Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 32
  1.    #1  
    it plugs in to the side of the hot sync cable but what type of plug plugs into it? can i just go radio shack and get a plug? or is it even for charging?
    thanks
  2. #2  
    Its to make the Treo compatible with Sprints standard car(and wall) chargers
  3. #3  
    That small cord if for standard adapters. Sprint is now standerdizing all of their phones to charge with 1 connector. If you plug the short cord to the end of the standard sprint connector, you can then charge your 650.
    This makes sense if you have a universal sprint car charger and do not want to purchase a new one, you can just attach this to the end and it will work.

    Also the hole in the side of the hot sync cable is for the charger that they put in the box. This way you can charge the phone while it is connected to the hotsync cable. Without it, your phone will not charge while connected to the computer through the hotsynch cable.
  4. #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by albertb
    Without it, your phone will not charge while connected to the computer through the hotsynch cable.

    Well, actually it will, but it is veeeerrrry slow. Kind of a trickle charge.
    Blue Skies,
    Wags
  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by skydivewags
    Well, actually it will, but it is veeeerrrry slow. Kind of a trickle charge.

    Mine increased by 1% in about an hour hardly enough to consider it charging.
  6. #6  
    The connector is a piece of garbage as is the data connector. Really stupid designs that are subject to wear and tear, contact damage and failure. By not employing a positive lock mechanism (such as the 600) you basically "tear" out the connectors each time. How long will that plastic/metal contact last in cycles ? Not long. I really wonder who the hell makes these decisions at P1... it sure is not a competent product engineer, that is for sure. Add that to meager memory as another easily avoided flaw.

    Here's a thought on power and data cables... if the cell phone or PC industry standardized on just one good interface, how many $billions of dollars might be saved in unnecessary design, engineering, manufacturing and distribution ?... not to mention the convenience for all users. I suspect it would feed all starving people on the planet in our lifetime. What a wasteful industrial culture we run... totally without smarts.
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by eclipse
    The connector is a piece of garbage as is the data connector. Really stupid designs that are subject to wear and tear, contact damage and failure. By not employing a positive lock mechanism (such as the 600) you basically "tear" out the connectors each time. How long will that plastic/metal contact last in cycles ? Not long. I really wonder who the hell makes these decisions at P1... it sure is not a competent product engineer, that is for sure. Add that to meager memory as another easily avoided flaw.

    Here's a thought on power and data cables... if the cell phone or PC industry standardized on just one good interface, how many $billions of dollars might be saved in unnecessary design, engineering, manufacturing and distribution ?... not to mention the convenience for all users. I suspect it would feed all starving people on the planet in our lifetime. What a wasteful industrial culture we run... totally without smarts.
    First off, the design is not a bad idea, it is very useful and allow people to have one charger and give them the ability to use it on its own, or with the sync cable - depending on their needs.

    These things are no more subject to wear and tear than any other connectors. If you look at standard connectors on other mobile phones, those break all the time as well - and I still haven't heard of a treo 600 or 650 charger connector breaking nor have I ever had problems with mine.

    The reason they made this connector is so that you can use the standard charger and at the same time use a Treo 650 multiple use charger and sync cable. Efficient if you ask me. The key is to keep as many people as possible satisfied, not just one person. With the combination they have you can either just synch, just charge, synch and charge or charge in the car without having to buy a new charger.

    You talk about saving money - this is a way of saving money. If you had a phone previously with a standard connector, you don't need to buy a new home or car charger to use your old goods.

    Billions of dollars might be saved? Apparently you are not very knowledgable when it comes to business. Why would PalmOne or any other company want to create a really generic product where there would definetly be high amounts of competition. If they built the phone with the standard charge port, there would be thousands of companies who make the standard charger cheaper than them, and they would not make money.

    We may live in a wasteful industrial culture, but I don't think you can blame that on PalmOne's decision of charger type. If everything was standardized, how would we ever make advancements?
    Why do research and development on different platforms, maybe all software should work on all platforms. Or there should only be one platform so that no one who have to waste time and money developing other more efficient ones. Same goes with software, take the first one made and call it universal. Never make improvements so you won't waste money.

    Sorry, your post just doesn't make sense to me, PalmOne's decisions does.
  8. #8  
    I might further add to the great points made above that it is contrary to what you think a good decision to make things this way.

    The more things break, the more you have to buy which churns up the economy in an obvious way (more materials have to be produced to build more products to sell for more profit). The more they change the standards, the more you have to buy; again churning up the economy.

    In the Air Force we call it job security...The aircraft parts business is rife with this procedure....build a bulb, filter, connector to last for 1000 aircraft hours and you sell "a" amount. Build that same part to last 100 aircraft hours and you sell "b" amount. "b" amount theoretically being 10x "a" amount.

    Genius if you ask me...
  9. #9  
    Not to inject too much common economical sense into a tech board, but: making things easy to break isn't good for the economy. It's a net loss. If my sync cable breaks, I'm out the money I spent for it originally (built into the phone or on its own), along with the money I have to spend on its replacement--which I'm now NOT able to spend on something else. It might be good for PalmOne (unless I lose satisfaction, and never buy from them again), but NOT for the economy as a whole.

    It drives me crazy when people talk about the recent hurricanes as if they were good things, economically. Imagine what could have been done with the billions it's cost to clean things up. It's great if you're in the building industry in Florida, but not so great if you're selling just about anything else.
  10. #10  
    Wish the other cell carriers started using a universal plug. I'm tired of buying new chargers every time I sign a new contract.
  11. #11  
    Why doesn't Palm use a standard USB, or a mini USB connector?
  12. #12  
    anybody know where I can find/buy/get a couple more of these "short" connectors. I'd love to leave one in my house, my car, and my computer bag.
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by rick325
    anybody know where I can find/buy/get a couple more of these "short" connectors. I'd love to leave one in my house, my car, and my computer bag.
    It is time for the era of wireless charging to begin. Imagine that, no connectors. The charger plugs in and transmits without wires to a receiver built into the phone. A novel idea.

    Eric
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by rick325
    anybody know where I can find/buy/get a couple more of these "short" connectors. I'd love to leave one in my house, my car, and my computer bag.
    Call P1 I am sure they will sell them
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32
    Not to inject too much common economical sense into a tech board, but: making things easy to break isn't good for the economy. It's a net loss. If my sync cable breaks, I'm out the money I spent for it originally (built into the phone or on its own), along with the money I have to spend on its replacement--which I'm now NOT able to spend on something else. It might be good for PalmOne (unless I lose satisfaction, and never buy from them again), but NOT for the economy as a whole.

    It drives me crazy when people talk about the recent hurricanes as if they were good things, economically. Imagine what could have been done with the billions it's cost to clean things up. It's great if you're in the building industry in Florida, but not so great if you're selling just about anything else.
    Now, I am no economy major, but I just don't beleive you are right here. I am not saying making something to break is a good economic decision, BUT...If they made the cord so that it never broke and never needed replacing or upgrading they would only ever sell one cord to me. By making it change every couple of years or wear out after a while or break after a certain amount of stress they insure that I will buy another. You can't tell me that a company selling more of something is not good economic sense. Sure I will be a at a sort of loss, but that is only if I expected that one purchase to last forever. I for one do not buy a cell phone with the intention that is going to be the only one I buy ever.

    Plus, if they are making more products and selling more products then they need more material, more man hours and thus they are paying more to workers for that production which in turn is put into taxes and consumer goods....It is a cycle, no?

    And of course the Hurricanes were not good, different story there (IMO). Agreed, never having the hurricanes would have been better for this area where I live (Tampa). And of course you are correct in stating that the money spent on clean-up would have been better spent on other things.

    Just a humble guys opinion...
  16. #16  
    I think this little cable fits my charger for the Sprint Samsung A400 phone. Anyone try that yet? I'm chicken.
  17. #17  
    do it
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by kirkeric
    It is time for the era of wireless charging to begin. Imagine that, no connectors. The charger plugs in and transmits without wires to a receiver built into the phone. A novel idea.

    Eric
    Inductive charging has been out for a long time, I think it's slower though..
    Look at a the Braun Toothbrush
    http://home.howstuffworks.com/question292.htm
  19. #19  
    wireless charging is a great idea - my electric toothbrush charges this way. You would need a specialized cradle and hardware in the base of the device to act as a mini transformer. I don't know how feasible it is in a phone, but it would be cool.
  20. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by albertb
    First off, the design is not a bad idea, it is very useful and allow people to have one charger and give them the ability to use it on its own, or with the sync cable - depending on their needs.

    These things are no more subject to wear and tear than any other connectors. If you look at standard connectors on other mobile phones, those break all the time as well - and I still haven't heard of a treo 600 or 650 charger connector breaking nor have I ever had problems with mine.

    The reason they made this connector is so that you can use the standard charger and at the same time use a Treo 650 multiple use charger and sync cable. Efficient if you ask me. The key is to keep as many people as possible satisfied, not just one person. With the combination they have you can either just synch, just charge, synch and charge or charge in the car without having to buy a new charger.

    You talk about saving money - this is a way of saving money. If you had a phone previously with a standard connector, you don't need to buy a new home or car charger to use your old goods.
    .
    My charger connector just broke by simply picking it up while connected to the phone
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions