Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by kirkeric
    Please elaborate. Are you saying that it is NOT a software fix? (as I anticipated it wouldn't be).

Eric
    I meant shipped digitally, not physically.

Supposedly there will be some software fix they will make available. (I have strong doubts how fast they can do this).

I am pretty sure it will not be a physical fix; they are NOT gong to swap out equpiment - they would go out of business.

My point is that until P1 posts a hotfix to this problem, there is no news.

Internal discussion do not excite me. They had those about BT 1.2, Full BT profiles, Wi-fi, and look where those went.
    Yep, ePocrates, and it can't run from the SD card. I also have two pocketmedicine texts, and only portions can go on SD. I want to buy 2-3 more electronic texts, but no room left on ROM. I also use Avantgo for my Anesthesia CME (great site BTW... answerpage.com), but Avantgo is way too slow off SD. I've loaded as much of Docs To Go onto the SD, but it still needs SOME files in ROM. Part of my problem is that I have over 2500 Memo records with Medical Notes, but don't want to convert to another format. I'm sure PalmOne/Sprint *will* eventually upgrade the ROM, via hardware or software fix, but there is no guarantee they will replace our "early adopter" devices, if it's a hardware solution. Very disappointing, but I've gotta bail for now. I just hope I can easily go back to the 600 and old Palm Desktop.
  3.    #23  
    My info comes from a very good source and I actually may get a unit that has been "fixed" shortly. I will know more tomorrow. (Eric, I am an X-Files fan!)
    Quote Originally Posted by 100thMonkey
    sure they Beta test, that's what Sprint users are for

That would mean that the GSM version would be the "post" beta version and be bug free.
    Quote Originally Posted by sleepysurf
    Yep, ePocrates, and it can't run from the SD card. I also have two pocketmedicine texts, and only portions can go on SD. I want to buy 2-3 more electronic texts, but no room left on ROM. I also use Avantgo for my Anesthesia CME (great site BTW... answerpage.com), but Avantgo is way too slow off SD. I've loaded as much of Docs To Go onto the SD, but it still needs SOME files in ROM. Part of my problem is that I have over 2500 Memo records with Medical Notes, but don't want to convert to another format. I'm sure PalmOne/Sprint *will* eventually upgrade the ROM, via hardware or software fix, but there is no guarantee they will replace our "early adopter" devices, if it's a hardware solution. Very disappointing, but I've gotta bail for now. I just hope I can easily go back to the 600 and old Palm Desktop.
    I also have over 300+ MB of medical texts, apps on my Treo 600's card and I fully expect to use almost all of them on my 650 (whenever it arrives) on my 650 by using various memory managers like Zlauncher, MsMount etc. Thus you might reconsider...

Anyway a few points:

Epocrates is a pos bloatware. Unless you have the premium version, I say get rid of that monstrousity and get Tarascon instead...a much better app with card support! There are ways using advantagerx and zlauncher to move most of the crap that Epoc installs to the card to save space, but it's cumbersome and always comes back whenever you update. In general, Epocrates is a very poorly written and bloatware app and should be absolutely boycotted untill the devs over there learn how to properly write an app that supports the expansion card!!!

Secondly concerning avantgo. I also have avantgo on my T600, but always keep the whole app on the card using Zlauncher. This is much easier than trying to fiddle and move individual avantgo files to the card. Just move the whole apps to the card via zlauncher and then manually move it back to ram whenever you need to use it. Then manually move it back to the card when your done...it's as simple as tap-and-hold. The reason I do this is b/c I don't always want to move all my cached pages or channels to the card automatically. Also, this reduces the time to wait everytime you want to launch avantgo. Furthermore, I rarely bother to update my avantgo channel at all...why bother when you can wirelessly browse the channels anyway via my wireless acct? Just keep a list your most important channels on your subscriptions and wireless browse them when necessary...

Finally in relation to your memo records. There are numerous free and easy ways to export your memo record from your Treo...even though you may not want to! For example there is a freeware app called Memo2Doc that will convert your memos to pdocs which you can then move to your card and open with various free palmdoc readers like ereader or SiED. Finally there are various freeware apps like Megamemos that will directly let you edit export your memos to the pc...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
  6.    #26  
    You are right Mikec. I am guessing this is a some sort of sw fix myself. I will be surprised if I get a hardware fix...I will wait and see.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikec
    I meant shipped digitally, not physically.

Supposedly there will be some software fix they will make available. (I have strong doubts how fast they can do this).

I am pretty sure it will not be a physical fix; they are NOT gong to swap out equpiment - they would go out of business.

My point is that until P1 posts a hotfix to this problem, there is no news.

Internal discussion do not excite me. They had those about BT 1.2, Full BT profiles, Wi-fi, and look where those went.
    Got it. Yes, nothing is going to happen until you see the little message flashing on your phone and does the download. That happened at least on 2 occasions with my 600.

Eric
    Global Posts
    147 Global Posts
    I don't know, but I would imagine the fix for the RAM consumption will be related to the 512byte minimum allocation unit ("sector"). It appears every database record gets at least 1 sector (more if the record is larger than 512 bytes). I'm pretty sure the fix will reduce that to something more reasonable, like 128 bytes. Yes, the hardware does the read/write in 512 byte sectors and that's fine. But the firmware can be updated to bundle multiple smaller records into a single sector. So while an NVFS read/write might have to process sectors, the app might only receive one of 4 128 byte records in that sector. This is how computer disk access works so the concept is hardly new. The question is how hard will it be for PalmOne to implement?

Sleepy - re: your memos. 2500 memos? That's got to be a pain to manage. If I were you I'd either convert to a handful of Word docs (since you have Docs to Go) or, even better, toss 'em on a web server somewhere and just access them wirelessly when needed. Doing so would allow advanced search capabilities, easy sharing, etc.
    - Fushigi
    Quote Originally Posted by IsLNdbOi
    That would mean that the GSM version would be the "post" beta version and be bug free.
    Maybe. I suspect there are already many thousands of GSMs sitting in boxes, waiting to be shipped once Sprint's exclusivity period is up.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    yup, I agree
    La Vie En Diaspora: Enfin, une émission qui raconte votre vie aux Etats-Unis

Treo 600 in December '03, Treo 650 in February '05, HTC TyTN Pro in August '06, and back to Treo 750 in January '07, find me at MyTreo.net

About me: story of the 100thMonkey
    Quote Originally Posted by LordPhong
    I thought I read somewhere that the fix will be software and it has to do something with compressing what's in memory. Remember the good old days when there were softwares to compress your ram to "increase" the size? I think that's the cheapest solution.
    Compression is not an acceptable solution. If they can patch the OS to eliminate the 512 sector requirement (so small files don't gobble memory) then they would have a partial solution. I hope they're not pinning their hopes on a ZLauncher like soultion either - it works fairly well, but it's like going back to the bad old days of EMM386 in DOS to use extended versus expanded memory (ouch, that made my head hurt).
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    Quote Originally Posted by IsLNdbOi
    Once again, the Sprint beta team comes through for a bug free GSM experience!
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    Ok look... Its one thing to be Guinee pig, being constantly reminded of it is a whole nother...
    Thanks for all the tips. I might try Zlauncher, but for *most* folks, managing apps on the Treo should be a no-brainer, simple and transparent. I'm afraid PalmOne has destroyed the "Zen" of the Palm OS. I spent 3 hrs last night, trying once more to load everything after a hard reset... now my Treo won't sync at all. I just don't have time for all this.
    Here's an interesting update. I wasted 5 hrs today TRYING (one last time) to load my apps from scratch, but kept getting *HUNG" during HotSync. Before giving up, I called Sprint Support and was transferred to a Tech nicknamed "Goldie" who turned out to VERY helpful, and we drilled down to solve the problem. As it turns out, the REAL memory problem is a virtual memory bottleneck that can get overwhelmed during sync of large data files. After doing a Hard Reset, and trying to sync everything back at once, I kept getting "stuck" part way through. Goldie had me sync back large databases ONE AT A TIME, and that worked. I quit when down to ~4 megs of free ROM. She assured me that PalmOne/Sprint is burning the midnight oil on the entire memory issue, and they ABSOLUTELY will have a fix. I was so impressed by her knowledge and optimism, that I'm gonna hold onto this (semi) functioning device a bit longer and see what Palm comes up with. My gut feeling (watching the stock price <g>) is they will have a definite fix SOONER, rather than later. I commented that the digital future in medicine, law, etc. is rapidly advancing, and PalmOne needs to keep up or be history. She said they are quite aware of that. If anybody else is having similar issues, call Sprint... their tech support (at least Goldie) are right on top of things.
    So what did PalmOne test on this device anyway??? Seems like basic things like Hotsyncs should have been caught in basic testing. Maybe PalmOne should be "burning the midnight oil" during the development and not wait till they have the devices deployed in the field.

PalmOne should be ashamed to release a 2nd gen device with this many major problems. I did not have any problems with my 600 and I got one of the first ones.
    Agree fully. We are doing the Beta Testing for them this go round. Shame on them. I suspect the marketing folks said it HAD to ship in Dec, period. Now they are scrambling for their lives. Unfortunately, there are lots of Tech companies selling betaware (PaperPort 10 is another fine example!).
  18.    #38  
    Well, my inside connection for this memory fix information bolted on me for some reason. I was attempting to get a T650 X'mas gift (free) from a member of my family. (significant Palm vendor) I am still hoping to find out what the fix is going to be and when it will be released. They may have seen my post on this site actually. Who knows. I will post more as I find out.
    Quote Originally Posted by LordPhong
    I thought I read somewhere that the fix will be software and it has to do something with compressing what's in memory. Remember the good old days when there were softwares to compress your ram to "increase" the size? I think that's the cheapest solution.
    They already have to compress and decompress.

I still think they should have rewriten the Contacts app to take advantage of the SIM card storage. They would solve many problems in doing this.

They would give users faster access, conserve space in PalmOne's new inefficient storage technology, no dialing delay...
    Quote Originally Posted by archie

I still think they should have rewriten the Contacts app to take advantage of the SIM card storage. They would solve many problems in doing this.
    But CDMA phones don't have SIM cards....
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast