Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I just thought of sharing this news with others in this forum. MantraGroup is offering 20% off on all its products marking their 1st year anniversary. Related news is on their home page: http://www.mantragroup.com

We now get Causerie standard for about 19$ and premier for 27$. Similarily, callshield is priced at $19.

I guess its worth looking at them.

--Justin
    this is cool
    Does this 20% off really matter? More important is where does Causerie standard or premier stand as compared to VeriChat?
    Causerie standard is much better than Verichat. Causerie has a lot many features, looks better and is very stable. Verichat is basically just trying to copy features from Causerie (e-mail and phone tagging).
    Quote Originally Posted by cooldude
    Causerie standard is much better than Verichat. Causerie has a lot many features, looks better and is very stable. Verichat is basically just trying to copy features from Causerie (e-mail and phone tagging).
    Much better in what ways? I am interested, everytime I ask, no one can tell me. I have had Verichat for hmm 2 years+ I think. I never crash Verichat, nver had a problem, more stable in what ways?
    Verichat 270 and 600 GSM.
    OK!! a good question. I have been using Causerie since its launch and i liked it a lot. I use the bots heavily to get real-time information on stocks, weather etc etc. I liked the concept of skins and of course the phone and email tagging (which eventually verichat seemed to copy ) ..

I can adjust my chat area the way I want and I can have my favorite skins as the background and listing like this, i find many more handy features.

ok!! now let me pose a question to you since you are LONG TERM user of verichat. what does verichat have something EXTRA which is not there in Causerie?

with Causerie version 2.0 scheduled for release soon, SMS functionality and Treo 650 support is also available in the new version.
    Renaming contacts is one of my favorite things about Causerie.
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
    Well!! an inetersting question posed by iamsocrates. There are NO significant advantages of Verichat over causerie other than being the first comer in the market.

but hey!! first comers doesnt mean that they do all things in a better way as it is evident from Verichat. Verichat guys have been in market for last 2+ years and what ever they did it in 2 years, Causerie got it in its firts release + some extra features which the first comers had to copy.. Causerie is growing consistently and in spite of being late entrants, they are doing pretty good. way to go Causerie!!
    I think you guys should just download Verichat 2.48 and see for yourself what Verichat has which Causerie does not have. Check it out for yourself, and you will know it when you see it. The difference list is quite long: SMS, 650 support, File Transfer, far more advanced logging support, sync IMs to email, custom status, etc.

So far I've only heard things that Causerie does not have (SMS, File Transfer, No real support for anything other than the Treo 600) and things that VeriChat does certainly have (customizable chat window, renaming contacts, phone and email tagging-- I recall being able to email an offline buddy in Verichat 2 years ago). I use AOLYellowPages and WSJ in Verichat to get my 411 information and my stock quotes.

Who's copying whom? let's be fair, Verichat existed for 2+ years with 20+ updates. Then Causerie comes along and tries to clone Verichat (copying?), and adds some "additional" features, and then Verichat comes back with their next rev., and Causerie will copy again to try to keep up, and so on. Duh!
  10.    #10  
    wow!! an interesting discussion indeed!! i am with Causerie and fully agree with cooldude. Causerie is doing good and will certainly replace Verichat.
    Quote Originally Posted by iamsocrates
    OK!! a good question. I have been using Causerie since its launch and i liked it a lot. I use the bots heavily to get real-time information on stocks, weather etc etc. I liked the concept of skins and of course the phone and email tagging (which eventually verichat seemed to copy ) ..

I can adjust my chat area the way I want and I can have my favorite skins as the background and listing like this, i find many more handy features.

ok!! now let me pose a question to you since you are LONG TERM user of verichat. what does verichat have something EXTRA which is not there in Causerie?

with Causerie version 2.0 scheduled for release soon, SMS functionality and Treo 650 support is also available in the new version.
    Well since I dont' have it, I don't know. The number one thing is I don't pay a yearly fee. So Causerie really needs to do back flips to beat that one.
    Quote Originally Posted by treo_fanatic
    I think you guys should just download Verichat 2.48 and see for yourself what Verichat has which Causerie does not have. Check it out for yourself, and you will know it when you see it. The difference list is quite long: SMS, 650 support, File Transfer, far more advanced logging support, sync IMs to email, custom status, etc.
    Dowloaded it yesterday for the first time so I could take a look and compare for myself. Many of the differences you list will be added in the 2.0 version coming out soon.

So far I've only heard things that Causerie does not have (SMS, File Transfer, No real support for anything other than the Treo 600) and things that VeriChat does certainly have (customizable chat window, renaming contacts, phone and email tagging-- I recall being able to email an offline buddy in Verichat 2 years ago). I use AOLYellowPages and WSJ in Verichat to get my 411 information and my stock quotes.
    How do you rename contacts in Verichat? I tried to yesterday but couldn't figure it out.

EDIT -- never mind, I figured it out (User Error, see sig below)

From what I remember, Causerie should work on all PalmOS devices and they've stated they will be providing versions for PocketPC, J2ME, Blackberry (I think I remember seeing them state Symbian) OSs as well..

Who's copying whom? let's be fair, Verichat existed for 2+ years with 20+ updates. Then Causerie comes along and tries to clone Verichat (copying?), and adds some "additional" features, and then Verichat comes back with their next rev., and Causerie will copy again to try to keep up, and so on. Duh!
    I agree with you here in that Verichat has been around a lot longer. Some features in Causerie might be attributed to Verichat and vice-versa, although many of the features we expect from these mobile IM clients are inspired by the desktop multi-medium IM clients like Trillian or from specific features supported by AIM/Yahoo etc.

Nothing like a little healthy competition to advance both products!

13.    #13  

correct me if i am mistaken, i saw the email and phone tagging in latest version of verichat but not in the previous version.

about the stock quotes, you had this nice solution on AOL. does the same exist on yahoo and MSN? how about other bots like ebay and many more!! do you have a solution for them as well.

Looking at Causerie, i always felt that the product was built from scratch as there were nothing to copy from Verichat (except the fact that both are IM clients)

anyway, it looks like competition is making both the products better and hence more useful to the user.
    Does it work with the Treo 650? If so, I would like to try it.
    Some folks have gotten Causerie to work on their 650s but the next version coming (2.0) will be "certified" to run on the 650. Should be release in the next few weeks, at least for beta testing

Quote Originally Posted by scottymomo

Dowloaded it yesterday for the first time so I could take a look and compare for myself. Many of the differences you list will be added in the 2.0 version coming out soon.

Ah, I get this game now. The current version of program A is as good as the "next" version of program B. Sounds good.
    Agreed that it's comparing apples (current software versions) to oranges (upcoming versions).

Guess it depends what features are important to each individual. Some of the things that exist in verichat today (SMS, File Transfer, for example) that don't in Causerie today aren't important to me so I can compare them together today for my needs.

To each his own and I'm glad there are at least 2 good choices of IM clients available to us

Quote Originally Posted by cglaguna
    Well since I dont' have it, I don't know. The number one thing is I don't pay a yearly fee. So Causerie really needs to do back flips to beat that one.
    I thought Verichat had a yearly fee also. Were you grandfathered in under a very old rate structure?
    Quote Originally Posted by iamsocrates

...I use the bots heavily to get real-time information on stocks, weather etc etc...
    I don't like the idea of 'subscription' software at all! The 20% discount is just a way to lock you into paying fees forever.

Hand/RSS works great by the way for getting all kinds of information from the web quickly and without charge.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaytee
    I thought Verichat had a yearly fee also. Were you grandfathered in under a very old rate structure?
    Yeah, way back when this all started, you could pay a lifetime fee, I think it was $50 bucks.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast