Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb
    But CDMA phones don't have SIM cards....
    Let me guess... you use Sprint
    Egerly waiting the fix.
    Quote Originally Posted by archie
    They already have to compress and decompress.

I still think they should have rewriten the Contacts app to take advantage of the SIM card storage. They would solve many problems in doing this.

They would give users faster access, conserve space in PalmOne's new inefficient storage technology, no dialing delay...
    Sims com in 64mb now right? how much is usable?
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb
    But CDMA phones don't have SIM cards....
    I hope that when Sprint roles out EV-DO, and either EV-DO Release A or EV-DV they switch over to R-UIM (basically CDMA SIM card that is backwards compatible with GSM SIM). I also hope they only release a single GSM/CDMA radio for next Treo so that all of the phones are the same. The technology exists right now for both to happen on the next gen product.
    Quote Originally Posted by archie
    Let me guess... you use Sprint
    Uh, let's see. Since only the Sprint version of the 650 has been released, EVERYONE with a 650 is using Sprint (except for the intrepid few who have hacked it to work on Verizon). Point is, this thread is about 650 memory, and there are currently no 650s with SIM cards available.

On top of which, Palm seems to try to keep the software as standardized as possible across all their devices. The contacts app must work across the CDMS Treos as well as the Tungsten line, so it's doubtful they'll add SIM capability to it.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    I highly doubt that reading/writing to a SIM, however convenient for GSM users, would do anything to help performance.

One of my least favorite memories from my years with T-Mobile was waiting up to 2 minutes for my phone (Samsung S-105) to "load" the SIM card data every time I turned it on. What a pain!
    I've been a 300---600 and now 650 treo user and never posted until now. this memory issue is unacceptable. When I converted it crashed multiple times until I deleted an inordinate amount of software that the 600 easily handled. Finally I had to partially install epocrates(yes I've read your posts on what a memory hog it is, but palm should have provided us with more capacity up front) to get it to synch without crashing or freezing. And to get tech support for this device from a phone company--Sprint--what a joke.

And now the delay when making a phone call from the contacts list is often easily 5 secs. I guess the merger with nextel makes sense as those customers are use to delays when placing a call.... If any users have a suggestion/work around particularly with the latter part of my post I'd love to hear it. If they don't fix it soon I'm thinking of ditching the 650. Just my 2cts. RP
    R. Pruitt
    I was encouraged by your post on the 15th of December. Wondering if you have seen any further signs indicating that we are getting any closer to improvements in this area. My feeling is that the GSM Treo 650 will likely not be released until Plmo has made specific progress in this area.
    Quote Originally Posted by sleepysurf
    Well, unfortunately for ME, as a physician, the memory issue has turned out to be a problem. I can only load 1/2 the medical refs I had on my 600. I've had the 650 for 12 days, and after ~5 endless reset loops, and 2 hard resets, it's going back to Sprint tomorrow. The screen and NEW features are great, but IMHO, it's not ready for prime-time (at least for professionals). Unless PalmOne comes up with a quick fix, I'll have to switch to PocketPC. The future in medicine is digital information, and the 650 ain't ready.

Never saw a PDA used in that way, but interesting. I know a few doctors who are using the Motion Computing tablet quite successfully. Maybe you should check that out, instead.
    GSM carriers and VZW will definitely benefit from the early adopters. You all deserve to be given free service as beta testers.
    Quote Originally Posted by sleepysurf
    Here's an interesting update. I wasted 5 hrs today TRYING (one last time) to load my apps from scratch, but kept getting *HUNG" during HotSync. Before giving up, I called Sprint Support and was transferred to a Tech nicknamed "Goldie" who turned out to VERY helpful, and we drilled down to solve the problem...

If anybody else is having similar issues, call Sprint... their tech support (at least Goldie) are right on top of things.
    I'm glad you posted this. It appears that Sprint CS has improved. I never had a Sprint rep drill into anything in my past experience. Hopefully, this is not an isolated incident. If I read more examples like this, I'll consider them when my hitch is up.
    Quote Originally Posted by kirkeric
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sleepysurf
    Well, unfortunately for ME, as a physician, the memory issue has turned out to be a problem. I can only load 1/2 the medical refs I had on my 600. I've had the 650 for 12 days, and after ~5 endless reset loops, and 2 hard resets, it's going back to Sprint tomorrow. The screen and NEW features are great, but IMHO, it's not ready for prime-time (at least for professionals). Unless PalmOne comes up with a quick fix, I'll have to switch to PocketPC. The future in medicine is digital information, and the 650 ain't ready.

I hope you can hold off on going to Pocket PC. From my experience it sucks.
    Eric
    I actually happen to agree with Sleepy. I am not in the Medical profession, but I had to jump over to the PPC-6600 for very similar reasons.
    It actually is quite easy and efficient to use. Here is my review from a Treo's users point of perspective:
    Innocent 650 vs 6601 Business Trip Showdown
    Using 6601 On the Road for Week.....
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic
    Epocrates is a pos bloatware. Unless you have the premium version, I say get rid of that monstrousity and get Tarascon instead...a much better app with card support! There are ways using advantagerx and zlauncher to move most of the crap that Epoc installs to the card to save space, but it's cumbersome and always comes back whenever you update. In general, Epocrates is a very poorly written and bloatware app and should be absolutely boycotted untill the devs over there learn how to properly write an app that supports the expansion card!!!
    Yeah, Tarascon looks great. Too bad any attempt to access any database entry (drug, category, table, etc.) caused an immediate soft reset on my device. ePocrates may be mediocre, but it's not only free, it doesn't crash my Treo!

UPDATED: OK, tarascon needs to better automate their download process, but they manually sent me the Treo-specific version of the Pharmacopeia, and I must say it rocks. By the time I finished napalming the several dozen files comprising ePocrates, I got back almost 5MB! I think that's worth $28 a year.
    Last edited by Ethereal; 02/08/2005 at 01:11 PM. Reason: Update
    PEG N760C>Treo 600>iPaq4350>Zaurus SL-5600>Zaurus SL-6000L>Treo 650
    I don't understand. There is only so much you can do with what is given. How would you miracoulosly re-do anything in the memory with software to release more. NVFS is NVFS, what could a patch possibly do? Maybe I'm missing something here, but I would think any patch offering any "fix" for the lack of memory is a pipe dream. Prove me wrong- please.

If a leprachaun programmer came a long and rebuild the whole thing and whammo- we have more memory. Wouldn't THAT mean all those 3d party programs written for the current memory would now be broken again and we would be at square zero again?!

How about this- Grab a different chip off the shelf and start out at 128mb. That way we will only be like 5 years behind.

Sheesh
    Quote Originally Posted by zorro869
    How would you miracoulosly re-do anything in the memory with software to release more. NVFS is NVFS, what could a patch possibly do? Maybe I'm missing something here, but I would think any patch offering any "fix" for the lack of memory is a pipe dream. Prove me wrong- please.
    My guess is they'll find a way to reduce the 512 byte cluster size thereby freeing up memory to be used for other storage.
    MarkEagle
    .....<a href="http://discussion.treocentral.com/tcforum/index.php?s=">TreoCentral</a> | <a href="http://discussion.visorcentral.com/vcforum/index.php?s=">VisorCentral</a> Forum Moderator - Forum Guidelines
    .....Sprint PCS Treo 650
    .....God bless America, my home sweet home...
    Quote Originally Posted by 100thMonkey
    sure they Beta test, that's what Sprint users are for
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkEagle
    My guess is they'll find a way to reduce the 512 byte cluster size thereby freeing up memory to be used for other storage.
    And what I am asking is:

Is that 512 byte cluster size is due to the type of RAM, and therefore NOT changeable?
    Quote Originally Posted by zorro869
    and therefore NOT changeable?
    That I don't know. I'm just guessing what they might be able to do. It would seem that something could be done to change the cluster size (it's been done on hard drives for years), or at least how data is stored in those clusters. Who knows, maybe they're busy re-writing all the apps to use the memory more efficiently... only time will tell.
    MarkEagle
    .....<a href="http://discussion.treocentral.com/tcforum/index.php?s=">TreoCentral</a> | <a href="http://discussion.visorcentral.com/vcforum/index.php?s=">VisorCentral</a> Forum Moderator - Forum Guidelines
    .....Sprint PCS Treo 650
    .....God bless America, my home sweet home...
    The cluster size is inversely proportional to the number of clusters that the File Allocation Table (FAT) is able to handle.

Increase the number of clusters that the table can reference and you can reduce the size of each cluster when you format the storage medium (i.e. the NVFS).

On a DOS-formatted hard drive, the FAT is limited to 65536 clusters. That is a fixed number in DOS. When disks were relatively small in capacity, it wasn't a problem. You could have small clusters. As drives got bigger, the number of clusters remained the same and they had to increase the size of the clusters in order for the file system to allocate storage.

The same situation exists in the 650's NVFS memory architecture. My guess is they will rewrite the FAT so that it can have more clusters, so that they can then reduce the allocated size of each cluster. So instead of 65536 512-byte clusters, you'll have ~256000 128-byte clusters.

Nothing physically changes in the hardware. It's a change in the way the storage medium is divided up when writing information to it. The Non-Volatile File System is simply SD Card memory that has been integrated into the system and is being treated like an old-fashioned RAM disk where information is swapped in and out of volatile memory. The Treo 650 has 10 megabytes of normal volatile RAM that is used when applications are actually running. The 32MB of "memory" is really just a solid-state hard drive on a chip.
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

Palm V--> Palm IIIc--> Visor Prism--> Visor Phone--> Treo 270--> Treo 600--> Treo 650-->
    Treo 700wx--> HTC Touch Diamond--> Palm Pre & HTC EVO 4G.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123