Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    2. will emails sent from my blackberry list my reply to address in the "from" field? with sprint's server, mail i send shows up as "sent from xxx@sprintpcs.com on behalf of xxx@comcast.net... very sloppy looking"
    Doesn't comcast allow you to use their smtp servers to send from? I've set up Outlook Express and Thunderbird to send via Comcast's SMTP without issue. Here's a page that may help: http://www.snappermail.com/support/isp.cfm#60

I use snappermail with my 600, and just use my earthlink's smtp to send all my mail from various domains with no problemo. From what I've seen and heard of Sprint's smtp setup, I wouldn't waste my time if I have alternatives, and if you have Comcast I believe you have an alternative.
    Treo 755s in good condition available on ebay for $50-$75. No need to pay for insurance or buy a Pre.
    I have the Blackberry 7290 With Cingular and the phone, email, sms and syncing with Outlook are fantastic. However, I am a gadget person (though somewhat unsophisiticated) and am anxiously awaiting the Treo 650. I certainly hope and expect the phone service to be better with Cingular, but if it gives me problems I will have to go back to the 7290. The thing just works great.
    Quote Originally Posted by LunkHead
    Yes the phone works but it cuts in and out and half the time I spend repeating myself or not able to understand the other person... ...
    That is Exactly why I got rid of all the GSM 600's our company was using. The bells & whistles are great but if it wont function as a reliable phone its just a toy... In talking with the cingular of Illinois Data salesrep He claims that the reason the GSM version isnt out yet is due to an antena problem that the AT&T engineers found (Weak/Eratic) ... I'm waiting...
    i have both a blackberry and treo 600

first off, dont get the 7750, the new BT enabled BB for CDMA should be out shortly.

Secondly the BB is a sick device, however all it will do, is email and smsing (texting). Everything else belongs to the treo. So much so, that i am going back to my treo 600, and i will have my BB 7100r as my backup, feel free to ask more questions.

tomorrow when i get back to ottawa, i will get my treo 600 fired up, and for my email purposes i am going to get snappermail 2.0 (not before i do a trial run) and see what it can do for me and my SMTP account.
    Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    I picked up a 7100T today and have 2 weeks to try it out... So far after several calls everyone says I sound like I am on a land line... I plan on keeping the 650 for the 2 week trial period and then will have to decide which to keep... So far the 7100 is pretty sweet and the phone WORKS!

Thanks for all the help.... Anyone need a 650???
    Hi!

I owned a 7750 with Verizon, and didn't care for it. I'm a screen resolution nut, and it was just too dim for me.

Then I bought a 7100t, and wow. That is blackberry to get if you want a blackberry. It has a gorgeous screen, and the "sure type" keyboard takes about 5 minutes to get used to, and then it works great. My only issue with the blackberrys, however, is that you can only reply from ONE email account. I have 5 different POP 3's, and sometimes it isn't appropriate to reply, say, from my kung fu school address when my regular job has sent an urgent email.

So while I've kept the 7100t, I use my Treo 650 almost all the time. Snappermail works great and checks email every 10 minutes. I can also reply from whichever account received the email. I love the games, ringtones, camera, ebooks, DVD captures...etc. I've been a treo user since they came out, and with a couple of exceptions (no wifi, memory) they got it right this time.

If you need instant email access and that's the MAIN thing - get a Blackberry. However, if you fancy the ultimate swiss army knife of smart phones - Treo is for you.

Cheers!
    LZ
    That's me in the photo - you can check out my kung fu school at http://www.kungfuschool.org
    Quote Originally Posted by LunkHead
    I picked up a 7100T today and have 2 weeks to try it out... So far after several calls everyone says I sound like I am on a land line... I plan on keeping the 650 for the 2 week trial period and then will have to decide which to keep... So far the 7100 is pretty sweet and the phone WORKS!

Thanks for all the help.... Anyone need a 650???
    Just curious, who is your wireless carrier? Is it Sprint?
    Hi Rome -

Don't want to speak for LunkHead (boy that sounded bad), but I think the 7100t is only available on T-Mobile or Vodaphone. The 650 is only out on Sprint right now.

Cheers!
    LZ
    That's me in the photo - you can check out my kung fu school at http://www.kungfuschool.org
    Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    Sprint is my provider for the 650 and T-Mobile is now the provider on the 7100T....

The more I play with it the more I like it..

I am NOT trying to compare it with the 650... I think the 650 wins hands down... For my needs, a phone that works (first) , Email (second), and SMS (third) the 7100T is so far perfect!

We will see as I have 2 weeks to decide with the tmobile return if not happy thing....
    Quote Originally Posted by LZMutant
    Hi Rome -

Don't want to speak for LunkHead (boy that sounded bad), but I think the 7100t is only available on T-Mobile or Vodaphone. The 650 is only out on Sprint right now.

Cheers!
    LZ
    The 7100t is only from TMobile, the 7100v is from Vodafone, the 7100r is from Rogers....coming soon is the 7100g from Cingular....all are GSM
    I had a 7100t for a couple of weeks and didnt like it. The main reason is because you cant see the screen at all if your outside.
    Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman
    I had a 7100t for a couple of weeks and didnt like it. The main reason is because you cant see the screen at all if your outside.
    No problems with that yet, just turn up the contrast a bit.... So far I love it, suits my needs very well!

Anyone want a 650? I am thinking $250 for it.... It's in mint condition with the following registered apps...

--ZLauncher
    --SplashMoney
    --SplashID
    --Card Export II
    --Tetris
    --Monopoly
    --PocketTunes Deluxe
    --Backupbuddy VFS
    --Mobile DB

It also comes with the 128MB SD card that P1 sent me...

PM me if interested
    No problems with that yet, just turn up the contrast a bit.... So far I love it, suits my needs very well!

hmm...I tried playing around with all the screen settings and if it was sunny out, the screen was completely washed out.

Also, I found the OS to be quite slow, the phone volume to be to low, the browser was awful, and most of all I just found the phone kind of boring compared to my treo 650.

also, I wondering what blackberry apps your going to get to replace all of those other apps you had loaded on your 650?
    Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mobileman
    hmm...I tried playing around with all the screen settings and if it was sunny out, the screen was completely washed out.

Also, I found the OS to be quite slow, the phone volume to be to low, the browser was awful, and most of all I just found the phone kind of boring compared to my treo 650.

also, I wondering what blackberry apps your going to get to replace all of those other apps you had loaded on your 650?
    I have not had the chance to play with it in bright sun... Ahhhh how I wish it was summer...

Yes the OS is a bit slow but it is very, very stable so it's a bit of a trade off... Yes the browser does lack but it is usable for my purposes... The phone volume blows my ears out set at 75% and the speaker phone is better than the 650's.. Compared to the 650 the 7100 is a very boring phone.. But the phone actually works and works well...

Yes I will miss all the apps from my 650 but it's a trade off I need to make.. I need a phone that works first and foremost. Next is email and the BlackBerry blows away the 650 for email.... SMS on either is pretty similar...

The BlackBerry works very, very well for what it is intended for.. A phone, email, sms.. The WAP browser is usable at best but does not even compare to the browser on the 650

Having said all that... I still think the 650 smokes the 7100 overall... I loved my 650 but it is just not ready to meet my needs. If the problems are fixed at a later time that will make it usable for me then I will gladly get another one...
    be careful LunkHead. Unfortunately that was the first 7100 to be released, and well a lot of t-mobile customers apparently are not all that pleased with the bugs inside the machine.

EDIT: Oh yeah, how much text input do you do. Suretype is great dont get me wrong, however once you learn to type faster and faster (like me), the processor will lag, and well it will become annoying....furthermore, its really hard to edit when compared to the treo...
    the treo's are pretty stable when just using the included app too.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdole42
    hi! i know this is probably not the most popular thing to say on this board, but i am looking for some advice. i purchased my treo 650 a week or so ago, primarily for email.. i am a gadget fan, but not a power user (contacts, schedule only PIM features I use). The treo 650 has, so far, been awful with email. sending, even through sprint's server, takes as long as 1 minutes sometimes.. i frequently compose emails while walking and i have to stop and stare at the treo to make sure it finally goes through (which it often doesnt).

I am thinking of switching to the blackberry 7750 from sprint. i will be using the blackberry web client and was hoping someone could help me with two questions:
    1. is sending faster than with the treo?
    2. will emails sent from my blackberry list my reply to address in the "from" field? with sprint's server, mail i send shows up as "sent from xxx@sprintpcs.com on behalf of xxx@comcast.net... very sloppy looking"

thank you!!!!
    What are you using to email? I have had no problems with Versamail, maybe it is the Sprint Network? Either something with the Palm on thier network, or just a data problem in general on Sprint's network, or your Sprint's network in your market? I don't know, I don't have Sprint, but I have no problems with Versamail. I am using it to access mail on my .mac (Apple Computer's email service) accounts. Have you tried Sprint tech support?
    Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    No problems yet and I have been pushing it to the limits for 2 days.... I have the new OS installed (3.8.0.128) so that might make a difference... If I go to BlackBerry boards I really do not see a whole lot of questions regarding problems.. The Q's are mainly about how to do things... I have yet to see any bugs but if you would be kind enough to point some out for me I will keep an eye out for them...

So far I am very pleased with the 7100... The text input takes a bit to get use to but I am catching on quick... I hunt and peck on the PC, really hunt and peck on the 650 so hunting and pecking on the 7100 is no different for me... Speed is not my middle name when you put any kind of keyboard in front of me... LOL.....

A quick recap of the 7100T...

BlackBerry 7100:
    Pros
    --Awesome as a phone, I mean really awesome! Landline quality all the time!
    --Awesome email, flat out blows the 650 clean out of the water!
    --Nice SMS
    --Very stable OS
    Cons:
    --Can't use apps (Palm PDA function(s)) like on the 650
    --650 has a better screen res
    --No touch screen on 7100
    --650 has better battery life

I will play with them some more but right now my decision is to stick with the 7100.... Not that it is better mind you, it just meets my basic needs better.... I.e... Phone, email and SMS.....

Quote Originally Posted by hofo_mofo
    be careful LunkHead. Unfortunately that was the first 7100 to be released, and well a lot of t-mobile customers apparently are not all that pleased with the bugs inside the machine.

EDIT: Oh yeah, how much text input do you do. Suretype is great dont get me wrong, however once you learn to type faster and faster (like me), the processor will lag, and well it will become annoying....furthermore, its really hard to edit when compared to the treo...
    Last edited by LunkHead; 01/04/2005 at 01:34 AM.
    ^lol okay

if you have any questions man, PM me...and if you want check out http://www.blackberryforums.com further more if you want the other themes for the the 7100x series, PM me your email addy and i will send them off to you

do me a favour...pair up a BT headset to your 7100t...tell me if you BB locks up and restarts...its a very common error, but some t-mobile people dont get that problem

also, another common problem is the speakerphone...check it out with someone on the other end to make sure
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast