Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Any thoughts on which one is better? AeroPlayer claims superior sound quality--has anyone noticed this?
    i didn't notice that at all.

pocket tunes has more features and plays more formats.
    Global Posts
    586 Global Posts
    I compared AeroPlayer with RealPlayer, and the only feature that Aero had that edged out RP was a really good EQ. When the EQ software was disabled, there was virtually no difference. I haven't tried PTunes yet, but I will probably do an evaluation this weekend. I didn't purchase Aeroplayer.
    Vince
    Been using Ptunes for months, and just tried Aeroplayer for the first time today. Sound quality in AP KILLS that of Ptunes, and that is what I conclude after several a/b tests (same file listened to one after another in each app, various volume levels in each app, flat EQ in each app). And this is just using pretty basic $15 Sony headphones bought in a drugstore.

Not only is the sound quality superior, but the system resources used by AP are much less. Most of my music files are .ogg to save space/increase quality over MP3, but my biggest gripe using Ptunes for .ogg was that during background play it made the Treo 600 soooo slow when I wanted to go back to my launcher, open email, play chess, etc. since .ogg in general requires more processing power no matter what you play them on. AP's offers background play as well, and during play of .ogg files the Treo zips around other apps almost as quickly as when AP isn't playing - I could barely tell the difference.

If you don't need streaming and some of the other features that Ptunes offers, then Aeroplayer may suit your needs if you're looking for higher quality audio and lower system hogging, especially if you use .ogg files (AP is free if all you want to play are .ogg files).
    I wish my music was already in ogg format!! I got stuck with the MP3s, and I'm not really too concerned about it.

I too noticed a pretty big difference between Aeroplayer and PTunes. When you have the EQ set correctly, the bass output matches that of the iPod!! If you get some really good headphones...it's A LOT more noticable than some earbuds.

I can only stream 64kbps audio without getting skips...and it doesn't sound nearly as good as the almost gig worth of mp3s that are on my sd card. Aeroplayer has some nice skins, a decent price, good audio format support, and the best EQ and sound output of any audio player for Palm devices.

My ONLY problem with Aeroplayer is when used in conjunction with Blazer -- it will skip incessantly...even when the page is already loaded. I tried PXA Clocker, and it didn't help...it's gotta be a memory leak or something. If you have Xiino, you won't notice the problem, though!

Any Aeroplayer user, even non-Aeroplayer users should report this to the developer so that we can have a better product! Here's the support form: http://www.aerodrome.us/aeroplayer/supportform.html.
    I am using PTunes on my Treo 650, but I had Aeroplayer on my Clie TJ37 and I liked the sound it produced.

I found a lot more skins available for Aeroplayer than PTunes and I like the overall use of Aeroplayer more than PTunes. I just found it easier to use.

On the website for Aeroplayer they show it now plays AAC-encoded MPEG-4 audio files with the .m4a extension. Of course, they also state you would need to remove the DRM to get them to work.

I don't do any streaming of music, so I don't really need that feature in PTunes.
    Uh oh, my first Aeroplayer gripe - I notice that it skips when the screen is off. In their FAQ (suggesting that this is common) they mention that this is a hardware issue and imply that nothing can be done about it. That statement is pretty baseless because there are several other players (PocketTunes, MMPlayer, DioPlayer, TCPMP, etc.) that can play files with the screen off, yet they have no problem with skipping.

Great product, but skipping when the screen is off is not easy to accept (ok, impossible for me). Most people listen to music with the screen OFF at some point in time, otherwise you combine a constantly-on LCD screen with a player using up a decent amount of processing power and your battery dies before too long.

Just when I was about to wean myself off PTunes - aaargh!
    Quote Originally Posted by ninodelsol
    Uh oh, my first Aeroplayer gripe - I notice that it skips when the screen is off. In their FAQ (suggesting that this is common) they mention that this is a hardware issue and imply that nothing can be done about it. That statement is pretty baseless because there are several other players (PocketTunes, MMPlayer, DioPlayer, TCPMP, etc.) that can play files with the screen off, yet they have no problem with skipping.

Great product, but skipping when the screen is off is not easy to accept (ok, impossible for me). Most people listen to music with the screen OFF at some point in time, otherwise you combine a constantly-on LCD screen with a player using up a decent amount of processing power and your battery dies before too long.

Aeroplayer does not skip on my Treo when the screen is off. Did you change your setting on the "Power" page....'Power key while playing' should be set to 'Turns off screen' and NOT 'Turns off device'. I don't understand why they would have it set to turn off device by default.

When the power would cut off, the music would just stop playing for me...it wouldn't skip, so I don't know if this is the same issue.

Hope you get it resolved!
    Quote Originally Posted by ninodelsol

Doesn't make sense to me, but maybe thats how they are getting that superior sound quality over the others.. :/
    Yea...I'm confused by this whole skipping thing - new to me. It's gotta be user error, ninodelsol. :-D J/K...try changing the power setting in aeroplayer, making sure you're using version 5.5, and if nothing else works...contact the developer.

Lemme know how it works out for ya.
    Quote Originally Posted by grndslm
    I wish my music was already in ogg format!! I got stuck with the MP3s, and I'm not really too concerned about it.
    Why not convert to ogg with something like dbPoweramp?
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
    Yeah, my Power setting has the screen turning off when hitting the power button, not the device turning off. Thanks for that hint.

From their FAQ:
    ------------------
    Q: Why does the audio skip when the screen turns off, or when opening or closing the Tungsten T's slide mechanism?

A: According to Palm, this is caused by a hardware delay, and there is no available work-around.
    ------------------

The support person suggests that skipping may occur at the moment the screen turns off, but not during the entire time it is off (somewhat ambiguous wording in the FAQ led me to believe that my "skipping the entire time the screen is off" issue was common).

Nonetheless, the files definitely skip if (and only if) the screen is off, like a half second silent period every 5-20 seconds. Their tech support has suggested that it may have something to do with the sound files themselves, so I'm telling them all my bitrate info, file type, encoder, etc. as they have requested. None of these files have a problem playing in PTunes or TCPMP with the screen off though. We shall see.

I'll report back.
    Quote Originally Posted by scottymomo
    Why not convert to ogg with something like dbPoweramp?
    I was about to spout out a buncha reasons why not to...but then my reasons ended up convincing me that there was no reason not to convert to ogg. I figured that while at the house I have a ton of choices when it comes to ogg on the desktop...while everywhere else I will primarily use my Treo as my sole mp3 player (portable, car). Also, my favorite MP3 player for the Treo is Aeroplayer, which is free for me if I convert to ogg. Soo...there is no reason for me not to convert to ogg.

That is, of course, if there's absolutely no loss in quality when converting from mp3s to cd. I realize it would be better to copy directly from cds to ogg from now on....but is there any loss from mp3 to ogg?
    Yes, there will be a perceptible loss in quality going from one compressed format to another, since by nature each compression scheme strips out portions of the audio spectrum. It would be like making a new batch of lemonade from a jug of lemonade instead of from lemons.
    Last edited by ninodelsol; 07/21/2005 at 10:38 AM.
    DANGIT!! Nevermind, then.
    Quote Originally Posted by grndslm
    DANGIT!! Nevermind, then.
    Try one or two songs and see if you notice a difference (I can't hear much of a difference but I'm not really an audiophile).

I'd rather take file sizes that are half as large as mp3s for a slight loss in quality
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
    i just switched to aeroplayer, for the aac compatibility.
    makes it much easier to work with my itunes library of music.
    now i can convert all my itunes mp3s to aac.
    iBug
    mac osx user new beetle pilot powerbook operator smartphone communicator

----------
    vzw.kyo6035 > vzw.kyo7135 > vzw.treo600 > sprint.treo650
    Aeroplayer has album art viewer and superior graphics EQ, It also has reportedly better sound quality and ACC support which is useful with iTunes and Hymn. On the other hand, Aeroplayer doesn't seem to support backround playback as well as other palyers...

Ptunes, support DRM wma that is compatible with various online stores. It also has streaming support plugin skins (while not as diverse as Aeroplayer). Ptues seems to have better backroudn playback compared to Aeroplayer, but it huge file and expensizve for deluxe version...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Quote Originally Posted by scottymomo
    Try one or two songs and see if you notice a difference (I can't hear much of a difference but I'm not really an audiophile).

I'd rather take file sizes that are half as large as mp3s for a slight loss in quality
    Are all typically half as large?? That's definitely a good compromise...I will have to test a couple songs.

Thanks for finally giving me reasons to convert to the good side, scotty & ninodelsol!
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic
    Aeroplayer has album art viewer and superior graphics EQ, It also has reportedly better sound quality and ACC support which is useful with iTunes and Hymn. On the other hand, Aeroplayer doesn't seem to support backround playback as well as other palyers...

Ptunes, support DRM wma that is compatible with various online stores. It also has streaming support plugin skins (while not as diverse as Aeroplayer). Ptues seems to have better backroudn playback compared to Aeroplayer, but it huge file and expensizve for deluxe version...
    Yes, I hope they fix the background playback (specifically Blazer for me) soon!

But my question for you, gfunk, is how do you embed images into the audio file?? There's not much information on Aeroplayer's site about this. Also, is there like a CDDB of album covers??
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast