Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp..._air_travelers

It looks like the future holds some promising wireless solutions for air travel.
    L.A. Times article on the same....

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-f...home-headlines
    I may be the oddball in this list, but I hate cell phones. I get tense and irritable every time I hear a phone ring. I also don't consider most phone conversations important enough that they can't wait until I get where I'm going. It took a cool gadget like the Treo to make me tolerate carrying a phone with me all the time. Mostly I use it for things like watching videos, listening to MP3s, remote desktop via VNC, games, etc.

Net access onboard a flight is fine and welcome; but I dread the day when everybody around me will be yapping away on their cell phones while I'm trying to catch a nap. At least the current in-flight phones are so expensive that they discourage most people from using them for meaningless chit-chat.

IMHO
    karlfranz: I feel the same way you do. I wouldn't mind so much if people use the same tone of voice when they talk on the their cell phone as they do to someone sitting next to them, but in general people are a lot louder when they carry out a conversation on their cell phone. Perhaps cell phone companies should run some public awareness ads, sneaking in between "Can you hear me now" a few "not so loud!"
    I remember reading somewhere that it's actually the fact that the conversations are one sided that's more annoying. The constant start and stop of it rather than hearing a continuous conversation. It caused people in the study to rate the one sided conversations as louder even when they weren't. Really they were just more annoying.

I get good cell phone reception in the train and yet few people actually use them there. Mayble it will be different on a plane but it might not be as bad as you think.
    GregV: I was wondering about the effect of listening to half a conversation too. That could certainly be one of the factors. I commute to work by bus, and I do remember a few times when I can clearly hear a loud cell phone conversation from half way to the back of the bus. But it seems that more people are aware of the problem so it doesn't happen as much as it used to.
    Heres the deal....

People NEED TO KNOW WHEN TO ANSWER and WHEN TO LET THE VOICE MAIL GET IT. Just BECASUE you are now available 24/7 unlike the past, shouldnt mean that someone can call you all the time and you will get it.

If more people were selective about taking calls, tings would be better for them the caller and the people arounsd them.

Years ago it was a 9-5 world... If you left work at 5, the weekend would come and you wouldnt worry about anything... because nothing would happen!
    Quote Originally Posted by karlfranz
    I may be the oddball in this list, but I hate cell phones. I get tense and irritable every time I hear a phone ring. I also don't consider most phone conversations important enough that they can't wait until I get where I'm going. It took a cool gadget like the Treo to make me tolerate carrying a phone with me all the time. Mostly I use it for things like watching videos, listening to MP3s, remote desktop via VNC, games, etc.

Net access onboard a flight is fine and welcome; but I dread the day when everybody around me will be yapping away on their cell phones while I'm trying to catch a nap. At least the current in-flight phones are so expensive that they discourage most people from using them for meaningless chit-chat.

IMHO
    I think the freedom to use wireless would be nice for some rare event that i need it on a plane. But I am with you. I fly pretty often with the military and my god, to even imagine the same yahoos that find themselves so important on the ground, waiting for their flights now in the air thinking they are just as important is going to be a nuisance to those sitting inches from them or trying to sleep. It always kills me (with humor) to see these folks in the airport yapping on the phones, conducting business, ear bud flopping around. It always looks like they are talking to themselves. Oh and the one I love most just as you land "honey, just landed, pulling up to the ramp now. Ok, now if these people would move, alright, see you in baggage claim in 5 minutes". Fortunately, the cell phone thing as reported by the news last night will be studied well into 2007 and by then, my guess is that the airlines will win and they will only be authorized just before take off and after landing, sort of like now.

Eric
    Quote Originally Posted by GregV
    I remember reading somewhere that it's actually the fact that the conversations are one sided that's more annoying. The constant start and stop of it rather than hearing a continuous conversation. It caused people in the study to rate the one sided conversations as louder even when they weren't. Really they were just more annoying.

I get good cell phone reception in the train and yet few people actually use them there. Mayble it will be different on a plane but it might not be as bad as you think.
    Back in the days of analog phones I had my tea at the Park Lane spoiled by some boor who completed 3 calls at the top of his lungs. I switched to champagne and that helped a little.

I think that the public use of cell phones is getting better. In part this is because of better phone and service quality (digital), use of headsets (which give better feedback), and increasing public awareness. At its worst, I do not find it as annoying as alarm sounds in TV programming.

I use my Treo for data from one end of my 70 minute train trip into NYC to the other; take incoming, may make a short outgoing. Perhaps as many as half the people on the train have cell phones. I confess that every now then I get annoyed with some chick who is simply gossiping but I might be just as annoyed if her girlfriend was right next to her. I just do not like gossip.

The ambient noise level on this commuter is train is pretty high. Amtrak, which is a little quieter, permits use of cell phones but does provide a "quiet" car.

On a recent trip to Japan I noted that more than half of those on the train were using their cell phones but most seemed to be doing data or sms. Few were talking.

It has been suggested that the now unused "no smoking signs" on airplanes could be converted to use for regulating cell phone. As a 50K mile per year flyer, I prefer cell phones to smoking.

American now permits cell phone use between touch-down and gate arrival. At touch-down all the cell phones come out. However, it is not as bad as one might expect. While some are reporting safe landing, most are simply passively checking voice-mail. I check e-mail. That should not annoy anyone.
    Last edited by whmurray; 12/16/2004 at 07:54 AM.
    I wonder if there's anybody we can lobby (write, email) to continue the ban on cell phones in flight? Flying is enough like being in a cattle car as it is. Adding the noise of several dozen self-important people shouting into their cell phones will only make it worse. And I can imagine what the majority of those conversations will be like: "Marge? MARGE?? GUESS WHERE I'M CALLING FROM. NO, NO, YOU WON'T BELIEVE IT, I'M CALLING FROM AN AIRPLANE!!"

The good news is that most users aren't giong to get a connection in an airplane, at least not for a while. Cell towers are geared to ground users, and don't transmit much energy up. And I think the carriers have enough on their plate with existing network upgrades that adding capacity for airborne users will be pretty low on the priority list.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    NO VOICE CALLS IN THE AIR (that's the first time I've ever yelled on line - and that's a 20 year history). I know I'm one of those abusers out there, but we really need to draw the liine - did you ever want to choke the ***** that answered, AND TALKED, during a movie? Can you imagine a cramped airplane cabin? SMS, email, whatever, but absolutely no voice conversations during flight - that's almost as bad as a step back smoking flights.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    I take Metro North back and forth to NYC and it's usually pretty quiet. In the morning it's just a sea of newspapers, and on the way back it's not bad either. I see Blackberries going and maybe some e-mail/voicemail checking but fairly few extended conversations.

I do think the quality and awareness have made people better. I talk pretty low on my current phone, like I was having a quiet conversation with someone next to me, and never had anyone misunderstand me.

The one thing that's definitely improved is the ringers. The chime sound effects aren't irritating unless they're coming at inappropriate times. Some of the music/gimmicky ones are worse but it was the cheap electronic beep tones that really grated. Fortunately those seem to be on the way out.
    Global Posts
    139 Global Posts
    Cell phones on planes will be horrible. data/net access should be great but being trapped on a NYC-LAX flight with some boob going on endlessly about how "you wouldn' t beleive what my son did" or some guy talk about his health condition on end or whatever will be unbearable.

i almost killed a guy on a chicago airport shuttle who was talking quite loud on his cell phone gving his personal insight on the election (this was the weekend after the election). He was basically regurgitating what all the talking heads said but he swore he had special insight. I had to listen to this for 20 minutes and I wanted to die. Imagine a 6 hour flight. And then I had to listen to him talk to his nana.
    I make my living talking to people, and the self important public gets very irrate if they don't hear a live voice when they decide to grace me with a phone call. I wonder if any of you also complain when you get the voicemail of someone you believe should be at your immediate disposal! The general public has become very impatient and demanding.

My point is that, as with all issues, there are two sides to the story.
    At least cell phone conversations might keep people awake so we aren't bothered anymore by the obnoxious snoring!
    Global Posts
    147 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb
    The good news is that most users aren't giong to get a connection in an airplane, at least not for a while. Cell towers are geared to ground users, and don't transmit much energy up. And I think the carriers have enough on their plate with existing network upgrades that adding capacity for airborne users will be pretty low on the priority list.
    Actually, they'll likely populate low-power cel antennae within the planes themselves for intra-plane communication and then use a higher-powered signal to send the signal to the ground (or perhaps via satellite).
    - Fushigi
    Quote Originally Posted by sxtg
    I make my living talking to people, and the self important public gets very irrate if they don't hear a live voice when they decide to grace me with a phone call. I wonder if any of you also complain when you get the voicemail of someone you believe should be at your immediate disposal! The general public has become very impatient and demanding.

My point is that, as with all issues, there are two sides to the story.
    It is understandable to want to be available as much as you can, but nobody is so important (well except the president) that they cant be out of the net during a flight. I would venture to guess that calls are screened or phone is off in the middle of the night. It is not just the person doing the talking but consideration for those around you. If you don't mind people listening to your calls, that is certainly your business but generally speaking, people feel uncomfortable sitting THAT close to someone who is talking family business or otherwise. It is just awkward and we sit there trying our best to not pay attention but you know as well as I do, you can't turn off your ears, they just seem to hear. There is a big difference with you conducting business on your phone being several feet away but sitting there with elbows touching is just too much of a hinder on personal space. I strongly agree with the email and data and you could still at least then let those you find important know your status.

I am not sure what type work you do - hope it is not a telemarketing business. That subject could generate a new thread on its own.

Eric
    Quote Originally Posted by kirkeric
    It is understandable to want to be available as much as you can, but nobody is so important (well except the president) that they cant be out of the net during a flight. I would venture to guess that calls are screened or phone is off in the middle of the night. It is not just the person doing the talking but consideration for those around you. If you don't mind people listening to your calls, that is certainly your business but generally speaking, people feel uncomfortable sitting THAT close to someone who is talking family business or otherwise. It is just awkward and we sit there trying our best to not pay attention but you know as well as I do, you can't turn off your ears, they just seem to hear. There is a big difference with you conducting business on your phone being several feet away but sitting there with elbows touching is just too much of a hinder on personal space. I strongly agree with the email and data and you could still at least then let those you find important know your status.

I am not sure what type work you do - hope it is not a telemarketing business. That subject could generate a new thread on its own.

Eric
    I am a Realtor,
    You missed my point.

Its not me thinking I am so important, Its the public thinking my personal time is NOT!

The fact is that I HATE being constantly available but people demand it. I make a huge effort to screen calls while in a public environment. I get at least 2 very aggrevated messages a day from people who are pissed because they wanted info I wasn't able to get it to them imediately. Also I live in a very rural area I couldn't imagine how frustrating this must be for Realtors and such in large cities like LA or NY

The problem cant be solved by the person taking the call alone. Next time you are upset because someone wasn't able imediately give you the info you feel like you deserve, realize that person might be on a plane or bus or ??
    Last edited by sxtg; 12/16/2004 at 09:25 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by sxtg
    I am a Realtor,
    You missed my point. The fact is that I HATE being constantly available but people demand it. I make a huge effort to screen calls while in a public environment. I get at least 2 very aggrevated messages a day from people who are pissed because they wanted info I wasn't able to get it to them imediately. Also I live in a very rural area I couldn't imagine how frustrating this must be for Realtors and such in large cities like LA or NY

The problem cant be solved by the person taking the call alone. Next time you are upset because someone wasn't able imediately give you the info you feel like you deserve, realize that person might be on a plane or bus or ??
    I got your point, thanks for the clarification. There are always going to be people like the ones that you descibe. I am pretty impatient myself, but not so much with them not answering but not returning the call. Now THAT pisses me off. And by the way, that was my experience recently, not with the realtor thank god, but with the bank! Left dozens of messages and just kept calling until I got a person. The only other thing that bothers me is how many businesses have gone to that damn automated answering thing where they try to avoid getting you to a human as much as possible. For example, I HATE that automated service with sprint. Seems I am constantly yelling at it "Customer Service!" over and over until "she" finally lets me through. Sprint customers will know what I mean.

Anyway, sorry to ramble but for the few people that leave you the nasty messages, I am sure there are dozens who are a pleasure to work with.

Eric
    Quote Originally Posted by kirkeric
    I got your point, thanks for the clarification. There are always going to be people like the ones that you descibe. I am pretty impatient myself, but not so much with them not answering but not returning the call. Now THAT pisses me off. And by the way, that was my experience recently, not with the realtor thank god, but with the bank! Left dozens of messages and just kept calling until I got a person. The only other thing that bothers me is how many businesses have gone to that damn automated answering thing where they try to avoid getting you to a human as much as possible. For example, I HATE that automated service with sprint. Seems I am constantly yelling at it "Customer Service!" over and over until "she" finally lets me through. Sprint customers will know what I mean.

Anyway, sorry to ramble but for the few people that leave you the nasty messages, I am sure there are dozens who are a pleasure to work with.

Eric
    Yes it definately has its rewards.

By the way with Sprint just push the 0 button and you go right to a living, breathing, Hum.... well you get a warm body anyway.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast