Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    hi! i know this is probably not the most popular thing to say on this board, but i am looking for some advice. i purchased my treo 650 a week or so ago, primarily for email.. i am a gadget fan, but not a power user (contacts, schedule only PIM features I use). The treo 650 has, so far, been awful with email. sending, even through sprint's server, takes as long as 1 minutes sometimes.. i frequently compose emails while walking and i have to stop and stare at the treo to make sure it finally goes through (which it often doesnt).

I am thinking of switching to the blackberry 7750 from sprint. i will be using the blackberry web client and was hoping someone could help me with two questions:
    1. is sending faster than with the treo?
    2. will emails sent from my blackberry list my reply to address in the "from" field? with sprint's server, mail i send shows up as "sent from xxx@sprintpcs.com on behalf of xxx@comcast.net... very sloppy looking"

thank you!!!!
    Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    I am thinking about doing the same... Anyone use the 7750 care to comment??

Thanks in advance!
    Blackberry forum would be a good place to ask. I do think bb is much better for emailing.
    Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    My problem is not with the 650 email.. I actually love the 650 except for the phone. I NEED the phone function to work.. Even with Shadowmite patych it is hit and miss..

I use Sprint BC for email and it works like a champ....
    Are you insane? Sorry; The blackberry service is coming to the treo by mid 2005. Sprint BC isn't bad if set up properly.

The Treo my friend is expandable via sd memory card slot. This is where the blackberry chokes and dies.

Yikes.........not more much to say; blackberry service for the Treo too? No brainer there!
    The issue here is not Treo, but rather the email service/application. If you want true push email, try services like Good, Seven, Visto....
    Why don't you give Snappermail a try?

I use it and it works GREAT! I have about 12 accounts on it and it handles them all very well. It has HTML support, URL linking, Email linking, Phone number linking, different Header Modes: Short, long and full, Attachments:
    (filenames displayed inline, hot tappable, open with application, ("Send" Exchange Manager Scheme), Beam (IrOBEX), Save to memory card)), Font support, unlimited message size, POP3, IMAP4, SMTP, SSL, full color, Hi-Res, use of the 5 way navigator, fullsize keyboard compatible, and scheduled pulling of emails (I have mine set for every hour, but can go as low as every 5 min), etc..........

The list goes on and on.

Free trial to see how you like it. You never know, it may just save your Treo.
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdole42
    I am thinking of switching to the blackberry 7750 from sprint. i will be using the blackberry web client and was hoping someone could help me with two questions:
    2. will emails sent from my blackberry list my reply to address in the "from" field? with sprint's server, mail i send shows up as "sent from xxx@sprintpcs.com on behalf of xxx@comcast.net... very sloppy looking"

thank you!!!!
    bobdole - The BB 7750 will give you more reliable email than the Treo - but there is a prerequisite: To get true push email from your corporate mail server, your company must be running the Blackberry Enterprise Server. BES is what differentiates Blackberry devices from the other devices. If your company does not run BES, then your email functionality will be pretty much like the Treo.
    b) If your mail server is behind a firewall or needs a VPN connection, explore the Sprint Business Connection service. The Personal Edition will require that you keep your office PC up all the time with the BC client running on it. Your PC must pull in your email as it does - using an Exchange or Lotus Notes mail server. You can configure your BC client to notify you on the Treo when new mail arrives, and use the BC Palm client to manage email on your Treo. Your "From" address on outgoing emails will be the same as what you would have on your office PC.
    c) If your mail server is directly accessible use Versamail or Snappermail or other Palm based email clients to receive and send email.
    http://www.blackberryforums.com/ for info on blackberries.

i would only give the blackberries a slight edge on email over the treo and that is if you have bes. Out of box with bes, you will love the experience. the price for the newest blackberry is hard to beat too. if you dont have bes, your mail is instant when they use the email address assigned to the blackberry, but all other email account are polled (about every 20 minutes (you cant configure this)).

with some added software, you make the treo into a blackberry.

btw, if documents are important, you can open/read office docs, but to edit/create you will need a third party app that cost $100+ (depending on what you want to do).
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    The treo 650 has, so far, been awful with email. sending, even through sprint's server, takes as long as 1 minutes sometimes.. i frequently compose emails while walking and i have to stop and stare at the treo to make sure it finally goes through (which it often doesnt).

thank you!!!!
    I'll put my 2 cents in here. Since my experience with the Treo650 and e-mail is so different than yours (it works well for me), I was trying to think of what was different about our ussage patterns. One thing that I think might really be much of the problem is your use of the sprint servers. In my experience with the Treo line (Treo300, 600, 650 all with sprint) and sprint, the worst thing you can do is to rely on the sprint mail servers. If possible, try a service like www.fastmail.fm etc that has reliable server and that might make all the difference. Oh and last but not least, it doesn't hurt to use a reliable client like snappermail.
    Global Posts
    91 Global Posts
    hi! i know this is probably not the most popular thing to say on this board, but i am looking for some advice. i purchased my treo 650 a week or so ago, primarily for email.. i am a gadget fan, but not a power user (contacts, schedule only PIM features I use). The treo 650 has, so far, been awful with email. sending, even through sprint's server, takes as long as 1 minutes sometimes.. i frequently compose emails while walking and i have to stop and stare at the treo to make sure it finally goes through (which it often doesnt).

thank you!!!!
    FYI, I have been use a 7750 for my work e-mail the past few weeks and at least compared to other Blackberry models, the 7750 is SLOW. It seems like everything I do takes a second or two to take effect and it can be very frustrating when you get familar and know your way around the device. Keep this in mind before getting a 7750. The pauses were not as bad after I upgraded to handheld to version 4.0(the latest version), but they are still evident. Also, there is considerably less ram in the 7750(14MB vs 32MB) than many other Blackberry devices from other carriers, so there is less room on the device for long-term e-mail storage.

I would personally use ActiveSync on the 650 using VersaMail if you have the option with an Exchange server that is open to the Internet.
    I cannot recommend highly enough Chatter Email on the 650 with an IMAP server that supports the Idle command. It is a true Push email solution for the 650 with the best customer support in the biz (from Marc Blank). The program works beautifully on the 650.
    If you are looking for a reliable e-mail device, either in an exchange environment or desktop client, the blackberry is the best on the market. The web client is a bit slow but the desktop client is as fast as BES now. I keep both the treo 650 and a blackberry 7290. I use the Blackberry for email and the treo for phone and everything else.
  14.    #14  
    thank you to everyone for all of the replies. I finally tried Chatter and love it; I am keeping the Treo 650. I still find the unit disappointing as a phone, but email is great with Chatter.
    Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    My only problem with the 650 is the phone... I have no home phone and need the phone to work... I do love the 650 and as pointed out here it is a better device than the 7750....

I use the 650 to check my home and work email using Sprint BC... Works great, no complaints!

I use the 650 for SMS.... Works great, no complaints....

I have no issues or problems with resets.... My 650 works like a champ..!

I have no memory problems... I have several apps installed and still have 11.7M free on the unit...

My only problem is that I really need the phone to work. This is a must have function for me... If the phone worked I would never consider leaving the 650 because I really do love it!

I guess I will wait a few weeks and see if P1 releases the official fix and then will have to see it the fix actually works... If they do not release it soon then I have no option but to get a system that has a working phone on it...

Thanks for all the comments!!!
    Your phone function does not work?
    WOW!
    I bought a treo because I wanted to send email, and get online while traveling.

How is it that Blackberry and Palm has made such a simple thing so complicated and unreliable?
    Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by coolemt
    Your phone function does not work?
    Yes the phone works but it cuts in and out and half the time I spend repeating myself or not able to understand the other person... It's a real pain since I do not have a home phone and use the cell quite a bit. I am pretty simple.. I want email, sms, and a functional phone...

The 650 covers email and SMS just fine but it really fails as a phone so far and I really NEED the phone to work... It's not an option for me to have a system where the phone quality lacks...

I am thinking about the BlackBerry 7100T from Tmobile.... Or the 7750 from Sprint...
    Well sry to hear that about phone. I live in California with no problems at all.
  20.    #20  
    I have been having phone problems too. The newest one is the unit rebooting when I hit "answer". I am going to exchange it for another 650 tomorrow and see if that helps.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast