Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob600
    I guess I'm just in a cynical mood tonight, but I expect the folks that were up in arms have all moved on and found something else that is the "worst decision ever" today and will probably have another one for tomorrow.
    ShadowMite has gone and proved that PalmOne could have done it in probably about 1/10th the time (2-3 days) with their source code and resources. That's what people were up in arms about. Take two days (of one developer's time) of the whole two years since wifi was promised and put together some drivers.

If anything people are more up in arms about it now, because we know that PalmOne could have done it. Before we move from wi-fi, we need to recognize it is still far from solved. It has to work in a way that doesn't require a hard reset (pretty much a deal breaker for most people to use this) and it has to work with Blazer (it currently doesn't because Blazer is tied in the phone, much like the things reverse DUN has (had?) come across). If we (ShadowMite and friends) can cross that bridge, we can move on and look at other ways to improve the Treo's functions as dramatically as wifi.
    As far as getting around the blazer proxy, that's easy. The guys that are hacking the treo 650 for verizon can tell you how to accomplish that one. Just remove the proxies from the phone... But you need the MSL code, or to hack the filez (which now have a large DB so I can't patch it easily and reinstall)...

As for the hard reset, that's now top priority, with the 600 version driver on the backburner for a little bit.
    Hmmm, I'll have to look at those guys hacking the Treo 650 for Verizon. The catch is that I probably want to still have the option of the proxy and just disabling it (manually) for wifi. However, that's just me being extremely greedy. If nothing else, I could probably buy another browser that would work for when I want to browse with wifi.

I agree that the hard reset is key. Otherwise I guess we'd have to live off the SD card and that's difficult as I'm not sure the archiving is particularly easy without a Backman or something like that. I might just need to look into it more as backing things up shouldn't be difficult.
    If you get your MSL code, changing the proxy back and forth is easy. use the ##code ##data# and find the browser settings... If changed to zero's it's removed, otherwise it's there...
  5.    #25  
    I love the new title!
    Quote Originally Posted by bmacfarland
    Hmmm, I'll have to look at those guys hacking the Treo 650 for Verizon. The catch is that I probably want to still have the option of the proxy and just disabling it (manually) for wifi. However, that's just me being extremely greedy. If nothing else, I could probably buy another browser that would work for when I want to browse with wifi.

I agree that the hard reset is key. Otherwise I guess we'd have to live off the SD card and that's difficult as I'm not sure the archiving is particularly easy without a Backman or something like that. I might just need to look into it more as backing things up shouldn't be difficult.
    BackupMan provides one-button backup and restore (for the most part).
    Quote Originally Posted by skfny
    BackupMan provides one-button backup and restore (for the most part).

Yup... as a short term solution, why not just create a wifi backup set with Backupman and then a 'normal' backup set. Thus when you want to use wifi, just restore to the wifi backup set and then restore back to the normal set when you're done!

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
  8.    #28  
    NEVER thought of that - GREAT IDEA....
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic
    Yup... as a short term solution, why not just create a wifi backup set with Backupman and then a 'normal' backup set. Thus when you want to use wifi, just restore to the wifi backup set and then restore back to the normal set when you're done!
    Hmmm, I never had Backupman before (never really needed it), but that's pretty interesting if it's a just a few presses away. I thought Backupman had issues on the Treo 650 with the NVFS? I guess that's been fixed.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmacfarland
    Hmmm, I never had Backupman before (never really needed it), but that's pretty interesting if it's a just a few presses away. I thought Backupman had issues on the Treo 650 with the NVFS? I guess that's been fixed.
    You have to make sure you get the latest beta which reportedly works fine on the 650...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    The "for the most part" disclaimer: I (and others) have had problems restoring our datebook DB and other various databases from perfectly-backed up datasets (using BackupMan and other backup software). In no way do I think this is related to BackupMan. (It's probably P1's fault for the way they handle the PIM DBs). I had to revert to an older backup and bring my datebook and memo pad up to date.
    Did anyone do a dslreports speed test on it yet?

Pls post to let us know speeds.

thx!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12