't do the same things on 3.1 as I can on XP but likewise I can't do some things on XP like I can on 3.1 (just think about the memmory overhead in 9X and XP).

Windows was a step back from DOS in my opinion but Microsoft felt thata gui made more sense to more of the market than command line. Did they conform to the "power user" on DOS? No, they conformed to the market that was paying the bills.
    woohoo just got email that my items shipped today
    They said mine shipped also. We will see.
    Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    You are confused, it is apples to oranges. They are two different file systems that run in two different ways. Your analogy would imply the MS DOS should run just like MS Windows 3.1 or MS 3.1 just like Windows XP... 95, 98 and XP all rerquired more computer (ram, graphics card, processing speed, bus speed) than DOS or 3.1 but 3.1 was still Windows as is XP...I couldn't do the same things on 3.1 as I can on XP but likewise I can't do some things on XP like I can on 3.1 (just think about the memmory overhead in 9X and XP).
    Whatever dude... a computer that came bundled with Windows XP has a buttload more memory, speed, and hard drive space than an older machine that came bundled with Windows 3.1. Why? To compensate for the new, hungrier system. That's called "progress."

Sending us a $3 128 MB card to "appease" us is not progress.
    "when I upgrade from one product to the next that I will be able to do whatever I did on the previous device... and more."

I was responding to that and my Microsoft analogy works perfectly. You could not do the same things on one peice as you could on the other with similar hardware. The software's consumption doesn't change the physical characteristics of the hardware just live the 600 v. 650

Now you want to talke about bundles... well what Dell or Gateway does with a "bundle" doesn't fit the analogy and complies to a totally different set of rules. Regardless, end point being, there are tradeoffs and they thought this one was progress. I'm sure they are sorry you can't store contact # 3001 or event # 1001... The elephant in the suitcase comes to mind.

Cheers
    just ordered mine...thanks for the info...

Isn't less memory an "upgrade" to you? Or are you just another PalmOne Hay-tah?

Really, it's not like anyone has written any more programs over the year, or any of the existing programs grew in size to take advantage of the expanded capabilities of the Treo, or that anyone's databases might have expanded over the year... Anyway, apparently EVERYTHING can be run off an SD card now - internal memory is just for bragging rights, like those 200MPH speedometers.

Many people aren't yet aware of this - but the entire Palm developer community stopped writing anything about 3 years ago. Hence, any expectations for internal memory over 4-8MB is considered highly unrealistic by PalmOne and will put you on their "list" of troublemakers. Anyhow - it's not like the Treo is considered any sort of "high-end" device for chrissakes.

I figure that every year I need LESS memory than the year before, and I'm holding out for the Treo 700 - rumored to have about 6MB usable internal memory, only one programmable hardware button, a reset hole that you need to unscrew a panel with a torx bit to access, monochrome screen, no vibrating alarm and selling for about $800 plus tax. It'll be out in about a year (and still won't have EDGE).

Meanwhile, here's a free $4.99 SD card to quiet you down on your $600.00 purchase. Happy now?
    Treo 755s in good condition available on ebay for $50-$75. No need to pay for insurance or buy a Pre.
    Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    Well said, Joad. I think we all get the picture.

Seriously, NVFS issue aside, the Treo 600 had 32 MB of RAM. The 650 should've come with more. Period.

(The NVFS issue just added insult to injury.)

Anyone arguing otherwise is either missing the bigger picture, is a Palm apologist, or is just tyring to make themselves feel better about their $600 purchase. Don't get me wrong, I am pleased with the device. The Treo 650 is hugely powerful; it's just that it is hurt badly by this misstep. It feels something like having a Ferrari that gets filled up with 2 gallons of gas.
    I got this email on the 28th:

Item: 1797551
    Description: SIM 128 mb Secure Digital Card
    Quantity: 1 @ $ .00

Quote Originally Posted by thomasanderson
    Has anyone's card actually shipped yet?
    Global Posts
    291 Global Posts
    just received mine in the mail. its black, kinda like the Ultra II's, but its different. its the thinnest SD Card I have ever seen.