1.    #1  
    I posted two reviews at e2ksecurity.com: one of the Treo 650 (http://www.e2ksecurity.com/archives/001213.html) and one of the Audiovox SMT5600 (http://www.e2ksecurity.com/archives/001214.html#001214). Drop by if you're interested; I welcome comments and suggestions.
    Thanks, nice reviews. I'm on the fence between the 650, the 5600 and the BB 7100t and this helped. Still can't decide, though. If the 650 was bug free...
    Global Posts
    211 Global Posts
    I almost went with the 5600. I tried it out at the ATT store 3 times. But the price of the data plan was just too high. Total rip off IMHO. I am glad I went with the 650 for now.
    Grace & Peace,

utey
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by utey
    I almost went with the 5600. I tried it out at the ATT store 3 times. But the price of the data plan was just too high. Total rip off IMHO. I am glad I went with the 650 for now.
    I purposefully didn't include the carrier cost in my review criteria, because it can vary so much (plus, the 5600 is easily unlockable, so you can always use it with T-Mobile if you prefer). You're right, though; I wasn't impressed with AT&T's pricing or services during the time I had the 5600.
    I did go from a Treo 600 (Sprint) to a 5600 on AT&T. I am not sure exactly why I did (I love the Treo).

It was mostly due to the fact I was having problems with my 600, sick of waiting for the 650, and got a great corporate discount on AT&T. A part of me also wanted to try a different type of phone anyway.

In short, the 5600 is a great phone. I love the size, and the voice quality is great. It is also good for just basic web browsing. The cam is also better than the 600.

But, if you need a PDA and think you could get by with the 5600, you are wrong. It is not a very good PDA. You don't realize how important the palm PDA apps where until they are gone. It just takes a LOT more work to enter a appointment when out on the road. If you are a "View Only" type of PDA user, this unit may be OK (it does not include a memo app btw), but putting in info while away from your desk was not fun at all.

I have gone back to using the wifes Treo 90 until the 650 is released on Cingular. The 5600 will be on ebay shortly after.
    Global Posts
    211 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Milo Bloom
    I did go from a Treo 600 (Sprint) to a 5600 on AT&T. I am not sure exactly why I did (I love the Treo).

It was mostly due to the fact I was having problems with my 600, sick of waiting for the 650, and got a great corporate discount on AT&T. A part of me also wanted to try a different type of phone anyway.

In short, the 5600 is a great phone. I love the size, and the voice quality is great. It is also good for just basic web browsing. The cam is also better than the 600.

But, if you need a PDA and think you could get by with the 5600, you are wrong. It is not a very good PDA. You don't realize how important the palm PDA apps where until they are gone. It just takes a LOT more work to enter a appointment when out on the road. If you are a "View Only" type of PDA user, this unit may be OK (it does not include a memo app btw), but putting in info while away from your desk was not fun at all.

I have gone back to using the wifes Treo 90 until the 650 is released on Cingular. The 5600 will be on ebay shortly after.

Yea that is the other big reason I did not go with the 5600. I do enter things quite a bit when I am not at my desk.
    Grace & Peace,

utey
    Global Posts
    571 Global Posts
  8. jda
    Quote Originally Posted by utey
    The unlimited data plan is $25 and if you unlock and go to Cingular it's $20. Still not as cheap as Sprint ($15) but I wouldn't call that a total rip off. Verizon ($45) IS a total rip off. What price did you see in the ATT store?
    Global Posts
    211 Global Posts
    I was going to get two phones and share data plans. I was told i could not do that with ATT. You can and I do with sprint. I should have said that earlier. $20 is not a bad deal. But 15 is better!
    Grace & Peace,

utey