Page 10 of 18 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415 ... LastLast
    I had the same problem with the Scala LED flashing at night. It kept lighting up the interior of the car. I opened the case and put a piece of black tape over the window for the LED. I just left a tiny portion of the pointed end of the window uncovered. I can still see the light well enough to see the status, but I no longer have a blinking blue beacon attached to my ear.
    I am having a problem with the Scala.

Occasionally, if I make or receive a call and I will hear nothing. The other person can hear me fine. The volume is up. Transferring the call back to the phone and then reconnecting solves the problem.

Has anyone seen this or know a fix?
    To clarify. Without using the mute trick, I can hear loud and clear under most circumstances. If I am in the car with the windows down, I can still hear, but it's borderline. Hitting mute will easily allow me to hear with the car at 65 and the windows down.

The only time I get static is if I'm in the office (with a few wireless networks, other BT devices and a bunch of electronics, or if I'm more than 10 feet away and going through a wall at home.
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    My findings regarding the Logitech Wireless Freedom vs Scala-500

First I bought the Logitech Wireless Freedom BT headset.
    Pros:
    Nice fit
    It sounds ok..just ok. Lots of interference in a heavy 2.4 Ghz environment.
    Decent range
    Decent wind performance

Cons:
    Looks like a dog turd on the side of your face
    Volume level low
    Volume level resets frequently
    No included accessories
    Powers off while charging

I had to re-pair it to my 650 everytime I powered it off until I disabled device name cache.

Then I bought the Scala hoping for better results.
    Pros:
    Lots of included accessories
    Smaller size
    Color scheme matches my Treo 650 almost exactly
    Stylish

Cons:
    Terrible sound quality and poor range. Left pocket / right ear signal weakness very prevailent.
    Loose fit. Feels like it's gonna fall off my ear when I turn my head. Constant adjusting
    Charger base, while a nifty idea, is not really necessary and is actually a nuisance.
    Some calls seem very loud..others are barely audible.

I know the BT headset topics have been belabored excessively, but does anyone have any suggestions about how to improve performance with either headset? I'm ready to sell both and buy something more expensive.
    You can adjust the ear loop on the Scala so it fits very well. I think the range of the Scala is much better than the Jabra that came free with the early 650's...
    Quote Originally Posted by rogerkang
    You can adjust the ear loop on the Scala so it fits very well.
    FWIW I have been using the Scala exclusively with its eyeglasses clip, and that is a very firm fit.
    - Dan Butterfield (dan@butterfields.net)
    + Volume level definitely better than my previous head set (Moto 820)

- Still experiencing popping/crackling sound when on a call.

...will be interested to use it outside and see if the anti-wind technology delivers as advertised.

Overall at this early stage...somewhat better than what I was using before, but it is FAR FROM PERFECT. Granted the problem may lie in the T650 and not the headset, but this still isn't the answer we've been looking for. Not sure if the "best" bluetooth headset exists for the 650 yet. Just my $0.02.
    I already posted in the "Quirks" thread but I just found this one. I got the Scala 500 from ecost.com for $39 shipped and it's been awful. It usually works OK if my Treo is a couple feet away from the headset but that's it. Any further than that and there's so much static neither person can hear the other. Considering all the glowing reviews I e-mailed Cardo and they're sending me an RMA for a replacement unit. Hopefully I'll have better luck with that one.
    Mine still will not allow me to hear the person on the other end about 40% of the time. They are sending me an RMA for a replacement too.
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rogerkang
    You can adjust the ear loop on the Scala so it fits very well...
    True, but the Logitech's ear loop can rotate 360 degrees on two planes. It is a very good design. On the Scala, it is difficult to change the orientation (angle) of the mic in relation to your face even if you sharply bend the ear loop. It just doesn't fit as tight.

I switch back and forth between the Scala and Logitech Wireless Freedom daily and I'm opting on the side of the Logitech. It has much better (but not perfect) sound quality, and although it isn't as loud as the Scala, it is acceptable with BTMute.
    Ok - so I am hunting for the trick to modify an earbud that will work on my scala but I think my eyes are bleeding from going through all these threads. Any ideas?
    My Scala is a Godsend. I am very pleased with mine... I tried 2 other headsets and actually have another on the way that I ordered a few days after I ordered the Scala, and I am loving this Scala too much...

Sprint PCS user since 1999

-=-=-
    Palm IIIC -> Palm M100 -> Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700P -> Treo 755P
    Do I count as a Palm addict if I still have my original Palm IIIC?
    -=-=-
    Praise is what I do...
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by techprincesse
    My Scala is a Godsend. I am very pleased with mine... I tried 2 other headsets and actually have another on the way that I ordered a few days after I ordered the Scala, and I am loving this Scala too much...
    Techprincesse, I'm beginning to get the impression that you like your Scala...LOL.

I kinda like mine too, but the Logitech Cordless Freedom beats it in most categories and is roughly the same price. I wouldn't suggest you get a Logitech since you're so in love with the Scala, but anyone still sitting on the fence about which one to buy should definitely consider the Logitech.
    Casio A10 -> Casio E100 -> IPAQ 3600 -> IPAQ h1910 -> Treo 650 Sprint

www.techyrants.com
    scala-500 ecost.com 35.00 + 3.95 handling = $ 38.95 :-)
    Cardo Scala-500 pcmall.com 35.00 + 0.00 handling = $ 35.00!! Same company, no handling fee and free fedex shipping!

Quote Originally Posted by abarrios
    scala-500 ecost.com 35.00 + 3.95 handling = $ 38.95 :-)

Sprint PCS user since 1999

-=-=-
    Palm IIIC -> Palm M100 -> Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700P -> Treo 755P
    Do I count as a Palm addict if I still have my original Palm IIIC?
    -=-=-
    Praise is what I do...
    Nice!!!
    how does the call pick up speed compare between the HBH-660 and the scala 500?
    I just recieved my Scala 500 today and I would not suggest it to anyone. I too am going to try and have Scala RMA the headset and hopefuly I will luck out.

Right now I can get about 5' with noticable static but you can still hear each other. If I move my phone to my left pocket with righ side headset you start to get constent static. I do realize its wireless and there will be static, but this static is interfering with every phone call I make. Only time it is clear is when I have the phone next to the headset.
    Scala works okay w/ the treo in the absence of any wifi.
    Using a bluetooth dongle (an iogear gbu311 which is bt 1.2), I can roam all around my room and even into the next room using skype and calls are crystal clear..IN the presence of wifi....So the culprit is definitely the Treo's bt....

once I get the jabra bt800, I'll see if the range improves even more, since then both the dongle and the headset will be bt 1.2....
    Quote Originally Posted by techprincesse
    Cardo Scala-500 pcmall.com 35.00 + 0.00 handling = $ 35.00!! Same company, no handling fee and free fedex shipping!
    techprincess - thanks for the tip.

I ordered mine last week and have tried to use it as much as I could in various situations over the last 3 days. So far, I'm very happy with it. Volume is loud enough (for me anyway) - although a little iffy with the top down. Call pickup speed is good (nearly always before the first ring), and I can get about 15 feet away before the static is overwhelming. Very comfortable and stays in place well. It is so light though, that I can understand other's comments about it feeling like it would fall out anytime.

I don't have much to compare it against. The only other one I've tried was the JustWireless BT headset I got for free. It was completely worthless - connection was slow and not reliable and max distance was about 3 feet.

Judging from the posts, YMMV. For me, the mileage has been great.
Page 10 of 18 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415 ... LastLast