1.    #1  
    I have been researching and experimenting for almost the last week to try and get my new Treo 650 to sync with my Outlook inbox email, and have been unsuccessful. I am synching Contacts, Notes, everything else, ok.

I can use Versamail to check my email from my ISPs POP server with no problems. However, since the email is automatically downloaded into Outlook 2002 when my computer is on and connected to the network, it grabs the email before Versamail (which would be ok if I could sync with my Outlook inbox). Besides, I only want to have Versamail get the email when I'm on the road or my computer is off, and then have it download into my computer when it is back online again.

My problem is, I want to be able to carry around a copy of my Outlook emails for reference when I am not at my pc, or when I am on the road and unable to hook my laptop up.

Is anyone able to provide any suggestions or insight into how to do this? I have the appropriate checkboxes to sync with Outlook inbox, etc. enabled in Versamail setup already, but they don't seem to make a difference.

I went into HotSync Manager, and looked at the conduits there, and I don't see one for Outlook - Inbox or anything like that, although the ones for Outlook - Contacts, Notes, Tasks, etc. are all there and working.

Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.
    You may need to reinstall Versamail. You should be able to see a Versamail conduit in the Hotsync program on your desktop. I've gotten syncing to work only 1-way, however. When I retrieve emails from my Treo and then sync, they do not appear on my Outlook desktop. It works the other way around. I've been trying to figure this out and palmOne has not been much help. I've also posted in the "Communications" area and am waiting for anyone who can help.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by acousticbiker
    You may need to reinstall Versamail. You should be able to see a Versamail conduit in the Hotsync program on your desktop. I've gotten syncing to work only 1-way, however. When I retrieve emails from my Treo and then sync, they do not appear on my Outlook desktop. It works the other way around. I've been trying to figure this out and palmOne has not been much help. I've also posted in the "Communications" area and am waiting for anyone who can help.
    I have already installed Versamail and reinstalled it twice (for a total of 3 times). I do see the Versamail conduit in Hotsync manager, and when I go into the Advanced settings for the conduit, the checkboxes are checked to sync the Outlook Inbox and Outbox. However, it doesn't. It does force a check of the email through the POP account, but nothing is brought in from my Outlook Inbox or Outbox into the Treo. Ever. If I check the POP account from the Treo, it brings in the mail into it fine. If I then sync, it does not put the Treo mail into Outlook, however, Outlook will at that time download the email from the POP server.
    Apparently Versamail will not Sync with Outlook Inbox unless your using Exchange.

I found the following solution regarding syncing a Treo with Outlook inbox.
    1. Install the Palm Mail application from the Intellisync site.
    http://www.sync.com/support/isupdates.html

2. Install the trial version of Intellisync handheld edition.
    http://www.intellisync.com/go/produc...rial/index.cfm

3. Install the Intellisync Handheld Edition-Palm Handheld Patch from: http://www.sync.com/support/isupdates.html. If you do not do this, It will not work properly with Hotsync Manager 6.0

4. Run the Intellisync Palm Configuration application and set it to sync with MS Outlook.

This solution will require you to eventually purchase Intellisync. I personally prefer a more robust mail application than Palm Mail but I am very happy that my Treo 650 will now sync with Outlook inbox.

I am going to test Agendus Mail and the entire Agendus Professional Suite found at http://www.iambic.com/. It is suppose to sync with Outlook, POP, and provides the conduit in one program.
    Quote Originally Posted by gulfislander
    Apparently Versamail will not Sync with Outlook Inbox unless your using Exchange.

I found the following solution regarding syncing a Treo with Outlook inbox.
    1. Install the Palm Mail application from the Intellisync site.
    http://www.sync.com/support/isupdates.html

2. Install the trial version of Intellisync handheld edition.
    http://www.intellisync.com/go/produc...rial/index.cfm

3. Install the Intellisync Handheld Edition-Palm Handheld Patch from: http://www.sync.com/support/isupdates.html. If you do not do this, It will not work properly with Hotsync Manager 6.0

4. Run the Intellisync Palm Configuration application and set it to sync with MS Outlook.

This solution will require you to eventually purchase Intellisync. I personally prefer a more robust mail application than Palm Mail but I am very happy that my Treo 650 will now sync with Outlook inbox.

I am going to test Agendus Mail and the entire Agendus Professional Suite found at http://www.iambic.com/. It is suppose to sync with Outlook, POP, and provides the conduit in one program.
    I have been able to sync my Treo 650 and Outlook Inboxes one-way (any mail I retrieved in Outlook will appear in Versamail with a Hotsync, but no the other way around). Anyone able to get the "other way around" to work?
    Set outlook to leave copy of message on the pop3 server. That way they are still there when versamail checks for new mail. It's in the advanced tab of your incoming mail server properties in the account setup.

I'm using outlook w/out exchange server and it syncs fine, at least pc to palm. Not sure about the other way around but with my setup it doesnt really matter.
    I have been experiencing exactly the same problem as STARIDER7 - ie. can send/receive emails no problem from T650 but no sync with Outlook 2003..

Someone suggested that Versamail won't sync inbox/outbox unless you are using Exchange Server - I know this is not the case for 2 reasons; firstly the Versamail conduit has an option "Enable Hotsync Synchronization" with "Inbox" and "Outbox" individually selectable, plus it worked fine for me for about the first day then quit.

I've done some research and apparently there's a "Folders" tab which appears in the "Advanced" dialog - however this is only accessible when synchronizing with Exchange Server, and allows folders other than Inbox/Outbox (eg. Sent Items) to be sync'd. It would appear that sync'ing with Inbox/Outbox in MS Outlook simply doesn't work, or at least not for a lot of people judging by the volume of whinging taking place. Btw, I've also tried deleting & recreating all the accounts, purging my T650, wiping & reinstalling the PalmOne software, all to no avail..

I've determined from other threads that on the "Advanced Settings" dialog it says "Desktop Connection : Direct POP Connection to Server" - apparently this sometimes has options which you can select, though it never has for me. If anyone has any thoughts, I'd love to hear them.. Thanx!
    Actually vertsyeux, you don't have it right.

The Inbox/Outbox checks are there for all accounts. Inbox means get messages from the server/store inbox during a sync. Outbox simply means to send any mail found in the outbox of the handheld account during the sync process - no matter what the protocol is.

If you want to sync with your Inbox in Outlook, Outlook must be using an exchange server. If your account in Outlook is POP or IMAP, the connection to the POP or IMAP server will be used directly subverting Outlook. The 'Folders' tab is only visible if your account is getting mail via MAPI (Outlook), direct IMAP or through Lotus Notes. If it isn't there you are either using SMAPI (Outlook Express/Eudora) or direct POP.

As for the Desktop Connection having options it does ONLY if you have a connection type of Lotus, Outlook, Outlook Express and the option is to use Direct POP to get your mail.
    dang, your comment regarding Outlook and Exchange is not true. I use Outlook to retrieve from a POP server (Gmail) and am able to sync to Versamail (but only one way: desktop to handheld. For some reason, messages retreived by Versamail are not synced to the desktop).
    Hey Dang, I'm not convinced. When I first installed the PalmOne software, it transferred the 30 or so emails to my T650 from my Outlook 2003 inbox - I tried deleting a couple and resync'ing - they were gone from the handheld, plus as new emails came into Outlook they transferred to my T650 - just like my IVx, 515 & Zire 72 always did without incident. All this functionality simply stopped; a lot of other people have reported the same. It definitely should sync directly with Outlook, you don't need a MAPI server; the Palm docx say so...
    vertsyeux, tell you what mate. Open up the sync.ini file for your profile (C:\Program Files\palmOne\[Username]\sync.ini) and set the following values under the VersaMail section - Enable Logging and Log Debug. A log file is generated under your VersaMail directory (C:\Program Files\palmOne\[Username]\VersaMail\Versamail.log) during the next and consecutive syncs after that. Post the results.

If what you've stated - you set up a POP account in Outlook and you set it to sync with Outlook - is true AND the sync shows it as being an Outlook sync instead of a POP sync I'll eat my laptop!!

Previous versions of VersaMail wouldn't even sync that type account. The version with the 650(only) allows the account set up but sets the desktop connection field (look at the UI on the general tab for VM conduit) to Direct POP.
    Hi Dang.. I've never had to specifically create accounts in Versamail.. As long as I can remember, the Palm's mail programs have simply backed up my Outlook inbox to the palm's inbox whenever I hotsync'ed so I can take copies of flight/hotel reservations etc. with me.. - I could also create emails, save them in the Palm's outbox, and they would be sent or stored in Outlook's outbox depending on conduit settings I seem to recall.. Palm used a 3rd party conduit program in those days..

When I got my first bluetooth Tungsten & phone, all the same functionalilty was there, however I could now also send & receive emails directly from the Palm. Emails had to be left on the server for subsequent collection by Outlook but I know emails were never duplicated on either the Palm or Outlook, and once I removed or deleted an email from Outlook's inbox, it was removed automatically from the Palm's inbox on the next hotsync.

I had a Zire 72 for the past 6 months (this used Versamail & Palm's own Outlook conduit). This worked exactly the same as the Tungsten, only it was a nicer device and the digitizer didn't keep decalibrating. After upgrading from this to my Treo 650 two weeks ago, Versamail automatically sychronized to Outlook as every other Palm I've owned had done - I even tried removing something from Outlook's inbox to confirm that deletions were being sync'd - they were. I then went into the account settings in Versamail and set up for sending & receiving from the Treo itself. As far as I know, it was still sync'ing to Outlook's inbox at this point, maybe it wasn't. It definitely isn't now...

Now, it actually says it's doing a direct POP when I watch it hotsyncing. Btw, I tried installing Intellisync and that causes more problems.. I had to manually switch off the standard Palm conduit elements linking to Outlook before it would sync at all.. When I got it working, Intellisync seemed to work fine but still no inbox sync'ing so I used add/remove programs to remove Intellisync and hotsync'ing failed altogether. Moreover, when I inserted the original Sprint/PalmOne CD, it told me my installation was invalid so I cou'dn't switch to Palm-only sync'ing and back again like I'd hoped to.

So yet another re-install later, and still no closer to getting my Outlook inbox syncing to Versamail. It wouldn't bother me that much, except it's a very useful feature of the Palm to be able to read emails on the plane and have instant access to reservation info, addresses etc. without having to ensure that they are collected by Versamail first..

You seem to know about this.. what do you think??
    Cheers
    Hey....

So there used to be the Palm Mail app. That app gave you some access to your mail but strictly through HotSync.... no wireless capability. Now I came on the Palm scene when Palm itself supplied the mail conduits to work with thier mail app so I'm not sure who would have provided it before then.

Anyway, along came the i705 and the Palm Mail app came to end of life and MultiMail (soon to be VersaMail) became the standard shipping mail app for Palms devices. Now I'm certain here of one thing. If the account in Outlook was set up with a MAPI profile then the VersaMail conduit would work as you explain. If it was set up as an Internet Mail account it would fail - typically with some cryptic message that was difficult to decipher what was wrong.

In the latest version of VersaMail the app is updated to detect that the profile chosen in Outlook is an internet mail account or not. If not, then it syncs directly with Outlook. If it is an internet mail account type it syncs with the specified internet mail protocol (POP or IMAP).

So in short, re-installation is not going to help get this working but it will raise your blood pressure a bit ;-)

On another note, the Palm Desktop actually has a component in there to stop syncrhonization if there are mismatching conduits for the same application. In your case this was Intellisync. It's because Intellisync typically registers for the legacy Datebook, Address Book, etc. applications where the palmOne conduits use the latest (Calendar, Contacts, etc.). The reason the sync is stopped for you is so that you don't duplicate contacts or any other data that the conduits would sync (as would happen if both conduits were allowed to run each sync).

Hope this helps,

Dang