Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    I'm with Markito.

Remember when you had PC problems, and the only answers you ever got from support were one of: a) Try re-booting your system; b) try reloading the software; c) you have to re-install the operating system.

No one considers these answers acceptable any more, and they should not be acceptable on the Palm OS either.

Cheers,
    ChickenHawk
    Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DigglerD
    You guys need to stop crying. It's a phone, not a laptop. PalmOne has manufactured a product and for what they have manufactured the phone as released works quite well. Sure less contacts, but I bet that is a problem for 1% of Treo Users... Everyone is mad because they can't install apps (half of which Palm doesn't even know about) on a PDA / Phone. If you want to do all this stuff, quit being cheap and pony up the other half of the $1200 for a laptop... Apple and Sony make them pretty small now.
    No, that's not it. I'm not loading any video clips or music or even photos on my Treo's internal memory. I'll even agree that watching a movie on this small screen is more of a novelty than anything and I'm just not interested in spending any time on that. I'm just trying to run the 6-7 apps I've come to rely on and appreciate over the years. The Treo 650 is *not* just a phone. It's a smart phone, powered by PalmOS. And the whole reason I *chose* this device is because of the tens of thousands of applications available for the PalmOS. To say otherwise is to not fully understand what a true "power user" of this device really wants. I now find myself choosing between programs because the Treo 650 just can't hold all the basics.

And a laptop won't cut it. I can't exactly pull out a laptop in a fine restaurant. Nor can I crack one open at a stoplight. The form factor, instant-on capabilities, and versatility of a PDA is what I want. And that's not a cost consideration -- that's a form factor consideration. Sure, the Treo 650 is nice -- the best current smartphone in fact... but it also falls short in many areas. For every 3 steps it has taken forward, it seems it has also taken 1 step back.

I wonder what department the PalmOne employee who was "flabbergasted" by the notion of a 1 GB SD card works in? The cafeteria? The fact is, the Treo ships with RealPlayer as an MP3 player. And it's easy to fill up 1 GB with songs alone.

When I spend $600 on a technology device I like to be inspired about the possibilities for the future, not scolded or laughed at for trying to push the envelope. The Treo *can* handle these things, it's just that PalmOne made some bone-headed choices (to save a few bucks, I'm sure) and didn't TEST the 650 fully before releasing it.

Think outside the box. The power users complaining today are the ones who push companies to innovate and deliver wonderful things. In a few years the others might get it, and will eventually marvel at the wonders.

Keep in mind:

http://krudmart.com/images/everythingyoulike.jpg

http://krudmart.com/product_info.php?products_id=440
    Well, given a PalmOne universal keyboard ($69) and Docs to Go (on the CD), this baby is a pretty fair substitute for a laptop on a lot of trips. Granted, a very small screen - but hi res with email and attachments, it has a lot more power than my first laptop (Toshiba 1100+ with two 720k floppy disks, 640k ram, 1200 baud modem and Wordperfect 4.2)

Everyone in this thread is right - most of us have to get over the fact that it is "just a cell phone with PIM" while those geeks among push it to the limit as a mini-laptop replacement. To each his/her own.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    Quote Originally Posted by Markito
    I think that sums up PalmOnes bad attitude right there if they don't even know that we all use our Treos for everything. Do they not read TreoCentral?
    Why do they even work at PalmOne if they are not creative power users?

Smartphones have been around long enough for them to know that they are used for anything and everything these days. That should not come as a shock to them at all. Wake up PalmOne. "Just a PDAphone", that's just sick.
    If I manufactered desktops and a guy came to me and said it was defective because it didn't run on low enough wattage and high enough volts to run my car OBDII diagnostic / navigation / USB bus / and hard drive in the car off altenator power... Would you then say I had a "bad attitude" because I wasn't jumping through hoops to make something work in a manner that it wasn't conceived?

Tech Support: Hello, how may I help you?

Markito: My car doesn't fly! I'm pissed! Fix it!

Tech Support: Well... Um, sir it wasn't made to fly. You will need to spend mone on an airplane if you want to fly.

Markito: That is unacceptable! Your attitude is lousy! I know of a guy who bought your car and converted it into an airplane to make it fly, so you should support this as well!

Tech Support: Sir you should talk to him then. Or perhaps Lockheed... Airbus, Delt? TWA?

Markito: This is exactly why you will never have the best car, you don't make them fly and don't even care to make them fly, GOODBYE!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fofer
    I now find myself choosing between programs because the Treo 650 just can't hold all the basics.
    The basics are relative. I have what I would call "the basics" in ROM and the rest on card. And I still have mem free in ROM.

And a laptop won't cut it. I can't exactly pull out a laptop in a fine restaurant. Nor can I crack one open at a stoplight. The form factor, instant-on capabilities, and versatility of a PDA is what I want. And that's not a cost consideration -- that's a form factor consideration.
    And that's why a Palm is not a "mini laptop". You can't always get everything you want.

I wonder what department the PalmOne employee who was "flabbergasted" by the notion of a 1 GB SD card works in? The cafeteria? The fact is, the Treo ships with RealPlayer as an MP3 player. And it's easy to fill up 1 GB with songs alone.
    Sysadmin, and yes, he has one.

Think outside the box. The power users complaining today are the ones who push companies to innovate and deliver wonderful things. In a few years the others might get it, and will eventually marvel at the wonders.
    You just said it, "outside the box". I am on cutting edge as well and like I said, have ZLauncher and a 1GB card. I have WinXP running in my car for christ sakes (carputers are cool!). But Palm is developing for inside the box companies ($$$) and execs ($$$) that wont ever do half the stuff the power user here does. When the power user moves out of the fray and into a significant market share, maybe then the phone will be tailored for us. If not the memory, the complaints would be about the camera, or the processor, or the keyboard... there is always something.
    I guess they can tell I'm sticking up for them... Just got this in email...

We're pleased to inform you that the following item(s) from order 041215-011xxx have been shipped. For items with a status other than shipped, you will receive an e-mail notification of the shipment when it occurs. Your credit card has now been charged for the item(s) that have shipped, plus any applicable sales tax.

VIEW YOUR SHIPMENT STATUS
    The link below will supply you with the most recent shipment status.
    Please allow up to 1 hour for this information to update on our website from the time you receive this e-mail.

http://web.palmone.com/support/order_status.jhtml
    Global Posts
    291 Global Posts
    I just got an e-mail saying my card shipped
    same here
    Treoing & Loving it
    I'm sorry, I didn't see where they marketed my car as a SmartCar.
    I'm sorry, I didn't see where they marketed my car as a SmartCar.
    lol...

I guess "Smart" phone means everything we put into the phone including everything someone else may come up with in the future. "Smart" phone is a catch phrase and if you think, video, organizers, true web browsing, word processing and all the other things the Palm does out of the box (not to mention all the stuff you can buy to add on at the store) is not smart then I don't know what to tell you.

You are trying to fit an elephant in a suitcase and getting mad at Samsonite because it wont work.
    Same here, just shipped!
    I got a very odd shipping message.

Your shipment includes the following item(s):

Item: 1797551
    Description: SIM 128 mb Secure Digital Card
    Quantity: 1 @ $ .00
    First Class

Item: 1794793
    Description: PALM 128mb Promo for Treo 650
    Quantity: 1 @ $ .00

Am I getting 2 cards for the price of ... er ... free. This would be cool. I guess I'll find out in a few days.
    Nope, just one card. One says Secure digital card, the other says Promo for Treo 650
    Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    Woohoo! I can't wait for my $3 card to ship!
    Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    lol...

I guess "Smart" phone means everything we put into the phone including everything someone else may come up with in the future. "Smart" phone is a catch phrase and if you think, video, organizers, true web browsing, word processing and all the other things the Palm does out of the box (not to mention all the stuff you can buy to add on at the store) is not smart then I don't know what to tell you.

You are trying to fit an elephant in a suitcase and getting mad at Samsonite because it wont work.
    No, you're just too darn easy to please. I bought a PalmOS powered cell phone. I want the PalmOS to live up to it's promise. Instead PalmOS has hampered it severely by changing its memory architecture and not increasing the amount it has internally to compensate for the change.
    No, you're just too darn easy to please. I bought a PalmOS powered cell phone. I want the PalmOS to live up to it's promise. Instead PalmOS has hampered it severely by changing its memory architecture and not increasing the amount it has internally to compensate for the change.

Then take it back and get a pocketPC, I'm sure that will work much better for you -grin- . Nobody forced anyone on this site to buy the phone and it says 32MG internal right there on the box...
    Not on back order...
    From P1:
    We're pleased to inform you that the following item(s) from order xxxxxxx have been shipped.
    I bought a PalmOS powered cell phone. I want the PalmOS to live up to it's promise.
    Then take it back and get a pocketPC...
    That's funny, I didn't know that pocketPC used PalmOS.

...it says 32MG internal right there on the box...
    True, but PalmOne didn't deliver 32MG, did they? We ended up with much less by PalmOne changing its memory architecture and not increasing the amount it has internally to compensate for the change, didn't we?
    That's funny, I didn't know that pocketPC used PalmOS.
    You have made improper use of sighting... I was saying that Palm is not the only player in the market and if you are unhappy, you should go to a competitor. If enough people do maybe they will change to cater to your demands.
    The 650's my first Palm, and admittedly I've been out of the PDA market for about three years. I did have two of the first generation iPaq's, and I'd have to say the Treo 650 PDA functionality appears to be about a generation behind the first iPaq. It also crashes regularly which is a bit strange since it only does one thing at a time. My iPaq's never crashed which was a vast improvement over Windows. I wanted Bluetooth and the phone integration so I'm glad I got the 650, but I feel like a pioneer (with the arrows in the back and everything else). I'd also have to say that palmOne will never survive a similar product from Microsoft. I'd also be embarrassed to advertise that this phone had Bluetooth if I were Palm. Only for the good work of Shadowmite is the phone even useful as a Bluetooth device. I'm pulling for Palm, but it's gonna take more than a $5 SD card to keep customers happy and win new ones. The one entity that can do something about the sorry state of affairs is Sprint. They have the clout to make Palm clean up their act ... or else.