Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 36 of 36
  1. #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta
    Cell phones on planes will be horrible. data/net access should be great but being trapped on a NYC-LAX flight with some boob going on endlessly about how "you wouldn' t beleive what my son did" or some guy talk about his health condition on end or whatever will be unbearable.

    i almost killed a guy on a chicago airport shuttle who was talking quite loud on his cell phone gving his personal insight on the election (this was the weekend after the election). He was basically regurgitating what all the talking heads said but he swore he had special insight. I had to listen to this for 20 minutes and I wanted to die. Imagine a 6 hour flight. And then I had to listen to him talk to his nana.
    I saw this pdf the other day on my daily tech blog surf. Liked it so much I keep some in my wallet...

    Maybe a nice compromise between suppressing rage & actually choking someone.

    tdh
  2. #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by sxtg
    I make my living talking to people, and the self important public gets very irrate if they don't hear a live voice when they decide to grace me with a phone call. I wonder if any of you also complain when you get the voicemail of someone you believe should be at your immediate disposal! The general public has become very impatient and demanding.

    My point is that, as with all issues, there are two sides to the story.

    If I understand this correctly, it means that your calls are important enough that you must answer them regardless of whether it disturbs others around you because it helps you professionally. Perhaps other cell phone users have clients, fans, or customers who would do not like to reach voicemail and leave messages. I think the whole point of this thread is that we should not allows one person's convenience of the moment to impose thier noise on a large, captive audience.
  3. #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperCrackBerry
    If I understand this correctly, it means that your calls are important enough that you must answer them regardless of whether it disturbs others around you because it helps you professionally. Perhaps other cell phone users have clients, fans, or customers who would do not like to reach voicemail and leave messages. I think the whole point of this thread is that we should not allows one person's convenience of the moment to impose thier noise on a large, captive audience.

    No! If you had read my subsequent post you would have realized that my point was that people also need to quit *****ing when they cant reach someone.

    Maybe I don't like to sit by obnoxiously overweight people who smell like BO. Try impossing a law preventing that.

    Everyone's inconveniences are relative.
  4. #24  
    I like the relative peace and quiet that comes form everyone NOT being able to be on the phone all the time on a plane. You can relax , read, work, listen tomusic, watch a movie. Being trapped in a plane with 10s of people is bad enough - add dozens being on the phone constantly and ringers every 3 seconds - it will be pure hell.
  5. #25  
    And I am not advocating the use of cell phones on a plane. Most of the complaints in this thread have been about the use in ANY public area.
  6. #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by sxtg
    No! If you had read my subsequent post you would have realized that my point was that people also need to quit *****ing when they cant reach someone.

    Maybe I don't like to sit by obnoxiously overweight people who smell like BO. Try impossing a law preventing that.

    Everyone's inconveniences are relative.
    Apologies for my tone, I misunderstood you.
    We just have to handle some people being po'd when they can't get what they want right now. I'm tempted to answer my cell whenever, wherever - it's just instictive. After reading this thread I think I'll let some of those go, maybe with a text message for a response.
    I don't care to be stuck next to a body who can't squeeze shower into their schedule once a week... but we needn't knuckle under to 1 annoyance because there are numerous others.
  7. #27  
    This is a big world with lots of people in it. At any given moment someone around you is experiencing something important in thier lives that just might require conversation. As we all know priorities differ amongst individuals. If the goal really is to improve society then I think people should also express a little tolerence. JMHO
  8. #28  
    Personally, I hate ever having my freedom of speech curtailed. I don't like fat people sitting next to me in a plane or stupid people walking in front of me in the terminal. Should we ban them too? I get sick of my civil liberties being usurped by the annoyed minority.

    But I'm also the kind of person who wouldn't sit there jabbering on my cell phone either. I'd just like to check my mail, maybe do a little SMS or IM and have the option to call my ride when the flight's going to be late and save him hanging out in the airport for an hour.

    The practical solution would be to have the flight staff manage loud and annoying callers the same way they manage loud and annoying babies, drunks, deaf old people and the guy with a carry-on the size of a small car- individually as needed.

    Its kind of ironic to hear so many advocates for the banning of cell phones on planes when the main purpose of the Treo is to allow you to communicate in a variety of flavors from anywhere.

    And don't even get me started on home owners organizations...
  9. #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by jasondeno
    Personally, I hate ever having my freedom of speech curtailed. I don't like fat people sitting next to me in a plane or stupid people walking in front of me in the terminal. Should we ban them too? I get sick of my civil liberties being usurped by the annoyed minority.

    But I'm also the kind of person who wouldn't sit there jabbering on my cell phone either. I'd just like to check my mail, maybe do a little SMS or IM and have the option to call my ride when the flight's going to be late and save him hanging out in the airport for an hour.

    The practical solution would be to have the flight staff manage loud and annoying callers the same way they manage loud and annoying babies, drunks, deaf old people and the guy with a carry-on the size of a small car- individually as needed.

    Its kind of ironic to hear so many advocates for the banning of cell phones on planes when the main purpose of the Treo is to allow you to communicate in a variety of flavors from anywhere.

    And don't even get me started on home owners organizations...
    AMEN!

    Loud obnoxious people will always be loud and obnoxious whatever the chosen media.

    I don't like that the big ford with super duty deisel next to me at the stop light is so loud that I cant enjoy my stereo. Should I just assume he has no need for such power and that he only has it because he is a pompus a** hole?
  10. #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by sxtg
    AMEN!

    Loud obnoxious people will always be loud and obnoxious whatever the chosen media.

    I don't like that the big ford with super duty deisel next to me at the stop light is so loud that I cant enjoy my stereo. Should I just assume he has no need for such power and that he only has it because he is a pompus a** hole?
    Looks like we have moved on to tree hugging now. Whoohoo.
  11. Nesta's Avatar
    Posts
    134 Posts
    Global Posts
    139 Global Posts
    #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by tdhood
    I saw this pdf the other day on my daily tech blog surf. Liked it so much I keep some in my wallet...

    Maybe a nice compromise between suppressing rage & actually choking someone.

    tdh
    Hey thanks. I will have to use these. great idea. this way i won't have to worry about jail time or attorney's fees.
  12. #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by kirkeric
    Looks like we have moved on to tree hugging now. Whoohoo.

    NOPE I drive a Gas Guzzling SUV. Not because it guzzles gas but because its convenient and I like it.

    My point was about the noise not the consumption of resources, and frankly I was over emphasizing to make a point.
  13. #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by sxtg
    NOPE I drive a Gas Guzzling SUV. Not because it guzzles gas but because its convenient and I like it.

    My point was about the noise not the consumption of resources, and frankly I was over emphasizing to make a point.
    I am just enjoying this whole line my friend. No harm. Hell, I drive a V8, Landcruiser. Need something to tow my gas guzzling boat to the lake.

    Eric
  14. #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by treojunkie
    http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp..._air_travelers

    It looks like the future holds some promising wireless solutions for air travel.
    http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2003/...?oneclick=true

    It looks like the future holds some promising Darwin Award winners!
  15. #35  
    I am writing this line from a fligth betwee Munich and SFO with a Lufthansa A430. I have been online the whole time. Cost me 30 bucks but it is great. I hope the US Airliners will have it soon. Also Lufthansa has a power supply for a regular PB adapter. No more airplane adapter. Congratulations to Boeing and Lufthansa.
  16. #36  
    I see both sides of this story. Its not that I am so important that I must take calls but I would like to pick up voicemail and return some while in the air. I also have customers that demand quick responses and unfortunatly I don't have the luxury of taking a 3pm flight and snoozing all the way there. If I could do it all my responses via email that would be great as but not everyone uses email or prefers that mode of comunication. On the other hand I truly understand the downside with morons yelling into phones disturbing everyone but there are also morons that take off their shoes with stinky feet, hog the overhead bin, fall asleep and let thier arms legs and drool go where ever.

    I guess since I don't take my shoes off, Check my bags, work quietly and speak softly I would like the ability to make a few phone calls possibly avoiding voicemail trading with customers who get frustrated that Im in the air when they are at work and I respond after they have left.

    Again I truly understand the problems of inconsiderate people and on some levels I don't know that I really want this to happen either but I also know it would save me considerable headaches each week as a business traveler.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions