1.    #1  
    since the 650 is out and the Siemens sx 66 is leaking out now, i was just wondering if anyone here has had a chance to play with both or had a chance to compare the two?
    Naveen

Current:Cingular 8525 w/Faria R32

Next Phone:
    Something from HTC because Palm sucks, so I want a Touch Pro, Touch HD, or a Treo Pro.
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    I have the same question... has anyone tried the Siemens? Or what do people think based on the paper specs? I have a T600 with Cingular now and want to upgrade to a new phone in the next month or so... and I was planning on going to the T650, but now the SX66 looks interesting.

It looks like the SX66 is about 1/2 inch wider and taller, but slightly thinner, and a bit heavier (about 1+ oz) so the size difference is not trivial, but not a killer either.

The big differences seems to be WiFi out of the box, processor speed and operating system. Additionally the resolution on the SX66 is 240x320 vs. 320x320... don't know how big a deal that is, but coming from a T600, either is better, right?

I really, really, really like my T600 and think the form factor is great, but WiFi is getting to be a bigger and bigger thing for me. What does everyone think?
  3. jda
    I've tried the VX6000 which is the Verizon CDMA version of the SX-66. I thought it was just too big to carry around every day. It's not a pocket-friendly device. Also I've become hooked on the 5-way navigate on the Treos so it's really hard to go back to using a stylus. The screen on the 650 is definitely nicer but the sx-66 is larger so I'd say they are about even. Let me know if you have any specific questions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder God
    since the 650 is out and the Siemens sx 66 is leaking out now, i was just wondering if anyone here has had a chance to play with both or had a chance to compare the two?
    I am a Treo 600 user and loved the phone, but switched to the 6601. Here are my thoughts between the two:

Innocent 650 vs 6601 Business Trip Showdown

and

Using 6601 On the Road for Week.....

I hope this helps. Please feel free to ask any questions.

I've tried the VX6000 which is the Verizon CDMA version of the SX-66. I thought it was just too big to carry around every day. It's not a pocket-friendly device. Also I've become hooked on the 5-way navigate on the Treos so it's really hard to go back to using a stylus. The screen on the 650 is definitely nicer but the sx-66 is larger so I'd say they are about even. Let me know if you have any specific questions.
    I agree that the PPC-660x/VX6000/SX66 is a little bigger and slimer than the treo. Just enough that, depending on the pants you wear, could make it pocket challenging device. I myself am not a pocket man, so I can only really tell you it is just fine on a belt.

I really would have to disagree with the claim for lack of 5way nav and stylus use. First of all I do think that the 5 way nav in the Treo is better, though only because programs have had a longer time to focus on including support for it. Remember who many programs did not support 5way nav when the treo 600 first came out?

With that said, even without specific support written for the 5way nav the 5way nav is very good on the 660x. The 14 hardware buttons are excellent (8 programable, power, plus 5way nav). See the Nav and One Handed sections in my post link above.

I can say this authority because I had a great opportunity to really test the navigation of the 6601 on the road WITHOUT using the stylus for 3 weeks.....which is a major con claimed by many 6601 detractors (mostly from aka Treo Diehard Defenders who have never even held a 6601...present company accepted) that you have to use the stylus for everything on the 6601.

I could still use the touch screen but the bottom 1/4 of it was WAY off calibration, if I could use it at all with touch. So I was left mostly with hardware buttons, the keyboard, and voice command for the majority of what I wanted to do.

This has only confirmed my original review of the ease of navigation with the 6601. I would first use voice command to dial a number, look up a contact, or launch a program. If I was not able to do that (i.e. in a business meetting), it was really easy to use the 5 way nav to launch any program I wanted. To manually look up a contact I just clicked the contact button and either 5 way nav'ed down or simply typed in first letters of the name. So I can now say that I rarely used the stylus for over a week on my 6601 while on the road with heavy phone, PDA, web browsing, and email use.

The only exception to this was games as so many cool games are stylus dependent.

Again, is the Treo more one handed friendly.....most certainly!!!!!! But is it that much of an difference to make a deal weighing decision.....certainly NOT!!!!!!
    Last edited by HobbesIsReal; 12/20/2004 at 02:16 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunder God
    here
    http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...hreadid=480707
  6. jda
    Quote Originally Posted by HobbesIsReal
    Again, is the Treo more one handed friendly.....most certainly!!!!!! But is it that much of an difference to make a deal weighing decision.....certainly NOT!!!!!!
    That was a very long response to my one sentence about the 5-way! I didn't use the XV6600 for a long period of time so I'll believe you that the 5-way works well on it.
    does anyone think the lack of expansion sd cards is enough to disqualify the sx66? it seems to me that is a valid reason to keep the 600/650 although the 66 does look cool
    Quote Originally Posted by cingularguy1234
    does anyone think the lack of expansion sd cards is enough to disqualify the sx66? it seems to me that is a valid reason to keep the 600/650 although the 66 does look cool
    Uh, I think the SX66 has an SD card.... The Cingular version has NO camera that I can see in the owners manual. That's not a show stopper for me...I never use the cameras in the phones anyway. Mine should deliver Wednesday.
    "Do the Chickens have large talons?" Napoleon Dynamite
    Quote Originally Posted by JDA
    That was a very long response to my one sentence about the 5-way! I didn't use the XV6600 for a long period of time so I'll believe you that the 5-way works well on it.
    Sorry JDA...I really wasn't jumping on you at all...I was in a hurry so I just copied and pasted an answer I posted someplace here quite a while back.

It does have an SD slot and it supports my 1 GB card and my Socket Wifi card very nicely.
    oh well then i say go 66 go
    Check out some of the other forums like Howard and Sprintpcsinfo to see the problems people are starting to have with the 6601. Two big ones are a constant beeping nobody can seem to get rid of and the fact that the slider cases are starting to show wear and tear. They are not as tight as new, wobbly and have a gap where none was before. Grass always has more fertilizer on the other side!
    Last edited by midmofan; 12/20/2004 at 08:01 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by midmofan
    Check out some of the other forums like Howard and Sprintpcs to see the problems people are starting to have with the 6601. Two big ones are a constant beeping nobody can seem to get rid of and the fact that the slider cases are starting to show wear and tear. They are not as tight as new, wobbly and have a gap where none was before. Grass always has more fertilizer on the other side!
    I have been on the other side for nearly 2 months now, and yes, IMHO the grass is greener over here and without the smell of manure.

The beeping issue is ONLY with the Sprint series of phones. VZ and Cing do not have, and never did have, that issue at all. I just got an email from Sprint National Sales Manager and they are on top of this issue. Combine this with Audiovox is just about to release a patch, this should be resolved in a very short order.

As for the keyboard, this is news to me. I don't doubt that with the law of averages there would not be issues, but in the several boards I frequent (including Howard Phones), I have not seen any major issues beyond one or two isolated situations. I have only heard that the keyboard is solid, like mine is. You have to remember that this phone is not a new untried phone (just new to the USA) since the PDA2k has been out for over a year now.....so we have had a fair chance for issues like this to come out.
    Global Posts
    1,936 Global Posts
    I too am a former user and avid fan of the Treo 600. However, I switched recently to the SX66 and I am thoroughly impressed. My one handed use has gotten better in just hours just like when I originally bought my treo 600. I hardly use my stylus now! And yes, it is smaller than I had expected and has a really nice solid feel.